PDA

View Full Version : My first hognose.

nicks75
02-12-12, 06:23 PM
Got this guy today at the Pittsburgh reptile show, already chowed down a hopper and docile as can be. I'm not very familiar with color morphs or "phases" with hognoses, I know he's not a morph but seems very light compared to most that I have seen, would there be any special term for him such as "light phase" or just normal?

http://i42.tinypic.com/2eq9hz9.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/ixcm7c.jpg

alessia55
02-12-12, 06:25 PM
Congratulations on your newest pick up. He looks great! Glad he's already eating for you too!

Rogue628
02-12-12, 06:30 PM
Congrats! He's definitely a cutie! I love hoggies and can't wait to get my own but waiting until I move.

nicks75
02-12-12, 06:36 PM
Congratulations on your newest pick up. He looks great! Glad he's already eating for you too!

Congrats! He's definitely a cutie! I love hoggies and can't wait to get my own but waiting until I move.

Thanks, I have kept many species of snakes my fav being carpets, getting a few trophy specimens for breeding once the weather gets warm enough for them to deliver. I can say after only having him for a few hours he is slowly working his way to being my new favorite species. I can certainly see myself getting many more in the future.

nicks75
02-12-12, 07:02 PM
Another pic, he's certainly not camera shy.

http://i43.tinypic.com/sq1q1j.jpg

alessia55
02-12-12, 07:04 PM
He's really cute. It's tempting to keep taking pics, but you should really let him settle in and stop putting the camera in his face the first day he comes home. ;)

nicks75
02-12-12, 07:10 PM
He's really cute. It's tempting to keep taking pics, but you should really let him settle in and stop putting the camera in his face the first day he comes home. ;)

Yeah agreed, I'm letting him settle for a few days after that one.

Jenn_06
02-12-12, 07:15 PM
awwww what a cutie, he is light for being a normal but maybe they get lighter and darker like some other snakes do.

Jay
02-12-12, 07:35 PM
In the future I would hold off on feeding a new a rival right away, just give him about a week to settle in.

buffcoat
02-12-12, 07:59 PM
Congratulations! I went to that show today to specifically buy a hoggie...and they were all gone :(

On a side note I did end up with both a male and a female het albino bull snake. I cant wait to post pics of the lil guy and gal.

Will you be attending the Washington expo? I hope to get a hoggie there!

Congratulations again!

nicks75
02-12-12, 08:11 PM
Congratulations! I went to that show today to specifically buy a hoggie...and they were all gone :(

On a side note I did end up with both a male and a female het albino bull snake. I cant wait to post pics of the lil guy and gal.

Will you be attending the Washington expo? I hope to get a hoggie there!

Congratulations again!

Thanks yeah there were alot of nice looking bullsnakes there, I went there looking for a hognose too and he was the only one I seen, when I seen him someone was looking to trade with the breeder and I was pretty disappointed thinking he would go through with it, luckily the seller turned down the trade and I grabbed him. I'm not sure if I will be going to Washington but I may just to look around. The seller gave me his contact info, I can find out if he is going, from talking to him it sounded like he has more, I'll try and contact him and if so I'll send you a PM.

insignia100
02-12-12, 08:14 PM
I love hognoses. I've got a breeding pair (laid her first clutch in December, but only 1 left... bad timing for various reasons). I'm planning on selling any offspring I get, but will certainly be keeping a few of them for myself. ;)

buffcoat
02-12-12, 08:18 PM
I can find out if he is going, from talking to him it sounded like he has more, I'll try and contact him and if so I'll send you a PM.

That would be totally awesome. I did buy a frilled dragon today for my girlfriend for Valentines day. She was so happy.

jaleely
02-13-12, 12:28 AM
He's very light colored...beautiful! Axanthic probably...or lacking the normal pigments. I always get those terms confused. I have a male that is very brown, and one that is kind of green. I *love* my hoggies!

And, to go against the grain...I *know* I should let them settle in first...but I always seem to take a photo, or if they show interest, feed them. I kind of take the lean on it that it depends on the snake. I've had some that have taken months to settle down and calm down, and others that ate right away and never blinked an eye. You can tell when they're stressed, and if he's not, then there ya go. My one hognose is totally calm all the time and sits in that coiled position just chillin most of the time. Well, until he smells his dinner. Then the hunt is on *lol*

ANYway...beautiful snake!

nicks75
02-13-12, 04:20 PM
He's very light colored...beautiful! Axanthic probably...or lacking the normal pigments. I always get those terms confused. I have a male that is very brown, and one that is kind of green. I *love* my hoggies!

And, to go against the grain...I *know* I should let them settle in first...but I always seem to take a photo, or if they show interest, feed them. I kind of take the lean on it that it depends on the snake. I've had some that have taken months to settle down and calm down, and others that ate right away and never blinked an eye. You can tell when they're stressed, and if he's not, then there ya go. My one hognose is totally calm all the time and sits in that coiled position just chillin most of the time. Well, until he smells his dinner. Then the hunt is on *lol*

ANYway...beautiful snake!

That would be awesome if he were an axanthic but I talked to the breeder. he assured me he wasn't any specific morph or color just a really nice light color. No matter to me, I think he's awesome, I hope I can find a girlfriend for him that looks similar and do some line breeding with him, the breeder told me he is a proven breeder, now I just need to find a sexy lady for him.

jaleely
02-13-12, 05:14 PM
How big is he? Mine are still young. I know the males stay small. I can't wait to get a huge female!!
What breeder did you get him from?
Usually the straight normals are very dark compared.

I talk with one of the owners of extremehogs.com on facebook sometimes. I am waiting to get a female green phase from them.
They've been breeders for ages, and have lots of photos on their site. I still think there's something to the color of that one! Even the eyes are light! Beautiful snake.

jaleely
02-13-12, 05:21 PM
This is my "green" guy

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n640/jaleely/IMG_20111212_210102.jpg

here's my brown boy in a christmas ornament...so not the best color but you can see his eyes are darker, kinda *lol*

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n640/jaleely/IMG_20111223_204435.jpg

them together, then just the big boy eating. Both of these are considered normal coloring, however the little one, to me, is more green. He was sold as normal though, and hey, that's how you get the color phases! I'm just sure if i breed him with a greenish girl they will have good offspring!

Shmoges
02-13-12, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the hog club!! They are cute snakes and like any snake can have varying temperments. Our little male who just finally ate a pink after weeks of forcefeeding!! is a pissy hissy flaring little thing thats all show and no bite. The female is twice his size and placid as can be. even with spot cleaning and tub scrubs and bathing them once in a great while they kinda smell like "farm" maybe that will change since we have switched them to rat pinks instead of hopper mice.

Here is a great pic of a red phase I think its actually amel but people like to say "phase" with hognoses
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Jvs2cOZCSqA/TzAy25FA1NI/AAAAAAAADzg/FgZzUwud-cA/s640/IMG_9476.jpg

I would really like some albino or anery hogs myself. I don't think axthantic exist yet for hogs.

http://www.freewebs.com/glasgowreptile/comming%20soon%20albino%20anery%20and%20snow%20!.j pg

KORBIN5895
02-13-12, 08:37 PM
I love hognoses. I've got a breeding pair (laid her first clutch in December, but only 1 left... bad timing for various reasons). I'm planning on selling any offspring I get, but will certainly be keeping a few of them for myself. ;)

Nice little plug.;)

Shmoges
02-13-12, 08:40 PM
Yeah what happened to your eggs insignia100?

Wolfus_305
02-13-12, 09:08 PM
Awwww I love hoggies!! Maybe one day I'll get one

jaleely
02-13-12, 09:53 PM
I don't know that many other hognose breeders, so sorry I keep referencing extremehogs..but here he shows axanthics

Color Morphs (http://www.extremehogs.com/ColorMorphs.html)

I want that green!

Shmoges...i'm so glad to hear your little brat ate on his own! I think you saw how i got mine to get an appetite...if you saw my hognose bite pic *lol*

Oh and that farm smell...everytime they poop...blah! Mine are now on papertowels and it's def still there!

insignia100
02-13-12, 10:33 PM
Yeah what happened to your eggs insignia100?

I found the last one shriveled up and hard today. Sad, but hopefully next time I will be more prepared and knowledgeable. It's not uncommon for their first clutch to be a bunch of duds, so I can't say I wasn't aware of that possibility.

Skumbo
02-13-12, 10:38 PM
I don't know that many other hognose breeders, so sorry I keep referencing extremehogs..but here he shows axanthics

I want that green!

Shmoges...i'm so glad to hear your little brat ate on his own! I think you saw how i got mine to get an appetite...if you saw my hognose bite pic *lol*

Oh and that farm smell...everytime they poop...blah! Mine are now on papertowels and it's def still there!

I love those green ones! and the ones with the black bellies... I know ill never have the cash for them though. The green they have listed at "150-300" maybe a future consideration!

nicks75
02-14-12, 04:14 PM
How big is he? Mine are still young. I know the males stay small. I can't wait to get a huge female!!
What breeder did you get him from?
Usually the straight normals are very dark compared.

I talk with one of the owners of extremehogs.com on facebook sometimes. I am waiting to get a female green phase from them.
They've been breeders for ages, and have lots of photos on their site. I still think there's something to the color of that one! Even the eyes are light! Beautiful snake.

His name is jim from vipergecko, his website is not up right now, I did talk to him and he has a friend that might have some females to sell, hopefully can get one for mine, my little guy is about 22 inches, and a proven breeder, I hope I can find him a sweetheart, would be really nice to get one and get some action this season.

nicks75
02-14-12, 05:08 PM
Ok so before anyone bites my head off for handling him on his third day home I was checking on him and wanted to give him some fresh water, he was exploring his cage and I held my hand on the floor and he crawled on it with no hesitation, seems to be taking to his new home pretty well. I had him out just long enough to get a new pic in better lighting.

I'm still really confused on exactly what he is as far as his "color phase" or "morph" not being at all knowledgeable with hoggies my assumption is a green phase from the apparent greenish look to him, I called the breeder and he said neither parent had any green or any other color or morph to them, I refuse to believe from every pic I seen of normals that he is a normal but as I said I'm not qualified to say for sure. I can't even find a "green phase" that looks similar to him. I would love to know for sure so I can properly label him for future breeding.

http://i42.tinypic.com/1674cqd.jpg

alessia55
02-14-12, 05:18 PM
Ok so before anyone bites my head off for handling him on his third day home I was checking on him and wanted to give him some fresh water, he was exploring his cage and I held my hand on the floor and he crawled on it with no hesitation, seems to be taking to his new home pretty well. I had him out just long enough to get a new pic in better lighting.

I'm still really confused on exactly what he is as far as his "color phase" or "morph" not being at all knowledgeable with hoggies my assumption is a green phase from the apparent greenish look to him, I called the breeder and he said neither parent had any green or any other color or morph to them, I refuse to believe from every pic I seen of normals that he is a normal but as I said I'm not qualified to say for sure. I can't even find a "green phase" that looks similar to him. I would love to know for sure so I can properly label him for future breeding.

I think that if both the parents are normals and not het for anything, then you have a normal.

Hillsberry
02-14-12, 05:20 PM
Such beautiful hognoses! I love the red phase. Their almost like an orangey color. BEAUTIFUL!!! :)

nicks75
02-14-12, 05:32 PM
I think that if both the parents are normals and not het for anything, then you have a normal.

Most likely your right, it's hard to go against what the breeder said.

nicks75
02-14-12, 05:34 PM
Such beautiful hognoses! I love the red phase. Their almost like an orangey color. BEAUTIFUL!!! :)

Those are some of the prettiest snakes of any species, definitely will be getting one of those in the future.

jaleely
02-14-12, 09:27 PM
In your first photos he seems very beige, but this last one he does look green! In my opinion all the morphs and phases etc are all relative, at first. There are not many proven "green" hognoses, so it's possible his offspring could have a green color to them. No clue if it's a recessive or dominant gene.
STill, a great looking snake!

Shmoges
02-14-12, 09:43 PM

Looks like anery to me just like the red phase are amel.

Shmoges
02-14-12, 09:46 PM
I found the last one shriveled up and hard today. Sad, but hopefully next time I will be more prepared and knowledgeable. It's not uncommon for their first clutch to be a bunch of duds, so I can't say I wasn't aware of that possibility.

Did you have the eggs in a moist hide or in a container with vermiculite?

Shmoges
02-14-12, 09:52 PM

My god that thing is GREEN!!!!

nicks75
02-14-12, 10:20 PM
In your first photos he seems very beige, but this last one he does look green! In my opinion all the morphs and phases etc are all relative, at first. There are not many proven "green" hognoses, so it's possible his offspring could have a green color to them. No clue if it's a recessive or dominant gene.
STill, a great looking snake!

Yeah having him under an incandescent really drowned out his true look but I didn't want to disturb him too much the first day pulling him out and getting him under the compact florescent I use, the flash on my camera is broke too which wasn't helping. I did email Brent Bumgardner from superconda.com and asked his opinion and he was kind enough to respond saying "That looks like a normal green,and a real nice one at that" which was my assumption. Weird the breeder I got him from said there was no green in the parents though.

My god that thing is GREEN!!!!

Thanks, he does look really exceptional, I feel lucky I got him, hoggies are almost making me regret I invested a good chunk of change into buying some beautiful carpets for a breeding project, no doubt I'll be picking up more in the near future when the funds get back up.