border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-15, 11:23 AM   #1
chairman

Carpet eating habits

Maybe I just haven't fed enough snakes but...

My experience is that snakes almost universally look their meals over to find the head and start swallowing from there. Every once in a while someone eats a mouse/rat tail first but I've found this to be the exception, not the rule.

But then there's my male jag. I'm feeding him mice which are only equal to his diameter so I know they're a little small. I'm making up the difference by feeding multiple mice, will buy appropriately sized rats the next time I order feeders. Unlike normal snakes, my jag does not reposition his prey if he misses the nose with his strike. He just uses his body to bend the mouse in half and eats it from wherever he's grabbed it. The first time he did it I shrugged it off but he's starting to make a regular habit of it. I'm not overly concerned as the mouthful is only between 1.5 and 2x girth, but is this a normal carpet thing? Maybe a jag thing? My female eats like any sensible snake, searching for that streamlined end.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-21-15, 12:35 PM   #2
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Re: Carpet eating habits

It's just an individual snake thing. I've had a few do this if they can get it in their mouth that way.
Old 07-22-15, 12:24 AM   #3
toddnbecka

Carpets have a mind-boggling capacity for swallowing relatively huge prey. I supect yours is just too eager to chow down the food to bother sorting it out first. I've seen my carpet and the BCI's do the same thing a few times with small enough mice, but not typically.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 07-22-15, 03:19 AM   #4
pinefamily

Our Morelia will generally eat from the head, but from time time will start at the other end. Have never seen them eat like you describe though. And yes, they can get large prey down. Lol
1.1 Diamond pythons, 1.1 Gammon Ranges pythons, 1.1 coastal pythons, 2.0 Murray Darling pythons, 1.1 albino Northwestern pythons, 1.0 spotted python, sand monitor, Spencers monitor, yellow spotted monitor, 1.0 leatherback bearded dragon, eastern water dragon, red spiny tailed monitor.
Old 07-22-15, 09:05 PM   #5
chairman

Well, I guess he'll figure out which end is which once I move him to larger prey.

Speaking of the little devil, grabbed some pics today. Neither of my carpets were feeling very cooperative, I think the great outdoors was too interesting.

Login to remove ads
Old 07-22-15, 09:29 PM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Beautiful carpets and very nice pictures chairman.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 07-23-15, 03:25 PM   #7
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Very nice!
Old 09-22-15, 08:31 PM   #8
thorn rose

My female eats like any sensible snake, searching for that streamlined end.
Old 09-24-15, 04:03 PM   #9
reptiledude987

I think it will start eating normally once you up the food size and it cant fit its food down sideways.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 09-24-15, 06:32 PM   #10
MDT

Wow Chairman....the jag is stellar and the banding on the JCP is so clean. Very nice indeed!!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread