border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-17, 07:33 AM   #76
jay's reptiles

Re: Introducing Dr. Coil

Wow dr. coil is awesome. Very pretty and cool species of snake!
Old 05-05-17, 08:36 AM   #77
zactay22

I just purchase a home that the previous owner had a pile of landscape timbers. I was clearing out all the junk and found her laying eggs. She was very small probably the reason only two eggs were laid. When she was done I set them up in vermiculite. That was back in march. I doubt they would have survived because it's been very dry and hot here in central Florida.
Old 05-05-17, 08:41 AM   #78
jay's reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zactay22 View Post
I just purchase a home that the previous owner had a pile of landscape timbers. I was clearing out all the junk and found her laying eggs. She was very small probably the reason only two eggs were laid. When she was done I set them up in vermiculite. That was back in march. I doubt they would have survived because it's been very dry and hot here in central Florida.
I hope it all goes well. It might not be snake related, but my hen just hatched out 10 chicks, (These are not feeders btw) Just farm pets though.
Old 05-05-17, 08:47 AM   #79
whistlepig

Quote:
Wow dr. coil is awesome. Very pretty and cool species of snake!
Thanks!

Quote:
Cool. I hope all goes well and that you post some pictures when they hatch.
Old 05-05-17, 08:57 AM   #80
zactay22

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
Thanks!

Cool. I hope all goes well and that you post some pictures when they hatch.
Sure I candled them a few days ago, nice red veins. Not much info on incubation time for racers but between 60 to 70 days would be my guess.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-09-17, 06:29 PM   #81
zactay22

I candled one racer egg today, about 2.5 weeks to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (42.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 05-10-17, 08:00 AM   #82
whistlepig

Cool! Is that timeline based on when the eggs were laid or from something you see when you candled them? Looking forward to seeing the little racers. Looking back at some of Dr. Coil's pictures when I first got him, he's changed quite a bit. His blotches are barely visible now.
Old 05-10-17, 08:36 AM   #83
zactay22

Quote:
Cool! Is that timeline based on when the eggs were laid or from something you see when you candled them? Looking forward to seeing the little racers. Looking back at some of Dr. Coil's pictures when I first got him, he's changed quite a bit. His blotches are barely visible now.
Timeline. Little information is available about racer incubation. But my guess is by the end of this month. The light passing through is obscured now, so there's a little worm in the egg. Most people don't know that hatchlings have a pattern. Makes you wonder why they turn black. Absorb heat better or so they look like ninjas. Probaly why they're so fast.
Old 05-25-17, 07:56 PM   #84
whistlepig

Looks like Dr. Coil is finally gearing up for another shed, so it's time to post updated pics.

First in the spirit of May as the month of mother's day, Here's Dr. Coil and his mother**

The rest are just since his last shed.

**Given several assumptions and leaps of faith. Assumptions: 1) That I know the location where he was hatched (pretty confident in this one). 2) That racer's display nest site fidelity (some weak evidence for this).
Old 05-25-17, 09:55 PM   #85
Cricket1234

Quote:
Looks like Dr. Coil is finally gearing up for another shed, so it's time to post updated pics.

First in the spirit of May as the month of mother's day, Here's Dr. Coil and his mother**

The rest are just since his last shed.

**Given several assumptions and leaps of faith. Assumptions: 1) That I know the location where he was hatched (pretty confident in this one). 2) That racer's display nest site fidelity (some weak evidence for this).
Really looking forward to captive breeding of these guys, what great snakes. If I could only get another snake.......
Login to remove ads
Old 05-26-17, 06:50 AM   #86
whistlepig

Rumor has it that at least 1 and maybe 2 members of this site are interested in breeding racers. Maybe by the time their set up and producing, you'll be able to get another.
Old 06-27-17, 07:13 PM   #87
whistlepig

Time for more Dr. Coil pics. Since his last shed, he has officially lost all traces of his juvenile color pattern.

Old 07-19-17, 07:44 PM   #88
whistlepig

Time for more updates. His shed caught me by surprise this time. I was away a couple of days and didn't see the blue eyes, but he was acting weird and I was starting to get worried something was wrong with him, but then he shed today. So, the updates:

Just to give some size perspective his latest shed next to his second shed.
Old 08-02-17, 09:15 PM   #89
TLD

I love Dr. Coil! Really enjoyed going through your thread and seeing all of his pictures.
Old 08-03-17, 02:46 AM   #90
dannybgoode

I've said it before but don't mind saying it again - incredible snake. Love the face - I'd have one in my collection in a heartbeat.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread