View Single Post
Old 01-23-21, 10:54 AM   #8
arnoldosu1

Re: Heat source for crested gecko?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman View Post
A night drop into the mid 60s will be fine. The geckos do better with cold temperatures than warm ones.
Outside Trico’s vivarium is usually low to mid 60s this time of year for winter. So if it drops to 62-64 at night, are you saying that would be better for him than a basking spot of mid 70s and prob a bit of temp variance throughout the enclosure?

Let me explain why I have been trying to adjust his environment. He has been living for 7 years with occasional shed issues. I havent used a heat source, because I had been under the impression that they were stressful and dangerous. So it has been like you said in the low to mid 60s at night and high 60s during the day, with a bit of basking under the grow bulb.

If I increase the humidity (to help with shed issues) by spraying more, trico would sneeze. I assume because the increased humidity drops the feels like temp too low for him. So now I start reading into what temps they should be kept at and apparently lots of people now keep them at higher temps even into low 80s. I am worried to get that high as like you said anything too warm and he could have neurological issues and die.

I felt in order to increase the humidity I had to bring the temps up slightly and the lowest wattage non disruptive 24hr heat bulb I could find was this moonlight bulb. It has increased the temps around the hottest area 74(night) -76(day). He seems to like the moonlight bulb as last night I woke in the middle of the night to find him underneath it and now he has started sleeping during the day closer to it.

Am I completely wrong in my new approach? Should I revert back to what I was doing before and hope he doesn’t have breathing issues going forward with the increased humidity? I should mention that in order to increase humidity I have added the glass insert for the rear section of the ex terra screen top. I have switched to a slightly bigger water bowl. I have increased watering and misting amounts.

Last edited by arnoldosu1; 01-23-21 at 11:00 AM..