PDA

View Full Version : I got a new snake today

KD35WIN.AS.ONE
05-08-11, 10:17 PM
I got a new snake today! (not really because of Sick lol)

This is the new baby, a Northern Copperhead
http://i54.tinypic.com/21940lw.jpg

This is my Southern Copperhead; the one SickVenom said i should diss-own.
http://i55.tinypic.com/289bptw.jpg

Here they are together (the smaller one is the NC)
http://i51.tinypic.com/1038ig1.jpg

Again if you dont agree with them, keep the comments to yourselves. Although i doubt its an issue anymore. I will take some more pictures so you can see there little Sulfur yellow tails. They are awesome snakes, there face's are unlike anything ive ever seen.

NennaMeerkat
05-08-11, 10:19 PM
OMG Cute little buggers...probably ready to take someone down too LOL

KD35WIN.AS.ONE
05-08-11, 10:33 PM
OMG Cute little buggers...probably ready to take someone down too LOL

The Northern yea hes a mess, he thinks hes a rattlesnake if you get near his enclosure sometimes he will have at it shaking his little tail lol. But my Southern like i said before shows absolutely no aggression, i think he just knows hes the man and nobody is going to bother him. lol

stephanbakir
05-08-11, 10:36 PM
Great lookin snakes
Although i don't advise live feeding, its great to watch the babies catch their prey in the wild, they wiggle their tail and the food comes right to them.
Quick question, are they being kept together?

infernalis
05-08-11, 10:43 PM
I have no problem with Hots as captive specimens.. Just stay safe.

KD35WIN.AS.ONE
05-08-11, 10:51 PM
Great lookin snakes
Although i don't advise live feeding, its great to watch the babies catch their prey in the wild, they wiggle their tail and the food comes right to them.
Quick question, are they being kept together?

Yea i dont live feed either, and currently they are being kept together. Copperheads do really well in multiple snake enclosures, but if left unfed for to long they can resort to cannibalism. Not an issue on my end though, for there extremely well fed. Its not a permanent housing though.

Max713
05-08-11, 11:04 PM
Gorgeous little snakes!
My understanding is the copperhead bite is the least deadly of all american hots?

NennaMeerkat
05-08-11, 11:06 PM
My hoggie wiggles her tail when she gets all hissy and has a fit. Its funny to see. I can just imagine these little hots doing the same. Difference is I would take them much more seriously LOL

KD35WIN.AS.ONE
05-08-11, 11:19 PM
Gorgeous little snakes!
My understanding is the copperhead bite is the least deadly of all american hots?

Thanks!

Actually on the LD50 scale measured subcutaneous, the Southern Copperheads venom is actually more potent then the Cottonmouth/Water Moccasin. (just barely)

It reads like this:

Species | LD-50 (mg/kg)
West. Diamondback Rattlesnake| 18.5
Southern Copperhead | 25.6
Cotton Mouth/ Water Moccasin | 25.8

Copperheads cant at one time store enough venom to be lethal to a healthy adult. Anaphalectic shock due to severe allergic reaction to the venom is what can result in death if you dont seek medical attention immediately after a bite. Hope all this info was something you cared to read lol.

stephanbakir
05-08-11, 11:25 PM
Its not always fighting for food and cannibalism that will cause snakes to fight.

A few years ago I had a friend who had 2 ball pythons in the same enclosure, and they would ALWAYS fight for the best hotspot in the terrarium. I'm not sure if they are immune to their own venom, but im pretty sure that fangs leave scars of some kind and with snakes that look like gems I'd prefer keeping them shiny and scar free.

infernalis
05-08-11, 11:25 PM
Hope all this info was something you cared to read lol.

It's necessary info, one MUST read. ;)

Ch^4
05-08-11, 11:33 PM
Congrats, what a great looking snake! I wish I had the "kahoonas" to own a hot...pictures will suffice :)

KD35WIN.AS.ONE
05-08-11, 11:47 PM
@ Stephanbakir I never really thought of that, it makes sense though. Also they are immune to there own venom.

And thanks everyone for the complements on them.

Max713
05-08-11, 11:47 PM
Thanks!

Actually on the LD50 scale measured subcutaneous, the Southern Copperheads venom is actually more potent then the Cottonmouth/Water Moccasin. (just barely)

It reads like this:

Species | LD-50 (mg/kg)
West. Diamondback Rattlesnake| 18.5
Southern Copperhead | 25.6
Cotton Mouth/ Water Moccasin | 25.8

Copperheads cant at one time store enough venom to be lethal to a healthy adult. Anaphalectic shock due to severe allergic reaction to the venom is what can result in death if you dont seek medical attention immediately after a bite. Hope all this info was something you cared to read lol.

Of course! The more info the better! I mean common, you are on a snake forum... ;)
Interesting, I was at least close! I'd also heard that a Copperhead bite alone can't kill you without some sort of allergic reaction, but I wasn't sure and was hoping you would tell me. Where does the Mojave fit into that scale? I know its the deadliest of all rattlers.
I plan on owning a nice big NW Rattler eventually, I catch anywhere from 10 to 30 every spring at my favorite den. One of these years I'll keep one, still trying to get info about how a wild caught rattler will do in captivity though... Can you recommend a good hot forum? For some reason Venomland keeps rejecting my registration...

stephanbakir
05-08-11, 11:52 PM
Quick question regarding diamondback venom, when i was about 15 i got bitten on the shoulder (i was digging around chasing lizards) and it took me about 45 minutes to get to the hospital and get anti-venom all i got from the bite in 45 minutes was swelling and it went down within 2 hours of the bite. Was this a normal reaction or was there defective venom or low dose of venom?

Max713
05-09-11, 12:01 AM
That was definitely either a dry bite, or a very low dose. Diamondback venom is pretty potent (Gotta know what your getting into)
Check out this link:
Justin's Rattlesnake Bite (http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/)

KD35WIN.AS.ONE
05-09-11, 12:06 AM
Of course! The more info the better! I mean common, you are on a snake forum... ;)
Interesting, I was at least close! I'd also heard that a Copperhead bite alone can't kill you without some sort of allergic reaction, but I wasn't sure and was hoping you would tell me. Where does the Mojave fit into that scale? I know its the deadliest of all rattlers.
I plan on owning a nice big NW Rattler eventually, I catch anywhere from 10 to 30 every spring at my favorite den. One of these years I'll keep one, still trying to get info about how a wild caught rattler will do in captivity though... Can you recommend a good hot forum? For some reason Venomland keeps rejecting my registration...

Awesome im glad i was of some use hahah, Id say i know more about venomous then non venomous even though i own more non venomous.

On the LD50 Scale of Subcutaneous:

The Mojave Rattlesnake is listed at 0.34, The Black Mamba is featured only 2 spots ahead listed at 0.32, but the Tiger Rattlesnake is listed above both at 0.21; and the Subcutaneous is the accurate when measuring actual strength of venom in bites.

WC venomous snakes do much better in captivity then WC non-venomous, in my opinion; that is not a fact and is arguable. So a young WC Mojave would adapt to captivity under the right conditions quite well. (again my opinion)

To be honest this is the first forum ive ever joined, and the only one im a member of. So i cant really help you there.

Max713
05-09-11, 12:11 AM
Wow! I knew they were potent, but not that potent! I would never own a Mojave, too deadly, small, and fast. I believe they have the fastest strike of all rattlers as well?

Good to know WC hots do well captive though, hoping I'll have one, one of these days. If I did, I'd have it in a big display case style, stained, professional style piece of furniture in my living room. Pad locked shut of course... what a conversation piece!

KD35WIN.AS.ONE
05-09-11, 12:24 AM
Wow! I knew they were potent, but not that potent! I would never own a Mojave, too deadly, small, and fast. I believe they have the fastest strike of all rattlers as well?

Good to know WC hots do well captive though, hoping I'll have one, one of these days. If I did, I'd have it in a big display case style, stained, professional style piece of furniture in my living room. Pad locked shut of course... what a conversation piece!

Yea anything that reads 0.__ is extremely dangerous and in most cases cause some kind of permanent damage. I wouldnt doubt they have one of the fastest strikes, but im not sure.

That would be awesome! The few friends that actually know i keep these animals always ask "why do you have something you cant hold or touch". I always explain "there like fish but 100x more interesting" But a rattlesnake or a Cobra thats something i could watch all day lol. I wish i could see wild rattlesnakes in my area the only native ones to upstate SC are the Timber and Pygmy but ive never seen one in the 10 years ive lived here.

Jay
05-09-11, 12:30 AM
This Mojave seemed tame enough, too bad they were not all like this !!
0Qnrk7QRs4U

Max713
05-09-11, 01:01 AM
Yea anything that reads 0.__ is extremely dangerous and in most cases cause some kind of permanent damage. I wouldnt doubt they have one of the fastest strikes, but im not sure.

That would be awesome! The few friends that actually know i keep these animals always ask "why do you have something you cant hold or touch". I always explain "there like fish but 100x more interesting" But a rattlesnake or a Cobra thats something i could watch all day lol. I wish i could see wild rattlesnakes in my area the only native ones to upstate SC are the Timber and Pygmy but ive never seen one in the 10 years ive lived here.
Yet another thing I've learned in this thread, I've always thought the Mojave was the deadliest of rattles, but then again I've never even heard of a Tiger.

Exactly! I don't see how having a rattlesnake you can't touch is any different than having fish you can't touch? Other than the fact that the rattler is dangerous of course... But so much more interesting! I think it would also give people that come through the room a chance to actually apply some of their curiosity about them, after they are assured there's no way the snake can get out ;)

This Mojave seemed tame enough, too bad they were not all like this !!
0Qnrk7QRs4U

One in a million right there, then again, Steve always had a pretty incredible way with reptiles, of all species.
I still can't believe it was a dam sting ray that took him down... He was my childhood hero.

KD35WIN.AS.ONE
05-09-11, 09:23 AM
@ Jay ha i haven't seen that clip in so long! thanks for that.

@ Max Im sure alot of people haven't, there only native to extremely small patches of land in South-West Arizona, then into southern Mexico. Its an endangered species, only reaching around 33"-36" and is in fact the most deadliest of rattlesnakes. One escaped from the Atlanta Zoo awhile back lol.
Here's a picture of one.
http://i55.tinypic.com/11lmz37.jpg

Coffee Black
05-09-11, 07:48 PM
I've seen a few timbers in a mountainous area I promised I wouldn't share the location of :D We bring thick boots and paint roller extension poles for pushing aside logs and such. Haven't seen any in the last two years though :/

Coffee Black
05-09-11, 07:49 PM
Seen a bunch of hots at PA reptile shows too, where everything is legal. Its strange, actually. I never bring money to those shows.

KD35WIN.AS.ONE
05-09-11, 11:14 PM
@ Coffee black

In mountainous area's in your area? Cause if its in mine you have to tell me. LOL

Im going to one in Columbia, SC on the 18th of June, i plan to take a step up and buy the Carolina Pygmy Rattlesnake, they are awesome snakes. Some are smaller than quarters lol.

infernalis
05-09-11, 11:18 PM
Some are smaller than quarters lol.

http://www.thamfriends.com/MPFG/images/1apenny.jpg

KD35WIN.AS.ONE
05-09-11, 11:24 PM
What???? Ive caught a snake that looks like that before but the two lines going down its back with the black dots on either side were much more defined, but wow it was alot bigger than that. I didn't even know there was a snake that small! (besides those ones that look like worms) What kind is it?

Ha not quite as small but its an adult Pygmy Rattlesnakes (not the Carolina one im referring to there a very defined red color)
http://i56.tinypic.com/n1f4hg.jpg

Max713
05-09-11, 11:33 PM
Wayne! That guy is DINKY! No idea garters could be that small...

infernalis
05-09-11, 11:36 PM
Wayne! That guy is DINKY! No idea garters could be that small...

Not a garter. Newborn Storeria Dekayi. they only get 10-12 inches full grown.

Here is a baby garter swimming in a bottle cap.

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/PG1/images/cap1.jpg

Max713
05-09-11, 11:39 PM
Not a garter. Newborn Storeria Dekayi. they only get 10-12 inches full grown.

My mistake, still amazingly small!

KD35WIN.AS.ONE
05-10-11, 12:02 AM
Yea thats the kind i found in my yard didnt know they started out that small. And im going to edit my last post cause i put adult instead of juvenile lol adults get up to a foot long.