Thread: Rats
View Single Post
Old 10-21-10, 11:30 PM   #27
ema-leigh

Re: Rats

Well no your not offending me at all, but I do have to add that a lot of what you mentioned is actually not accurate. There is a TON of wrong info on the internet about rats.

Co2 burns whatever way you administer it to the rats. How can I prove this? Set up a Co2 Chamber (without a rat in there) even to a lower dose than normal then stick your face in it... your skin and eyes will burn. Its nothing like being knocked out for surgery.. if it were don't you think it would be a cheaper option than isoflurane - which is the only STABLE anestethic permissible to be used for surgeries. Theres a reason we don't use Co2! The sources you read on the internet were likely very outdated, or just plainly misinformed. The link you gave to small euthanasia at home does not mean its humane. This has been tried and tested and the vets use Isoflurane followed by lethal injection to the heart/stomach for a reason. Co2 would be a much cheaper option for them, but its not allowed by the board because the animals DO SUFFER!

The mix I posted is a very basic, but complete diet. Rats need CARB based protien, not meat based. Its a misconception to think grain contains no protien. Dog food, in which ever form is going to be hard on rats organs. Now adding a little bit to a mix is okay... (generally because most dog foods are poor quality and contain grains anyway) but its not okay to be fed full term (and the 'meat' protien in dog food is from a very poor source). Nuts and seeds are high in protien and oils, too much will make your rats itchy and their coats dull + greasy. A small amount will act as a supplement. I don't get what you mean by empty calories? These are carbs, packed with the nutrition thats rats are supposed to eat. Now if these grains were puffed cereal, or sugary then yes they would be garbage. But plain whole grains... thats what they need!!
Also canned veggies from your grocery store.. they'll really appreciate it and what are they like 77 cent a can?

Please if you want me to explain anything in more detail just let me know. I can provide links and scientific studies if you can read that sort of thing.

Harlan is a great lab block to feed your rodents. If anyone lives in Canada I know of a very reasonable distributor within Canada. (so no crazy import fees)
I'm in British Columbia and I got charged $66 to have a 33lb bag delivered to my door! Works out to less than $2 per lb (shipping costs included)
It can be frozen for up to 6 months before it slowly starts to loose nutritional value, and I mean very slowly so it can be used a month or so after the expiry date.