border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-20, 08:03 AM   #1
Pr7sm

Help choosing snake

I own a Corn Snake and unfortunately he has outgrown his tank, so i'm sending him off to my friend who loves all reptiles, now I plan on moving onto a juvenile Aquatic Snake. I want a nice looking one, that isn't too difficult to care for (or too expensive), I'm not extremely experienced as the Corn snake is the only one I have had and though I had no problems with him, I've never had a water snake. I have a 25 gallon triangular tank, which I'm assuming is a decent size considering I am going to get a juvenile. Any reccomendations? (Pennsylvania TBC)
Login to remove ads
Old 04-26-20, 11:02 AM   #2
Veronica

Re: Help choosing snake

So perhaps I misunderstand, but you are giving away your corn snake because it got too big, and now you want an aquatic snake that will also outgrow the tank? Will you just keep getting rid of your animals when they get to big? That seems really wrong, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean
Old 04-26-20, 11:13 AM   #3
ClockwerkBonnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
So perhaps I misunderstand, but you are giving away your corn snake because it got too big, and now you want an aquatic snake that will also outgrow the tank? Will you just keep getting rid of your animals when they get to big? That seems really wrong, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean
Maybe this person can't afford a new cage for the corn snake.
Old 04-26-20, 11:29 AM   #4
craigafrechette

Quote:
Agreed....
R.I.P. Django
Old 04-26-20, 11:29 AM   #5
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwerkBonnet View Post
Maybe this person can't afford a new cage for the corn snake.
...but can afford a new snake???

How about just getting an appropriately sized enclosure for the corn?
R.I.P. Django
Login to remove ads
Old 04-26-20, 11:37 AM   #6
Pr7sm

Quote:
I'm handing my snake over to my friend because he has much larger tanks I feel he would be more suited for and he always wanted a pet snake but never got around to getting one. As I said I'm looking to get a juvenile, I'm not exactly sure on how fast they will grow but I'm assuming a 25g tank would be fine for a while until I eventually get a new tank. Don't have the money right now to buy a new tank at the moment.
Old 04-26-20, 11:46 AM   #7
Pr7sm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
...but can afford a new snake???

How about just getting an appropriately sized enclosure for the corn?

I can get a water snake for around 15$ - 25$.

A tank would cost 100+
Old 04-26-20, 12:29 PM   #8
Veronica

The reason they are so cheap is because they are wild caught. Which means expensive vet bills for treating parasites. It would be cheaper to find a used tank or even cheaper to buy a big plastic tub and modify it for your corn
Old 04-26-20, 02:30 PM   #9
craigafrechette

Quote:
The reason they are so cheap is because they are wild caught. Which means expensive vet bills for treating parasites. It would be cheaper to find a used tank or even cheaper to buy a big plastic tub and modify it for your corn

Bingo!!! I agree with every word.
R.I.P. Django
Old 04-26-20, 06:37 PM   #10
dangernoodles

Check craigslist for tanks or get a tub. Cheap snakes end up being more expensive because of the vet bills. If you knew your corn snake was going to outgrow the tank, shouldn't you have been prepared for that or gotten an adult in the first place? What happens when the water snake gets too big?
Login to remove ads
Old 04-27-20, 09:58 AM   #11
MnGuy

@Pr7sm Put a pause on getting any new snakes/pets for now, and wait until you have the space, time and money to properly accommodate an animal for it's lifetime. A triangular tank is not a good shape for snakes no matter the species. They need length to stretch out.

It's important to be prepared for the ultimate adult size of the snake you get, and to have the funds to provide for it adequately.

It's also important to understand that you can't take in an animal if you'll only have a brief interest in it. That's not fair to the animal.

I'm not sure how old you are, but if you're a young person with limited resources and money, join a local herp club, get to know others, find mentors and look for bargains on Craigslist, Facebook groups, etc. Or, find a part-time job.

If you know you're mostly interested in getting hands-on experience with lots of different species instead of keeping one species for its lifetime, volunteer with a local herp club to foster rescues until they are adopted or a local wildlife visitor's center or help a local keeper at his/her home.

Or, just go herping in the woods and leave the snakes where they're at when you're done.

Pursue your interests without putting an animal in a bad situation. Good luck to you.
Old 04-30-20, 11:18 AM   #12
BlackKing Nacho

i find this post funny. if you cant afford to up grade your tank to best suit your snake needs, you shouldnt own an animal. what if your new snake gets sick and needs an expensive vet bill? you just going to let him die? people who get animals without thinking ahead shouldnt own them. give your friend the corn snake and dont buy ANY animals untill you can afford all aspects of owning a creature. my 2 cents.
Old 05-01-20, 09:22 AM   #13
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKing Nacho View Post
i find this post funny. if you cant afford to up grade your tank to best suit your snake needs, you shouldnt own an animal. what if your new snake gets sick and needs an expensive vet bill? you just going to let him die? people who get animals without thinking ahead shouldnt own them. give your friend the corn snake and dont buy ANY animals untill you can afford all aspects of owning a creature. my 2 cents.
Agree 100000%
R.I.P. Django
Old 05-01-20, 10:31 AM   #14
GFLY

The moment you buy an animal, you accept the responsibilities of owning that animal, which includes of research, time, and money. If you cant afford to buy a new tank for your Cornsnake, and would rather give him away for an animal that is completely different in every way and requires even more money/care for its environment, then you're buying animals with no thought and preparation. Its irresponsible, and it can cause unecessary stress for the animal. If you can afford a new pet, you can afford a new tank.
Old 05-01-20, 10:32 AM   #15
GFLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKing Nacho View Post
I completely agree.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread