border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-18, 09:37 PM   #1
BakerStreetHobo

Need help with underweight/underfed boa asap

So I have a female bci het albino, she's around 2 and a half years old. When I got her she was 6 months old and very small, I was never told until recently how old she was when I got her. I just assumed she would grow and it was because she was young, it's now almost 2 years later and I haven't seen much increase in size. She's been eating rat pups for the last year but is currently eating an adult mouse once a week because I'm waiting for the store to restock on rats. She's probably around 3 feet long and not very big around. I've seen everywhere on how big they should be at this age and she looks like she's only around 8 months compared to the other boas. I'm extremely worried for her well being now and can't find literally any information on this. I NEED HELP BAD. Please if anyone can give me information on how I can get her up to regular size fast, she has a square body shape and doesn't look really underweight but she won't grow. I don't know what to do I really need her to be okay. Any help is greatly appreciated
Login to remove ads
Old 12-06-18, 11:11 AM   #2
richardhind

Re: Need help with underweight/underfed boa asap

hi
does she eat regular or is she finicky most boas dont miss meals and are normally pigs .are sure its a girl? males are normaly alot smaller

she may have a smaller central american type genes. not all grow massive my 4 year old Nicaraguan boa is just under 5ft and perfectly healthy.
she should be fed food thats approx the same size as the fattest part of her body or slightly larger. normally at they age there on small/medium rats every 2-3 weeks depending on which .
a mouse at that age i would say in my personal opinion is not enough even on a weekly basis

hope this helps
my 2.5 year olds are on small rats every two-three weeks

try post some pics if you can of her and setup if possible
0.1 Common het Kahl BCI,,0.1 red pastel hypo het albino bci,0.1 kahl sunglow bci, 1.1 boa longicauda het "Zero",1.0 motley het kahl bci,0.1hypo img,1.0 hypo harlequin het vpi t+, 1.2 hypo 100%het albino and 100% het berry blood, 1.0 guyana bcc,1.0 hypo jungle het blood&het albino,1.0 albino motley0.1 sunglow motley,1.1 mandarinbelly leopard
Old 12-06-18, 02:38 PM   #3
BakerStreetHobo

Hey thank you for your reply, she eats perfectly fine and never misses a meal, she doesn't look super skinny but she's just not the right size for her age. And the breeder told me it's a female but he also told me she was alot younger than 6 months when I got it so I don't know what is true and what's a lie anymore. As for the rats I'm going to buy them asap just waiting for the restock as I only have one pet store near me. While I wait what do you recommend? Should I try and feed 2 mice in one day or feed her every 5 days? I don't want to make her sick or anything
Old 12-06-18, 05:41 PM   #4
Pedroo

Increase the size of her meal. Small rats immediately and then medium rats. What you are feeding her is too small of a meal. You need to do that in order for her to catch up
Old 12-06-18, 06:11 PM   #5
BakerStreetHobo

Okay thank you all for the help
Login to remove ads
Old 12-10-18, 10:14 AM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Do you have a picture of your snake? If she's eating regularly and otherwise healthy I wouldn't be worried at all. Don't try to make up for lost time and feel the need to feed her more in an attempt to accelerate her growth. If she's slightly undersized just stick with a healthy feeding schedule and she'll grow at her own pace. Slow and steady wins the race.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 12-10-18, 03:24 PM   #7
herp nerd

This is very strange. Have you took her to the vet yet?
Old 12-11-18, 07:31 AM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

Her size itself isn't a concern imo. You don't want to feed her to get her up to size, all snakes grow at their own pace. Feed her a rat roughly equal to her girth every other week, and she should be fine.

At 3', you could probably easily bump her up from rat pups to weaned rats, though. My boas 3'-3.5' eat weaned rats, 3.5'-4.5' boas are on smalls. As long as it leaves at most a barely noticeable difference in girth after being swallowed.
Old 12-13-18, 07:45 AM   #9
herp nerd

What size tank is she in? 3-4 year old boas need at least 8 feet of floor space.
Closed Thread

Tags
bci, boa, feeding, underweight