sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-10, 11:33 PM   #1
D3v

boa constrictor wont eat.

Hi new to the forums.

basically i have a 6 foot male BCI that wont eat. Its been 5? or so months since his last meal. On normal circumstances I feed my Snakes f/t rats. But he has refused f/t. Today i resorted on feeding live but refused that as well. Its as if he shows no interest in feeding? I do have a 4ft female bci the on the cage above. Would this put em off of feeding?
Login to remove ads
Old 12-14-10, 02:14 AM   #2
Ch^4
3.141592653 Pythons

Re: boa constrictor wont eat.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I don't own a BCI, but how old is he? Is he brumating (essentially hibernating)? I know that male ball pythons sometimes end up brumating around this time of the year and refuse food (mine did for over 6 months).

How are his temperatures? And humidity? Sometimes, changes in their environment can lead to refused meals. I don't think that BCIs will actually starve themselves to death, and if he's 6 feet long, I'm assuming that he'll be okay. Again, my BP went about 6-8 months without food and he was probably about 2.5-3 feet at the time.

The BCI owners will be on tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be more help.
Old 12-14-10, 05:19 AM   #3
Nafun

How is your husbandry? If you're free of mites, your temps are good, your humidity is good, he's probably gone off feed for the winter.

As for enticing him to eat, have you tried braining rats? (exposing the brain tissue)

If he's losing an appreciable amount of weight, it could be a parasitic infection and a vet can give you medication to clear it up. However, to diagnose, he's probably going to need a stool sample, which means you're looking at two vet visits, one to tube feed him to generate a stool sample, and one to run tests on the stool sample.

Is this the first year you've had him? Has he gone off feed for long periods before?
Old 12-14-10, 04:32 PM   #4
Swan
Banned for rude comments

I have boas and if you have a female in the same room he's got other things then food on the mind! They don't always need a cool down period. One of my males goes off feed for a few months whether he's with my female or not. Happens to him in the fall.
Old 12-14-10, 06:38 PM   #5
D3v

I have owned this snake for about a year. And has eaten F/T rats without much problem in the past. Temps are good. around 89F in the warmest part of the cage.70% humidity. No mites. But he sure does like to rub alot.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-16-10, 01:19 PM   #6
belovedboas

I am actually having this exact same problem!! with Hector 6.5 ft BCI 3 feedings in a row......he just refused again for the third time.....brained it and have in tub with just him and the rat....hope it works, worked for me before

Greg
Old 12-16-10, 01:21 PM   #7
belovedboas

ahhhhh I have a female in the same room Ithink its a female my columbian redtail.......not sexed though and I am not experienced enough to pop or probe!!! So i'm thinkin this could be my problem...maybe

Greg
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, constricto, feed, r wont, rat