border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-15, 01:46 AM   #1
sophiedufort

Snakes ARE affectionate

I've been reading a lot of divided opinions about this topic. A lot of people tend to believe that snakes are not affectionate. I opened this thread because I think that such statement is unfair and unfounded.
I am the proud parent of six snakes. I had four more, that passed away. My husband had snakes since he was a kid. He is now 46 years old. His friends used to call him 'the snake whisperer'.
A cold-blooded creature is not necessarily cold-hearted too. In fact, every creature is capable of loving, although the ability to display it may vary considerably from a species to another. The more you handle a pet, the more you get back in return.
Snakes are not display pets. If someone bought them for that purpose, then the poor snakes have fallen in the wrong hands.
Some snakes can be very docile, and often people say that their apparently 'loving' behavior is nothing more than that: being docile. I beg to differ. A docile snake lets his owner pet him, and can take a lot of petting without trying to squirm away. A loving snake, when petted, wraps around his owner, squeezes and massages gently, pokes his tongue out constantly, 'tasting' the owner, rests his head on the owner's head and face, cuddles next to the owner or on their lap, and quite often displays separation anxiety when put back in the enclosure.
Most of my snakes actively display their affection. They crawl on my husband and I, prefer our company, and even show jealousy when we handle another snake. They come to nose us, begging to be petted, and adopt a dominant posture trying to intimidate the other snake.
Many people will argue that it is just a display of their sense of security, the security we have created for them. Name it any way you want, it is still affection. If a creature does not feel love for another, they will not seek their company, and will not bother showing the need to be in another's presence.
We, people, display our love in very complex ways, and that's why more often than not are unable to recognize affection that is different than that between humans. Every pet is different, and will show their love in ways that sometimes we are unable to acknowledge and understand.
As for me, I learned to recognize my snake's display of love. It is apparent in their entire behavior during their interaction with me. Some are clingy, attention seekers, some are more independent and prefer to explore, but they will all show affection, one way or another. We do provide them with food and a safe heaven, and yes, they will come to us because of that, but it goes far beyond the sense of security, or the warmth of our body that they bask in.
Last, but not least, snakes are intelligent creatures. Every intelligent being is capable of love. It is the way they display it, and the myths that surround it, that make some of us skeptical about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pile o'snakes.jpg (10.7 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by sophiedufort; 04-23-15 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: syntax error
Login to remove ads
Old 04-23-15, 04:52 AM   #2
MDT

Re: Snakes ARE affectionate

Quod erat demonstrandum
Old 04-23-15, 05:26 AM   #3
eminart

Biologically, why would a snake exhibit "love"? They aren't social animals. The very word "love" is a human construct used to explain biological adaptations that promote the spread of our genes. Other social animals exhibit some of the same "love" behaviors as humans. Reptiles, insects, etc. not so much.

I think you're anthropromorhizing the actions of your snake - actions that can be explained in ways that make more sense for a snake's natural behavior. The human brain looks for patterns. It often finds patterns where there really are none, or misinterprets animal behavior by applying human logic.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Last edited by eminart; 04-23-15 at 05:33 AM..
Old 04-23-15, 05:45 AM   #4
DDW

Thanks for this. My parents still never believe it But I do.
Old 04-23-15, 06:57 AM   #5
SSSSnakes

Take your snakes outside and turn them loose. If they love you they will return.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-23-15, 07:07 AM   #6
Sylphie

Imo some snakes are really calm, inquisitive and don't mind being handled, even for hours. They'll crawl, curl and watch humans and everything just because they are curious and really calm and confident. They can also recognize the smell of one person or get used to woman/man hands... but as eminart said they can't love someone, they just not that type of animal, they don't mate for life like some of the birds or mammals, they don't have complicated structure of the herd like rats etc.
And SSSSnakes is right, dogs, cats, horses, rats or some birds (and a lot of other animals) will make a bond with their keeper, and if turned loose they will come back. Snakes will just go ahead and quickly disappear.
Old 04-23-15, 07:10 AM   #7
FWK

MDT - Good luck with that LOL.

eminart - Very well said.

DDW - You are suffering from something called confirmation bias. You should get that looked at.

OP - Try the experiment SSSSnakes proposes. Make note of exactly when and where the animals were released and how long it took them to get home. Perhaps MDT will get what he is looking for
Old 04-23-15, 08:02 AM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

I'm watching this thread closely!
Old 04-23-15, 08:11 AM   #9
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWK View Post
DDW - You are suffering from something called confirmation bias. You should get that looked at.
I was very tired when I read this and I should know better than to go to the first person that claims some thing. Now, I realize I was being a bit idiotic. Oops*facepalms* ...anyway, I do think they can become gentle but I won't be risking my life just because I think any animal loves me (I realize it's not love when it comes to snakes)

Ps. What about lizzards, same concept?
Old 04-23-15, 08:39 AM   #10
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWK View Post
MDT - Good luck with that LOL.

Perhaps MDT will get what he is looking for
dude..you do know i was being facetious, right? have you not seen the other thread on this topic?

i have argued to the contrary of this sentiment on this forum until i'm blue in the face. i'm in complete agreement w jerry and eminart on this one...
Login to remove ads
Old 04-23-15, 08:46 AM   #11
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
Take your snakes outside and turn them loose. If they love you they will return.
^^My sentiments exactly.^^
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 04-23-15, 09:15 AM   #12
sophiedufort

Hey, guys, are you actually snake owners, or did you join this forum just for fun? You are acting as if snakes are worthless, brainless, heartless pets. If they are, why do you own them? Just for the thrill of it? Personally, I have snakes because I think they are wonderful animals, and I love seeing them behave a lot more decently than any other pet. And I do have heaps of other pets: ferrets, sugar gliders, chameleons and a dog.
I understand, of course, that opinions are divided on this topic, but I will forever argue that those who think that snakes cannot be affectionate are dead wrong. In most cases, the denial seems to come from people's inability to recognize the signs.
Someone said, in reply to this thread: "The very word "love" is a human construct used to explain biological adaptations that promote the spread of our genes." It is, in my view, the most cynical definition of 'love' that I ever read. We do no longer live in the ice age, for God's sake. But that's another topic, for another forum.
A dog wags his tail, barks, jumps of joy, licks your hand and does a million other things to express his love for you. A cat rubs against you. Sugar gliders bond for life. Ferrets love their play time more than they will ever care to display love, but they still do love their owner. Snakes don't have four paws, a tail to wag, and a voice to make loving sounds. They display their affection in a way that most people are unable to recognize and acknowledge, just because it is so different.
Of course, snakes will not come back if set loose. They are built that way. But that doesn't go against the fact that they are affectionate. You, guys, seem to think that affection is a pre-defined set of exhibited behaviors, and that, in order to qualify, all pre-requisites must be met. That's so wrong. Is like saying that your dog doesn't love you, because he doesn't wag his tail; instead, he only rests his head on your knee and licks your hand, but since not all conditions were met, that's not love.
I don't pretend to know snakes that well. But I do FEEL their love, and that says it all. In return, I treat them with the utmost care and affection and I make sure that they can feel it too. That's what makes a snake-human relationship worthwhile. If you own a snake just for the novelty or thrill of it, then you will never be able to understand what I mean.
Old 04-23-15, 09:30 AM   #13
FWK

Nobody has mentioned venomous yet Aaron, go whine elsewhere.

I just said venomous didn't I?

All good DDW. And yes, the same concept applies to lizards.

Yes, MDT, I understood you. You and I are in complete agreement on this and many other issues that arise on this forum. I often find myself nodding along as I read your posts.

Just to be clear, the suggestion to release the animals is purely sarcastic. To do so would be not only irresponsible but illegal.
Old 04-23-15, 09:32 AM   #14
bigsnakegirl785

I love my snakes quite a bit, and would be absolutely devastated if they disappeared, and they certainly are not a display animal for me. I believe they can come to trust certain people, people who they've been with for awhile and that have not harmed them. But they are not capable of love. None of my snakes care a single bit for me from what I can tell, they're just as quick to go running off as they are to climb on me. They do things that could be misconstrued as affection, such as reaching up and flicking their tongue on my nose as if to say "hello," but more likely it's just them sniffing your nose because hot smelly breath is coming out of it. None of my snakes come to me unless I am the only thing they can hide under. The garters will come out to the front of their tanks to come see what's going on, but it's not them being like a dog and coming wanting attention, it's merely them being interested in movement. Snakes don't want attention, they merely put up with it.

That said, as long as your animals are well taken care of, and not the reptile equivalent of dressing a dog up and treating it as a human baby, then how you view it isn't harming anyone and you can believe as you wish. Maybe one day we'll learn they actually are capable of some form of affection, I'm sure many members on this forum would like that to be true. But from the scientific studies we have currently, they physically just don't have the structures for complex emotions let alone love or affection.
Old 04-23-15, 09:43 AM   #15
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

DDW- Lizards, turtles, snakes, and any other form of reptile or amphibian I am leaving out, all share that lack of the warm fuzzies. This does not mean that you cannot earn the trust and respect of said animal however. It's just not 'love' in the basic sense of the word.

Example....you have a coworker who you HAAAATE for whatever reason, but, let's say that they are a good worker. Do you trust they will be there? Do you respect that their work ethic? On the other side...let's say it's a friend that you genuinely love...but you have coke to expect them to be unreliable and a bit of a ditz. Can you trust they will be there for you? Do you respect their judgements? Love, trust, and respect do not always go hand in hand.

Now, I have 3 different snakes with crazy different personalities. One of which is my western hognose who will actually come out of his hide and 'greet' me when I enter the room, and will show that 'separation anxiety' if I put him back in his enclosure. I feel he is just curious and may want more time out and about, but has little to do with 'me'...even if it makes me smile every time it happens lol.
As a side comment...please don't release any snake into the wild as an experiment if it will come back or not...I'm sure ssssnakes was being cheeky...so please do not take that suggestion seriously. Just...don't....

I stopped counting at 30....
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
affection, love, snakes are affectionate.