border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-18, 11:32 AM   #1
Lilli

Clogged nostril?

Hello. I’ve had my boa for almost 3 years now, from the time that he was less than a foot long. While I had more time for daily handling and upkeep when I wasn’t working, I still am active in his life and make a point to handle him as much as I can as long as conditions are safe. (I live in Michigan so it can get pretty cold.) Today when I took him out I noticed that one of his nostrils is clogged. It’s not bubbling, discolored or anything. Just looks like maybe a messed up shed? My only guess other than that is maybe it’s from rubbing on his cage? He doesn’t do it too much, usually only when I put him back from handling. Since he’s on a growth spurt I’m having to replace things within his cage often. Maybe he’s stressed from the constant change and rubbing more because of that? I’m going to be getting a new cage but my hands are tied until I move this August. I’ve taken him to the vet before so if I have to again it wouldn’t be a problem for me. Any advice is appreciated.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-22-18, 02:55 PM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: Clogged nostril?

When did he shed last?
What substrate do you use?

It could either be a tiny piece of stuck shed or maybe substrate??
Old 05-22-18, 07:17 PM   #3
Scubadiver59

Re: Clogged nostril?

Just watching my vet, and if you have good eyes and can get someone to control the body while you hold the head, you could try picking out the blockage with a toothpick or something. Just be very gentle and go slowly. You could use someone’s reading glasses if you need some magnification.

My vet used a metal pick to remove the blockage.

Tags
boa constrictor, clogged nose, nose rubbing, please help, shedding question