View Single Post
Old 12-04-11, 08:52 AM   #10
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Re: Live feeding for entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Hammer View Post
First off let me get one thing straight, this isnt about live feeding it is about the publishing / broadcasting of live feeding via video websites.

We have in the UK some grey areas when it comes to live feeding our reps mice rats etc infact some people get more worked up about that than murder.

We have also had recently a video where an unsuitable prey item was fed to a burmese python.

People feed their animals live food, it is part and parcel for reptile keeping, but when its published / broadcast it just gives more people the ammunition to have a pop at the reptile community in general, we all get tarred with the same brush.

Personally i would like to see all live feeding videos stopped purely to save face of the larger majority of responsible reptile keepers. Its not liable to ever happen but folks need to see that we are not all evil Hannibal Lecter types.

Shall finish by saying I am not against live feeding, it is something I have done for the snakes benefit. I just wouldnt broadcast it.
I couldn't have said this better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Blood View Post
Life prey can be a necessary evil under certain circumstances, but if someone considers it 'entertaining' or 'natural', they quite likely have snakes for all the wrong reasons.

There is nothing 'natural' about putting a live animal in an enclosed space with a carnivorous predator where the prey no chance of escape.
I only feed live but not for the above stated reasons. We raise the rats and mice ourselves and we found it easier and more convenient to feed them live, especially since thats what they're used to eating and its NEVER unsupervised. We have never had an incident and we have hooks to prevent one should we see it starting.
I respect other people's opinions on this but this is what has worked for us.
Login to remove ads