PDA

View Full Version : The King Cobra

Kayla90
07-21-11, 12:56 AM
The King Cobra is one of my favourite snakes in the world, and so I decided that I wanted to read up more about them, well that and cause I was a little bored.. Anyways, I just wanted to write some facts out about them that I learned, and hope someone who happens by, bored or otherwise, enjoys this.

Did you know:

The king cobra is one of the worlds longest venomous snakes? Having a recorded length of 18.5 ft long :D

[LIST]
It is one of the most feared and dangerous snakes in all of Asia.
The average cobra ranges between 12-13 ft long, and can weigh up to 13lbs. (Is it just me, or does that not seem to be all that much??) Despite being so big, they are an extremely fast and agile snake.
The average lifespan of a king cobra is 20 years.
Their latin or genus name is Ophiophagus hannah. Ophiophagus meaning "snake-eater." That's right, this baby likes to eat all your pretty little other snakes, from ratsnakes to smaller pythons.. And that's just for breakfast. For lunch, they like to enjoy a variety of other venomous snakes, including kraits, cobra's and the smaller members of it's own species. (I guess that makes this beautiful snake a cannibal, uh ohhh.. can you say taboo?? lmao)
Obviously, as I am writing this in the "Venomous Forums", and even if I wasn't I would sure as hell hope you know that King Cobra's can KILL you with a bite.
With fangs half an inch long, they will force venom into a wound attacking the central nervous system causing severe pain, blurred vision, vertigo (a feeling of motion while stationary), drowsiness and eventually paralysis. As the cardiovascular system starts to fail, the victim will fall into a coma, and eventually die from respiratory failure (XD Scary... but I could thing of at least a 1000 worst ways to die.)

Now my absolute favourite fact about the king cobra that you probably never would have guessed.

Did you know that the King Cobra is actually a very maternal snake?
She'll make a nest by gathering leaves and other debris, forming a mound which will act as the incubator, before she lays her eggs. She will lay somewhere between 20-40 eggs, and will stay with them until they hatch, protecting them by rearing up when there are predators close by.
When her eggs start to hatch, her instincts tell her to leave the nest in order to find prey to eat, which will keep her from eating her babies.

Love, an emotion of strong affection and personal attachment.

If that isn't love I don't know what is. I don't care if you label it instinct or not, the fact that they even have the instinct to search for prey JUST so they won't eat their babies has to tell you something. If some inner part of her didn't have affection for her babies, her instincts would never tell her to leave in search of food, when she could easily eat her children.

Lankyrob
07-21-11, 02:54 AM
Another fact i like is that no matter how big they are they can rear up two thirds of their length!

SnakeyJay
07-21-11, 03:21 AM
The instinct to leave the nest once hatched is there so the species wouldnt kill itself off.. Fascinating creatures.

stephanbakir
07-21-11, 04:57 AM
They are great, but
"Now I know some people are probably thinking, "please, a reticulated python is longer, and so is the anaconda." But those two snakes scare some people shitless already, could you imagine how ridiculously horrifying the would be if they had all that mighty power as well as VENOM??? " is coming from the wrong direction, we need to educate people not not be afraid of animals, and respect them.

infernalis
07-21-11, 06:12 AM
They are great, but
"Now I know some people are probably thinking, "please, a reticulated python is longer, and so is the anaconda." But those two snakes scare some people shitless already, could you imagine how ridiculously horrifying the would be if they had all that mighty power as well as VENOM??? " is coming from the wrong direction, we need to educate people not not be afraid of animals, and respect them.

Very well said..

Kayla90
07-21-11, 06:19 AM
They are great, but

Lmao I didn't mean to make people scared XD
Snakes are just like any other animal. They do what they know. Beside even with venom I would still love to have one of these gorgeous animals, I don't understand how anyone could be afraid of them.. More people die from killing themselves with smoking everyday, while there are few cases where humans have been killed.. shouldn't you be more afraid of yourself in that case?

stephanbakir
07-21-11, 06:23 AM
I've worked with cobras, and while I consider myself talented with a hook, they still scare the crap out of my at times. Mark had his king get in between viv stacks a week ago and it took us almost an hour to get it out. If it had been any other snake it would have taken minutes.
They are quick, and slick lil bastards at times :P Still gota admit that I love em.

Kayla90
07-21-11, 06:38 AM
I mean come on, look at the last picture.. If you don't find that baby cobra absolutely adorable you MUST be blind.. It's as simple as that.
Look at that face, how could you be afraid of something that looks sooooooo freaking CUTE ??

stephanbakir
07-21-11, 06:40 AM
Sadly its not as simple as that, they CAN kill you.

Kayla90
07-21-11, 06:50 AM
Sadly its not as simple as that, they CAN kill you.

Yes but so can everything else on this planet... -.-
I'd be more afraid of humans then snakes.. I mean at least a snake will only kill you cause it feels it's life is in danger... There are some pretty sick humans out there that come up with or weird horrifying ****. I mean just look at SAW... just the fact that one person was able to come up with the idea of that movie should tell you have twisted humans really are. LMAO
You can stumble and fall on a pencil and die, or go to cross a totally clear road and still get hit by a bus..
To fear death, is to limit life. I'm not just going to sit at home locked away afraid to die. Everything could kill me, I'm going to die when I die whether I'm ready or not...
I'm not going to let the fear of death keep me from moving, so why should I be afraid of a cobra? If you learn the proper knowledge and are extremely careful you have nothing to worry about.. And even if you still get bitten, well maybe it was just your time.

stephanbakir
07-21-11, 07:04 AM
"The collector" was 100X more twisted then "SAW"
But yeh, people can be... quirky.

Kayla90
07-21-11, 07:11 AM
"The collector" was 100X more twisted then "SAW"
But yeh, people can be... quirky.

I never watched the collector XD I have an extremely over active imagination and can't sleep at night if I watch horror movies.. Though I do love them a lot.. I'm still a big chicken when it comes to turning off the light when it comes to bed time.. lmao

Will0W783
07-21-11, 07:38 AM
Look at that face, how could you be afraid of something that looks sooooooo freaking CUTE ??

Lol, I take it you've never been around an eyelash viper? They are absolutely some of the tiniest, most adorable baby snakes, but get a look of the fangs on them and you instantly respect them.

ilovemypets1988
07-21-11, 07:56 AM
kayla, did u also know that the most maternal snake of all is the indian python, which will give birth to live young and will rear her young for upto 3 mnths afterwards.

but yh the k.cobra is awesome

Rog
07-21-11, 08:47 AM
I mean come on, look at the last picture.. If you don't find that baby cobra absolutely adorable you MUST be blind.. It's as simple as that.

My six year old daughter is also in love with king cobras. She thinks they are awesome. And has asked for one on more than one occasion. Lol

SkYyaMe1623
07-21-11, 09:55 AM
Yes but so can everything else on this planet... -.-
I'd be more afraid of humans then snakes.. I mean at least a snake will only kill you cause it feels it's life is in danger... There are some pretty sick humans out there that come up with or weird horrifying ****. I mean just look at SAW... just the fact that one person was able to come up with the idea of that movie should tell you have twisted humans really are. LMAO
You can stumble and fall on a pencil and die, or go to cross a totally clear road and still get hit by a bus..
To fear death, is to limit life. I'm not just going to sit at home locked away afraid to die. Everything could kill me, I'm going to die when I die whether I'm ready or not...
I'm not going to let the fear of death keep me from moving, so why should I be afraid of a cobra? If you learn the proper knowledge and are extremely careful you have nothing to worry about.. And even if you still get bitten, well maybe it was just your time.

You're making quite the stretch. Most widely kept snakes cannot kill you if a simple mistake is made. If you own a cobra for whatever reason, and a mistake of yours cuts 50 years off your life, are you sure the decision to buy the snake in the first place was not "limiting life"?

EDIT: And by the way talk is just talk. Why don't you get one, put up some pics, and then you can start preaching about how your bravery prevents you from "limiting life". Keep in mind even the most renound experts get bit, including viperkeeper and david weathers. (both own king cobras). I know you're a super expert, and you would never ever get bit, but I'd keep antivenom on hand ;)

Kayla90
07-21-11, 12:23 PM
kayla, did u also know that the most maternal snake of all is the indian python, which will give birth to live young and will rear her young for upto 3 mnths afterwards.

The Indian Python eh?? I've never heard of it XD I will have to read up on it now... Maybe if I can't sleep tonight I'll do another post like this but on it instead :D

My six year old daughter is also in love with king cobras. She thinks they are awesome. And has asked for one on more than one occasion. Lol

Wahaha They were one of the first snakes I fell in love with as well. I was so in awe of them when I first discovered them.. Even lacking bright colours they still seems so brilliant to me :D

Lol, I take it you've never been around an eyelash viper? They are absolutely some of the tiniest, most adorable baby snakes, but get a look of the fangs on them and you instantly respect them.

Nooo I've never heard of them... Now I muust look up some babies.. and I respect all snakes, because I know that if they REALLLY wanted to they could hurt me severely and even kill me. And I just loove snakes so much hehehe I don't understand how so many people could hate/fear them.. :(

You're making quite the stretch. Most widely kept snakes cannot kill you if a simple mistake is made. If you own a cobra for whatever reason, and a mistake of yours cuts 50 years off your life, are you sure the decision to buy the snake in the first place was not "limiting life"?

EDIT: And by the way talk is just talk. Why don't you get one, put up some pics, and then you can start preaching about how your bravery prevents you from "limiting life". Keep in mind even the most renound experts get bit, including viperkeeper and david weathers. (both own king cobras). I know you're a super expert, and you would never ever get bit, but I'd keep antivenom on hand ;)

Wow that was a bit harsh.. No where in anything I wrote did I say I was an expert.. I was responding to Stephan who pointed out that something I wrote might cause more fear towards bigger snakes such as the retic and anaconda which I wrote about. I hadn't intended for it to come off as making them scary but to make snakes in general less scary, at least that's what I was trying for. I understand that I may not always use the best choice of words, or my sentences may not come out sounding how I mean them, I deal with people misunderstanding me on a daily basis..
I, in no way, plan to get a venomous snake until I've had plenty of experience dealing with other snakes, as well as learning everything about the snake.
If you look back to what I wrote you will see: If you learn the proper knowledge and are extremely careful you have nothing to worry about.
I didn't not mean that you should just RUSH into buying a venomous snake.. Obviously that would be stupid. I don't have a death wish, thanks..

Kayla90
07-21-11, 12:34 PM

:O So I found this under Indian Cobra looking of google...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_t20nYP_aeuE/TALJ6i4VaPI/AAAAAAAABp0/HXjYbWf2QGY/s1600/indian+python+-+jardin+des+plantes.jpg

I want it.. It's soo pretty.

:O And this one: http://www.mh-31.com/nagpur/images/stories/mh/misc/snakes/indian-rock-python-nagpur.jpg

ilovemypets1988
07-21-11, 12:51 PM
yh there stunning, here is some info on the indian python that i thought you may like to read:

Indian Python an Endangered Species at Bagheera (http://www.bagheera.com/inthewild/van_anim_python.htm)

SkYyaMe1623
07-21-11, 01:27 PM
I, in no way, plan to get a venomous snake until I've had plenty of experience dealing with other snakes, as well as learning everything about the snake.
If you look back to what I wrote you will see: If you learn the proper knowledge and are extremely careful you have nothing to worry about.
I didn't not mean that you should just RUSH into buying a venomous snake.. Obviously that would be stupid. I don't have a death wish, thanks..
Reading a few books on cobras and owning some constrictors in no way prepares you to own a king cobra, congrats you have already thrown "careful" out the window. Also, how "careful" can you even get when you need to remove a 10+ foot cobra out of an enclosure?

To ever own a venomous you should be personally trained on how to hook handle venomous snakes, they are faster, more jerky, and just unlike most constrictors. My 2 cents to you is not to make assumptions to weather or not snakes which you have never personally worked with are "safe if you're very very careful" lol

marionsclan
07-21-11, 04:36 PM

If death is the end result then you're lucky. I'm not afraid of death either, it would just p*ss me off cuz I'm missing out on life. However, the result of a venomous bite can cause physical and/or mental disability and that is what can limit your mobility. You may have to give up the things you love in order to pay the medical bills and medication for you. So don't look at a bite as the end, look at it as a new, not necessarily a preferable, beginning.

And yes, even with knowledge and training you have everything to worry about. You are dealing with a live thinking animal that can plan its attack. Just look at the Viperkeeper vids and see how accurate some of those launches are. Also, he hardly is alone when he has to handle them yet he still gets bitten.

Nothing wrong with taking chances, but I prefer to never bet more than I can afford to loose. :)

stephanbakir
07-21-11, 05:08 PM
"To fear death, is to limit life." rephrased "To be stupid with life is to limit life."

marionsclan
07-21-11, 06:18 PM
"To fear death, is to limit life." rephrased "To be stupid with life is to limit life."

Exactly, and the moment you let your guard down it'll bite you in the ________ (just fill in the blank, folks). ;)

Kayla90
07-21-11, 09:16 PM

Stephan the fact that you don't see how much this quote applies to you, just tells me people are completely misunderstanding the interpretation..
It doesn't mean just throw your life away with no precaution just to live life.. It basically means, don't be afraid to jump out of a plane just because you could crash into the ground an die, just make sure you have a parachute on and learn how to do it.
Or don't jump off of a building your afraid to die, just make sure you have something to catch you at the bottom..
It in NO way means throw your life away stupidly..
Now I'm tired of trying to make everyone freaking get this... so if you STILL don't get it whatever.. I'm freaking tired of trying to explain myself to people who clearly keep misunderstanding and stubbornly refuse to see that what you are assuming I'm saying is indeed NOT what I'm saying AT ALL...
Sigh.

Kayla90
07-21-11, 09:18 PM
I just felt like writing an article on King Cobra's. It was 3am in the morning and I couldn't sleep!

NO ONE asked you to read it.. I just wanted to share some of the things I had read about them.. Seriously people, you have to stop taking things waaaaay too freaking seriously!!!!! And ruining things for everyone else.

stephanbakir
07-21-11, 09:37 PM
I totally agree, hell I'm going skydiving this summer... That being said I'm probably going to crap myself on the way down. Fear is totally natural, how you let it effect you is the key element.