border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-13, 10:05 AM   #31
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

Re: How do you thaw your prey items?

I just leave them on tissue ontop of the warm vivs... They thaw nicely and the smell gets the snakes ready for feeding
Old 01-10-13, 10:59 AM   #32
jausi

I put mine in a cup on top of the cabinet in the kitchen, wait for at least 3 hours and the boild water in the microwave for 1 minute, put the pray on a plastic cup inside of the a coffe mug with the hot water, cover it a left it for another 2 min, then feed them warm and dry.
Old 01-10-13, 12:40 PM   #33
Philmul

I fill the bucket with hot tap water and put rats in a sealed bag and leave them for an hr then ready to feed
Old 01-10-13, 12:46 PM   #34
Philmul

Hey Jendee my wife would have a fit if I filled her bath with dead rodents
Old 01-10-13, 01:41 PM   #35
Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I use a rubbermaid and with the hottest water my tap will give me I fill it and place all the rodents into it. I re-do it roughly 30 - 60 minutes later and then just again before feeding so they are nice and hot. I pat dry a bit so not to be dripping and serve!
Same as this
Old 01-10-13, 01:59 PM   #36
Jendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmul View Post
Hey Jendee my wife would have a fit if I filled her bath with dead rodents
Oh donnie does too he hates snakes and everything that comes with it.,.I used to thaw them in the sink the bathtub was our compromise lol plus my collection grew along with rat needs
Old 01-10-13, 02:28 PM   #37
Philmul

Well I think that your fella needs a medal if he doesn't like snakes yet he lets you have 40 in the house. Lol
Old 01-10-13, 03:07 PM   #38
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

I use the hottest water my tap will give me, and add about 3 parts hot tap water to 1 part water heating up to just below boiling on the stove. I've found that this method keeps the rats from getting too gooey or "cooked", but thaws them out rapidly. Usually 10 minutes is enough to start feeding the smaller items, and then by the time I've fed all the small stuff off the bigger items are thawed and ready to go. Certain of my snakes are particular about food temperature, especially the pit vipers, so before I feed them, I dump out all the water and refill with hot tap water to make sure all the food is toasty warm. I feed the items wet, as this helps give the snakes a good dose of hydration as well as the nutrients from eating.
Old 01-10-13, 04:34 PM   #39
Sorraia

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
I usually just set the plate in my reptile room for a few hours and feed when I get around to it.
I do this too.
Old 01-10-13, 05:03 PM   #40
OSMDEATHOWNER

Let thaw in fridge, warm with warm water, hair dryer when time to feed
Login to remove ads
Old 01-10-13, 05:14 PM   #41
Zoo Nanny

After reading through this thread I see that very few people after thawing rodents do not warm in hot water. I was under the impression that during the freezing process rodents dehydrate and should be rehydrated in water. I've always rehydrated for both reptiles and raptors.
Old 01-10-13, 05:34 PM   #42
Tracy33

Well i just take mine out the freezer in the morning when i get up , they take the day to thaw , then pop on the storage heater at 8 pm, and feed at 9 pm. Tracy.
Old 01-10-13, 05:57 PM   #43
marvelfreak
Captain America

I use a 3 gallon bucket fill it with the hottest water i can get from the tap. After two hours i dump and refill it again half way with hot tap and one pot of boiling water. Unlike all you lucky people i have three snakes that won't eat if the rats not super hot. Just never use boiling water with anything smaller than a large or they swell up and the gut burst open. Very, very messy.

I use to pop a couple thaw rats in the microwave for like 15 second to get them super hot. Then Tami caught me and said if i ever did it again i have to get rid of my snakes. So now i just use some boiling water.
Old 01-11-13, 12:59 AM   #44
Joeyyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfreak View Post
I use to pop a couple thaw rats in the microwave for like 15 second to get them super hot. Then Tami caught me and said if i ever did it again i have to get rid of my snakes. So now i just use some boiling water.
This made me laugh out loud. I usually take the rats from the freezer and let them sit in room temp water for an hour and then use hot water from the sink for 30min to an hour depending on the size of the rat.
1.0 Crested Gecko
Old 01-11-13, 02:04 AM   #45
h3h

I do the same as the majority of the responses here. I put them in a glass bowl designated specially for the mice with tap water as hot as it will go. 45 minutes later I drain the water, and replace it with hot water again, then fifteen minutes later I serve them dripping wet.

- h3
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread