border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-18, 06:45 PM   #1
Klinger

VBB not eating.

This seems to be a regular discussion point, but I've never seen behavior like this before so maybe some reassurance is all i need to hear.

My VBB used to eat on a regular basis for the past 3.5 years, and lately rarely eats at all. Two weeks ago it took two weaned rats, but that was after a whole month of not eating. This has gone on since December, A month of no food followed by a meal. I've upped temps slightly, and nothing has changed.

My next step is a total tank cleaning, to remove any odors that could be a problem.

The biggest fear is that it is stressing because it's housing is too small, but I can't finish the new home for him until May due to climate and finances.

Should I be concerned, or is it just a snake being a snake? I really appreciate any comments.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-27-18, 07:06 PM   #2
Scubadiver59

Re: VBB not eating.

I can't help a lot since I just got my 0.1 VBB a few months ago, but it has been hit or miss on the feeding since I got it, and most times I just leave the prey behind and it picks it up after I've left the room.

A few things you don't mention are: actual temps, age or sex of snake, how often the actual schedule of feeding was, etc.

On the opposite end of the scale, my 1.0 Taiwanese Beauty is a voracious feeder...all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinger View Post
This seems to be a regular discussion point, but I've never seen behavior like this before so maybe some reassurance is all i need to hear.

My VBB used to eat on a regular basis for the past 3.5 years, and lately rarely eats at all. Two weeks ago it took two weaned rats, but that was after a whole month of not eating. This has gone on since December, A month of no food followed by a meal. I've upped temps slightly, and nothing has changed.

My next step is a total tank cleaning, to remove any odors that could be a problem.

The biggest fear is that it is stressing because it's housing is too small, but I can't finish the new home for him until May due to climate and finances.

Should I be concerned, or is it just a snake being a snake? I really appreciate any comments.
Old 03-28-18, 07:12 AM   #3
Herpin' Man

OK, I give up.
What is a VBB?
Old 03-28-18, 07:34 AM   #4
TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin' Man View Post
OK, I give up.
What is a VBB?
Vietnamese Blue Beauty snake
Old 03-28-18, 08:11 AM   #5
Klinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
I can't help a lot since I just got my 0.1 VBB a few months ago, but it has been hit or miss on the feeding since I got it, and most times I just leave the prey behind and it picks it up after I've left the room.

A few things you don't mention are: actual temps, age or sex of snake, how often the actual schedule of feeding was, etc.

On the opposite end of the scale, my 1.0 Taiwanese Beauty is a voracious feeder...all of the time.

Sorry about the lack of details. It's a male VBB that is 3.5 years old, and feeding day has been every Tuesday since he was a month old. It's about 75f on the cooler side, and almost 90f under the heat lamp, which is obviously off at night. The snake is not overweight at all, and strikes defensively at the food with a loud hiss. If he actually gets a solid bite, it will trigger feeding, but that is rare.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-28-18, 08:14 AM   #6
Albert Clark

It sounds like it could just be a snake behaviour. Double check the temps and consider adding a extra hide. Make sure the animal isn't ill or injured. Maybe even a different prey item ?
Old 03-28-18, 10:22 AM   #7
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

If the temps are good and the snake isn't ill I wouldn't be worried at all. A lot of snakes, especially males, will take long food breaks during the colder months or breeding seasons. I'd space out the time between feedings to every 2-3 weeks until he's eating consistently again. I have one younger snake that I was feeding weekly and she was always hit or miss. Same thing with bi-weekly feedings. Now I give her food every three weeks and she eats almost all of the time. Your adult snake is well established and knows what it needs. I'm confident he'll get back on track soon.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 03-28-18, 12:26 PM   #8
Scubadiver59

This sounds just like my 0.1 2yr old Hogg Island, it's was very tempermental the other day, hissing at me constantly. During the last feeding, it hissed, bit, but released the rat pup I offered it; so, it goes hungry until the next feeding cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinger View Post
Sorry about the lack of details. It's a male VBB that is 3.5 years old, and feeding day has been every Tuesday since he was a month old. It's about 75f on the cooler side, and almost 90f under the heat lamp, which is obviously off at night. The snake is not overweight at all, and strikes defensively at the food with a loud hiss. If he actually gets a solid bite, it will trigger feeding, but that is rare.
Old 03-28-18, 08:40 PM   #9
Klinger

Thanks for all the replies, and the confidence! I was getting tired of tossing those feeders out every week, now I'll slow down the feedings and save a few bucks. I wish this snake ate like my Sinoloan, no worries there about eating. I'll try to update if things change.
Old 04-04-18, 06:41 PM   #10
Klinger

Well, it's Tuesday once again. I left two small rats for the VBB and left the house, hopefully they are gone when I get back.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-13-18, 08:03 AM   #11
Klinger

Update! He did not eat last week, but this week he ate one small rats. I guess that's a good thing! Thanks for all the support.
Old 04-13-18, 09:17 AM   #12
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I'm glad but not surprised that he ate Klinger. I still believe that the hunger ALWAYS wins in the end . Now that it's getting warmer hopefully he'll eat more consistently again.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Closed Thread