sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-18, 09:28 AM   #1
Neon Aurora

Sometimes an Animal's Reputation Can Delay Progress

So I'm finding this pretty hilarious.

My yellow anaconda was a nippy thing when he was little, and it didn't really improve much as he got bigger. Eventually I had a 3ish foot long snake that was still trying to bite me all the time. I knew their reputation as very aggressive snakes, that you can't condition them to handling, they will always try to bite you, etc. I knew there were exceptions, but I didn't think this was one of them. So I gave up on having a snake that wouldn't bite me and learned how to use a snake hook. I used the hook to support the front end of his body and keep his head away from me while I supported the back end with my hands. I always wore a puffy jacket and leather gloves. Yes, I hate getting bit, I know it's a bit excessive. But that puffy jacket works like a charm to prevent teeth actually contacting my skin. They just get a mouthful of puff.

And I spent literally years doing this. He's 6 feet and fully grown now.

For the past week, I've been doing some basic hook training with him, and would touch him with my (usually gloved, but not always) hands when his head was in a safe place. This has just been one week.

Today I wanted to weigh him. I fully intended to use my normal strategy. I got my puffy jacket and leather gloves and snake hook. This is the first time I've needed to remove him from his new enclosure. I'm used to a top opening enclosure, so the front opening thing was new to me. Plus, now he has a larger water pool to retreat into. The front opening means it would be much harder to get him out of the water once he goes in.

So I did my thing, manipulating his body with the hook until I could pick up a reasonable portion of his hind body. I went to secure his head with the hook, but he decided to make a dash for his pool. I knew I wouldn't be able to get him out if he went in, so I just went for it. Stuck my hand right under his body maybe 8 inches from his head and pulled him right out. And then I was standing there holding this snake that I was convinced would bite the crap out of me. I jumped on that scale holding the snake and got his weight and then I actually just stood there holding this snake. Guess what? He didn't bite me. He didn't even try. Not even a hiss. I even had a moment that was less than graceful. His head started coming up my arm and it was just too close to my face for comfort. This snake that I was convinced would bite me given the chance was like 10 inches from my face. So yes, I had a slight moment of panic and probably moved in ways that are not conducive to avoiding a bite. Got the snake off me, onto the ground, and guided him back into his enclosure. This is the largest snake I have handled myself, so I was probably not even doing a great job.

He was a little fast, squirmy, a little tense, but he didn't give me any kind of indication he was going to do anything. There were even moments when I was holding him in both hands that he was just calm. My rosy boa is more likely to bite me, honestly.

So I spent all this time convinced by this snake's reputation that I was always going to have a demon on my hands. I was so accepting of that reputation, that I didn't even try. And then I finally tried and it was completely not even a problem. I just find that really funny.

So we have some work to do. I'm no giving up my puffy jacket or leather gloves yet, but maybe eventually. Honestly, how cool would that be? A yellow anaconda that is both small enough for me to safely handle on my own, and is also safe to handle. I think I'll make a real effort on getting him conditioned, because after today, I actually think it can be done.

Last edited by Neon Aurora; 08-01-18 at 09:55 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 08-01-18, 10:51 AM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Sometimes an Animal's Reputation Can Delay Progress

I'm glad you're building more confidence and trust with your critter. A lot of snakes get undeserved "bad reps". My kings, bulls, carpets and especially my scrub python were all supposed to have nasty dispositions. I may have gotten a nip or two when they were babies that they've all been super mellow since then. I do hook train all my snakes and that really seems to help.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 08-02-18, 01:40 AM   #3
richardhind

definitely worth the hook training from little, can save a lot of nips as adults
looking great by the way, his colours are wicked
0.1 Common het Kahl BCI,,0.1 red pastel hypo het albino bci,0.1 kahl sunglow bci, 1.1 boa longicauda het "Zero",1.0 motley het kahl bci,0.1hypo img,1.0 hypo harlequin het vpi t+, 1.2 hypo 100%het albino and 100% het berry blood, 1.0 guyana bcc,1.0 hypo jungle het blood&het albino,1.0 albino motley0.1 sunglow motley,1.1 mandarinbelly leopard
Old 08-02-18, 08:20 AM   #4
bigsnakegirl785

Having an enclosure they feel safe in can go a long ways to making snakes more agreeable. Too many people have this view that all snakes, no matter what, should be kept in one certain set up, and that any nippy animals always either need to be handled into submission or left completely alone (of course there are times when a snake may be best being left alone, handling doesn't help an already stressed snake).

Hopefully he continues to do well for you, and you can get him out more.
Old 08-02-18, 09:50 AM   #5
Neon Aurora

Thanks, everyone. =D

I'm still irrationally scared of him, so think we need to take thing real slow. I'm going to work on getting to the point when I can touch him anywhere on hid body while he's still in the enclosure and have him not react before I try to take him out. He's kind of quick and it still really freaks me out when his head comes towards me.

I don't think the problem is that he doesn't trust me, I'm pretty sure it's that I don't trust him. So we'll work on it nice and slow.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-02-18, 03:29 PM   #6
trailblazer295

Being calm when handling and smooth movements will also help with nervous animals. Fast jerks will make things worse, definitely keep tap training when doing regular maintenance even if you're just changing water.