sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-16, 02:31 PM   #1
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Co-habbing carpets?

Can I house 2 female carpets together in a 4x2x3? I've received conflicting information.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 05-01-16, 03:03 PM   #2
Albert Clark

Re: Co-habbing carpets?

EL, i wish i had a answer but i have no idea about carpet husbandry or communal living.
Old 05-01-16, 03:17 PM   #3
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

I have also heard that you can co-hab without issues and was wondering the same thing. Looking forward to some answers!

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 05-01-16, 04:22 PM   #4
bigsnakegirl785

I feel the risk of injury, illness, and death is the same as any other snake. But I'm the type of person who wouldn't house garters together, so there's that. One of our senior members (who is no longer prolific here - Wayne) had a garter regurgitate a worm, which resulted in that snake becoming eaten by one of the others. I don't remember the species, but since that incident he no longer recommends cohabitation and I don't feel right trying to attempt it with any species.
Old 05-01-16, 07:56 PM   #5
MDT

I wish Shaunyboy was still active, he could jump in on this...If I remember correctly, he co-habitated females regularly without issue. Two definite different schools of thought. His collection seemed to do well.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-02-16, 01:13 AM   #6
toddnbecka

I cohabbed my larger Dominicans for a while, still do the smaller ones, and just recently separated my young pair of thayeri kings because they're getting closer to maturity. I've not had any issues, though I did separate them into tubs for feeding, and didn't put them back together until everyone had finished eating and settled down.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 05-02-16, 07:17 AM   #7
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

To me, co-habbing is more of a hassle than what it's worth. It has some complications that come along with it, and as MDT mentioned there are those for it as well as those against it, but as long as the cage size is large enough for both snakes to be comfortable, both snakes are in picture perfect health, and the species will work for co-habbing (which these guys will) than it is do-able.

Use a larger cage size than what you listed...I would use something with a floor space of 5x3 but the height you mentioned is fine. Separate for feeding and keep separate until the response is completely gone as well, and take the time to observe their behaviour a few minutes after reintroduction to ensure no feeding response will take place from residual odours of the fellow resident. Toddnbecka mentioned that both animals should be fed in a separate cage outside of the normal one, which is definitely the best practice for co-habbing. You want to reduce any residual smell of rodents that have been offered so feeding either snake in the cage is definitely not a good choice. And, last but not least, confirm that they are in fact both female before placing them together.
Old 06-11-16, 10:49 AM   #8
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
I wish Shaunyboy was still active, he could jump in on this...If I remember correctly, he co-habitated females regularly without issue. Two definite different schools of thought. His collection seemed to do well.
i still lurk my friend (apologies for not dealing with my pm's yet folks)

re carpets..

i co habit...

same sized females

hatchling pairs up until they near breeding age,then i split them up,once they're fully adult i co habit them again

during breeding season male carpets will combat each other,its like a wrestling match where they intertwin and try to hold each others heads down flat on the ground,the stronger male wins the other slinks away

re DIAMONDS
it's been found in the wild diamonds are NON combatent,in captivity ive put 2 male diamonds in with a female during breeding season and the males form a que and take turns trying to arouse/spur the female (both males in a 4x2x2ft tank with the female for a week or two at a time)

VERY IMPORTANT...

you MUST feed co habitors seperatly,i would just take out the snake that was in the best position to do so,then feed it in a tub,the other in their tank

MDT i have had a lot of family problems to deal with since i stopped coming on here,my wife kids and grandkids and i are all great,but a lot of crap dealt out by my mother,father,sister and nephews on my side of the family

my mother was buried yesterday and i wasn't at the funeral (that's how sh*t things have been mate )

i hope all is well with you and yours my good friend

all the best,shaun

p.s. i look forward to see how your clutch colours up mate

has your beautiful Gamma bred with anything yet ? (best looking carpet on this forum)