border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-19, 10:07 PM   #1
AuriBunny

Driving from CA to FL

I am moving to FL at the end of November and was trying to figure out how to bring my 1.5 year old Kenyan Sand Boa with me. Would it be too stressful for him to be in a car for 4 - 7 days? Should I plan on trying to fly him there when I first go? Or should I try to just rehome him locally as to not put him through that stress? Any advice would be helpful! Thank you~
Login to remove ads
Old 08-25-19, 01:12 PM   #2
Benjamin1975

Re: Driving from CA to FL

I would imagine in the california to florida I 10 corridor its still fairly warm in november.where I am from its in the 40's in november.that sounds a little hot to leave a snake in the car even for a short time.temps in cars can get hot in just a few minutes.

I would imagine you would need to leave the snake in the car for over a half hour quite a bit on a long trip like that.restraunts,store stops etc....

plus the A.C being on while your driving could be a little cold for a snake and there is no place to plug in a heating pad.

look I honestly have no idea what tempatures are like in that area in november but I am guessing and I am guessing its hot.that could be a problem,as far as the stress on the snake I dont really know I dont keep any pets but leaving the snake in the car could be an issue
Old 08-25-19, 06:06 PM   #3
AuriBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin1975 View Post
I would imagine in the california to florida I 10 corridor its still fairly warm in november.where I am from its in the 40's in november.that sounds a little hot to leave a snake in the car even for a short time.temps in cars can get hot in just a few minutes.

I would imagine you would need to leave the snake in the car for over a half hour quite a bit on a long trip like that.restraunts,store stops etc....

plus the A.C being on while your driving could be a little cold for a snake and there is no place to plug in a heating pad.

look I honestly have no idea what tempatures are like in that area in november but I am guessing and I am guessing its hot.that could be a problem,as far as the stress on the snake I dont really know I dont keep any pets but leaving the snake in the car could be an issue

Ah geez, that's something I didn't even think of. Thank you!
Old 08-25-19, 11:25 PM   #4
craigafrechette

Is there anybody you could leave him with until you arrive in FL? Then have them ship it once you're there?
Old 08-26-19, 02:29 PM   #5
Roman

Get yourself a Styrofoam (polystyrene) box which is big enough for your snake. Put the snake into a cloth bag (if it is small enough a sock would do nicely, otherwise a pillowcase), secure the opening of the bag, put the bag into the Styrofoam box and you are ready to go.

The Styrofoam box will insulate your snake from outside temperatures for hours (days), so it will neither get too cold or too hot inside this box. If you expect really cold temperatures you can add a chemical hand warmer to heat the inside of the box.

You can keep your snake inside this box for as long as it takes to get to your next motel, the Styrofoam is permeable for oxygen, so your snake isn’t in any danger of suffocating. I would get it out of the bag and into a small tub with access to fresh water during the night, probably keeping it in the bathroom where it is a little warmer then in your bedroom. Put it back into the bag and the box at the morning before you leave and you are good.

Here is a box from the UK Amazon page, I could not find the same in the US, but you should be able to find it.--> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Sty...s%2C201&sr=1-6
1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread