border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-16, 02:25 PM   #1
eminart

Any Crotalus horridus Keepers?

Once in a while I start tossing around the idea of keeping a venomous snake. In Alabama, we're restricted to only keeping native hots, oddly enough. Weird how the laws are all over the place on this issue, depending on where you live. But, anyway, that limits me to Timbers, eastern diamondbacks, pygmies, copperheads, and cottonmouths. I've always loved timber rattlers. I think my favorite herp find and photo of all time was a gorgeous light-phase timber I came across a few years ago. I've always thought about what a beautiful display snake they'd make.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? I understand the risks, and this may be something I never follow through with because of that. But, I do love them.

Photos and stories welcome!
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Login to remove ads
Old 12-02-16, 04:43 PM   #2
Bandit

Re: Any Crotalus horridus Keepers?

I've only worked with one captive individual extensively. All I can say is that he was an absolute pleasure to work with. Easily one of the most laid back snakes I've ever worked with. Never struck, not fidgety at all, and was fairly easy to read. He was spoiled rotten though. He knew how things went and he loved it. His enclosure was on ground level, and every time we'd take him out to let him free roam he'd just make his way back to his enclosure (he's big and slow moving, so this wasn't as absurd as it sounds). That's my only experience though. I'm not sure if they're all that laid back or it was just him.
Old 12-02-16, 05:38 PM   #3
eminart

They wild ones I've come across seemed pretty laid back, as far as wild snakes go. And they're just such beautiful snakes.

“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 12-02-16, 05:45 PM   #4
Bandit

Agreed. And from what I've seen, the bigger/older they get (in the wild), the more laid back they become. So I'd assume it would be a similar trend in most captive individuals. Nice shot by the way. I'll have to dig through my computer and find some of the pictures I got earlier in the year.
Old 12-02-16, 05:55 PM   #5
eminart

Thanks for the info. I don't personally know any venomous keepers in my area. Thought I'd ask on here. I knew there were a couple of people that have kept various rattlers.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-02-16, 07:20 PM   #6
aaron_cg

Use to have a few Crotalus atrox (Western Diamondbacks) and a Sistrurus catenatus (Massasauga). The Atrox's were drama queens while the Catenatus was pretty mellow.

Can you own them in Alabama without permission from the Game Warden? Here in Texas we have to have a special permit to keep certain species (It's just a hunting license basically. $20 at Academy) But the Canebrake is a protected species here. So the only way I can legally own one is to get a special permit, get approval through the TPWD and buy it from out of state. Which sucks because they are my favorite snakes.

Now, in reference to them, they are amazing. As Bandit said, they are mellow and laid back. A friend, before he moved, had an extensive hot collection and he had 3. All three worked well on a hook, easy to tube, switched to F/t with a few meals, and overall were probably the easiest snakes to deal with. Not that you would, but his you could probably hold without the worry of getting tagged.

*Disclaimer - That last sentence was just to illustrate a point. I do not recommend ever touching a hot unless you need to. If you needed this sentence, please do not get a hot.
Old 12-02-16, 07:31 PM   #7
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_cg View Post
*Disclaimer - That last sentence was just to illustrate a point. I do not recommend ever touching a hot unless you need to. If you needed this sentence, please do not get a hot.
This made me laugh. I thought about saying the same thing about the one I worked with, but decided to leave it out. I had always thought about free-handling him, but I wouldn't even want to imagine a bite from that big boy. He was over 5' and bulky. Not something I'd want to experience.
Old 12-02-16, 07:32 PM   #8
KrokadilyanGuy3

Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3

One of my favorite snakes.
All Ive had and encountered were calm, as stated above, and depending on location, they come in a bunch of natural color phases.
Old 12-02-16, 07:40 PM   #9
eminart

Thanks for the replies guys. You're fueling the fire. My wife doesn't like the idea, but it's growing on me, and I know I can sway her.

Aaron, yeah, I'm almost positive I can have them here with no paperwork, but I'd definitely check into it more before proceeding.
Old 12-02-16, 07:53 PM   #10
Bandit

Here are some of the ones I saw this year. The last one was probably my favorite. The colors on it were absolutely stunning.

Login to remove ads
Old 12-04-16, 11:05 AM   #11
aaron_cg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminart View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. You're fueling the fire. My wife doesn't like the idea, but it's growing on me, and I know I can sway her.

Aaron, yeah, I'm almost positive I can have them here with no paperwork, but I'd definitely check into it more before proceeding.

The wife is always the hardest part. Mine actually now loves the snakes, and is ok with hots. Best of luck on that front, I know it doesn't always go so smoothly.
Old 12-04-16, 11:18 AM   #12
eminart

Very nice Bandit. I love all the color variations.

As far as the wife, she's fine with all the reptiles, but it looks like hots might be more of a fight than I anticipated. But, I have no imminent plans, so maybe I can slowly warm her up to the idea.
Old 12-04-16, 11:29 AM   #13
pet_snake_78

My .02 is it probably isn't worth fighting the wife over, though they certainly are amazing snakes. Would a few field trips a year to see them in the wilds suffice? Maybe if the wife came along and saw how docile even wild ones are, she'd be more inclined to agree? How far is the nearest hospital, can you get any kind of coverage in case of a bite and if not what is the anticipated cost, and do they have antivenin?
Old 12-04-16, 12:09 PM   #14
aaron_cg

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...ml#post1010665

Post I made on here about locking an enclosure so it is escape proof.
Old 12-04-16, 01:16 PM   #15
MartinD

@Aaron, someone I know didn't remove the keys and her snake worked out how to get out of the enclosure by moving the locking tabs from inside lol
Closed Thread