border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-17, 06:06 AM   #1
Pastel

Smile Hello!

Hi! I'm new here and new to snakes in general. I don't have a snake atm, but I plan to get one eventually. Not any time soon. I'm currently doing research on which one to get, how to care for them, etc.

I've always loved snakes as well as a lot of other animals (cats, dogs, hamsters, rats, horses, fish, you get the point). I was iffy about having to feed the snake rodents (I want pet rats in the future too, though obviously kept far apart), but I learned that many people actually feed frozen and not live, and realized that it's really no different that any other animal eating another animal.

I'm leaning on getting a ball python or a spotted python.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-07-17, 03:51 PM   #2
Scubadiver59

Re: Hello!

Welcome to sSNAKESs!!
Old 06-09-17, 03:42 PM   #3
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Welcome to ssnakess! I'd go for the spotted python myself but it's a matter of taste!
Old 06-11-17, 02:09 AM   #4
dannybgoode

Welcome. Agree with Tsu - I'd go spotted as well. Every collection should have a ball at some point but as a first and possibly only snake then a spotted is more unusual and imo more interesting snake to have.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 06-11-17, 03:00 AM   #5
dave himself

Hi and welcome
Login to remove ads
Old 06-15-17, 02:34 PM   #6
Pastel

Thanks for all the kind comments! I was lucky to visit nice non chain pet store (they sold fish, rodents snakes and a few other repetiles) they took great care of their snakes and even handled them. The guy in charge of the snakes let me hold a small ball python and I think I've just fallen even more in love with ball pythons and decided that when I get one I'm getting a ball. I had have to admit it took some will power not to beg my mom to get a snake.

I do have a question though, with animals I prefer to buy a decent sized enclosure, but I heard that ball pythons prefer a smaller area and need upgrades through out their life. Is this true? I plan on getting a t8 animals plastics cage (assuming they're still in business by then) will half that be okay for a baby ball python and then remove the divider when he needs it, or should I get tubs until he can just go into the full t8? (I like the look of the t8 better than tubs but if before he's full grown he needs a smaller enclosure I'll be willing to deal with ugly tubs for a while.)
Old 06-15-17, 06:04 PM   #7
REM955

I was in a similar situation.
I bought the larger, adult (over) sized cage and littered it with a number of hides of appropriate size. Evenly distributed across the heat gradient.
Larger size is fine as long as they are still comfortable in it; they don't live in a box in the wild after all.
Old 06-15-17, 10:12 PM   #8
Pastel

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM955 View Post
I was in a similar situation.
I bought the larger, adult (over) sized cage and littered it with a number of hides of appropriate size. Evenly distributed across the heat gradient.
Larger size is fine as long as they are still comfortable in it; they don't live in a box in the wild after all.
I thought it seemed a little off that some people recommend keeping snakes in smaller enclosurers. Normally with every other animal, the bigger, the better, as long as they have hiding spots. I think I'm going to go with keeping the animals plastics cage only.

I might have to buy more hides, but hey, I like decorating Animal enclosures. And I like buying a lot of things for my pets.

Also I heard someone say that you shouldn't handle ball pythons that often. I understand that you should build trust first, but what about after that? (Assuming the snake isn't going to be too hot or too cold outside of the cage). I see a bunch of YouTubers handing their pythons often, so I thought it would be fine to take them out, say, 10-20 minutes once or twice a day. I don't care if they hide in their cage most of the time though, I'm used to my hamster being asleep when I'm up. Or just me not being able to see him at night cause it's dark in my room (and his cage).
Old 06-15-17, 11:51 PM   #9
dannybgoode

I keep my snakes a little differently from a lot of people and I wouldn't keep an adult ball I anything smaller than a 4x2x2 *but* with tons of hiding and climbing options. Lots of clutter as well to visually break up any perceived open spaces.

I know someone who's just finished an 8'x2x2 viv for a ball but even I think that is overkill (though not totally pointless if you have then space).

Balls don't necessarily like living in small spaces rather they like to feel secure in whatever space they have if that makes sense.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 06-20-17, 06:37 AM   #10
Clueless

hello, i just joined also.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags