border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-17, 07:02 AM   #1
Dmurphy95

Life of Mopani!

Hello all, this is more or less gonna be the "daily life/progression thread" for my new Bald Enchi Pinstripe Ball Python! Who, by the way, now has the gorgeous name Mopani~

Came home today from stay-over babysitting work to see that the handsome little guy has finally come out of his hide and moved around his cage!

Mopani out! 2.jpg

Mopani out! 1.jpg

He was hanging out by his water bowl and staring at me when I walked in my room~

I'll let him chill a bit more today so he can really relax, then I'll see if he'll eat tomorrow. I honestly expect him to considering how curious he was on the drive home a few days ago, so I am not worried~
Old 08-01-17, 08:25 AM   #2
Dmurphy95

Re: Life of Mopani!

A bit of an update on Mopani for you all who are curious.

He ate like a champ for me last night, so I am quite happy! I was worried that he would be a bit picky, even despite being hungry as I expected him to be, because he was eating live before I took him in. BUT, instead he took the first pinky with violent force, then gently ate the second one. So definitely no worries there!

I don't have any appropriately-sized feed for him right now, as I am quite sure he could take hoppers or rat fuzzies easily, but right now I only have pinkies for him. They're ridiculously small but that's why I'm feeding him at least 2-3 at a time, though I would like it if he took four. Tried to feed him three, but he took the first two and completely ignored the third one so oh well! As long as he eats I'm happy!

I'll be waiting to see how well he sheds once he does, though I am expecting it to be fine since humidity in his cage is staying in perfect levels.

Here are some pics I got of him before, and after feeding!

Mopani Feed 4.jpg

Mopani Feed 5.jpg

And then after feeding him, when he apparently decided he wanted to roam around and try to peek out of the feeding hatch even though I was right there.

Mopani Feed 3.jpg

Mopani Feed 2.jpg

Mopani Feed 1.jpg

Still quite curious as ever, though I definitely think starting on some handling once he eats a few more times will do him well. Curious and confident enough to roam all over the place when night comes, but still not quite so confident that he doesn't turn into a terrified noodle ball if my hand comes too close to the glass where he is.

Love this little guy!
Old 08-01-17, 08:52 AM   #3
Scubadiver59

Things are looking good and sounds like Mopani is feeling right at home...which is as it should be! Congrats!
Old 08-01-17, 09:56 AM   #4
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Nice looking critter Murph. He can definitely handle larger prey. Pinkys won't do much for that guy.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 08-01-17, 10:56 AM   #5
Dmurphy95

@Scubadiver59
Hehe thanks! Yea I'm glad he's settling down so well! Even though he was super curious and explorative when we went to go get him I was still a little worried that as a classic ball Python he was gonna be terrified of everything, but it only took 2-3 days before he started exploring and moving around at night! I see him out roaming in his enclosure almost every night now.

@EL Ziggy
Yea definitely! I was really shocked at first when my Mom showed me the add of sorts on FB. I couldn't imagine such a pretty little guy and ALL his stuff going for as low as he did, but I am happy!

Yea they are barely even a 4th of his actual girth but they're all I've got right now. X'3 That's why I'm trying to give him at least 3 or 4 of them each feeding. I would have prefered he ate all three yesterday but two is ok. I really need to get him to bigger feed but I have an entire bag of at least 100 pinkies left. X'D So I'm a bit torn on what to actually do-- even when I do eventually get my Carpet Python I am quite sure they will still be too small even for them, since I don't plan on getting a teeny tiny little newly hatched baby.
Old 09-22-17, 08:23 PM   #6
Dmurphy95

Hello again all!

I updated Mopani's cage once more-- he has Coco Fiber bedding now and a full towel over part of the top to help keep the Humidity in-- it's working great as long as i keep on top of it!

I will get update pics up eventually of his digs in a few days-- have a Cousin sleeping over right now who is ok with her giant and tiny noodle neighbors as long as they stay in their cages.

Still having a stupid time with the temperatures though. And in here lies a question, or maybe just a confused quarry? (I butchered that word I am sorry. XD)

But considering the ideal temps for a Ball Python-- especially the hot side-- should be around the 90's. And I am barely getting it above the low 80's even WITH a UTH and a 150 watt heat bulb/light, should I switch the heat bulb out for a CHE? I'm ok with sacrificing an artificial light cycle if it means i get his temps right.

I have been contemplating it but I am just not sure what to do with the UTH-- if I should get rid of that too and just use a CHE. I've had a lot of trouble with his temps more so than his Humidity, and my main concern is that-- even just with the UTH at first it barely even got above 75 degrees (Farenheight) and I know as far as I've read, it's a universal note that Balls need hot sides in the 90s. (My ambient temps are weird here)

I have definitely heard that CHE's are quite effective at putting out a crap tone of heat, but so far I've ALWAYS needed two types of heating elements and I'm weary of just trying one. Right now it is quite literally a constant struggle trying to figure this out. X'D

ALSO, to Note:
The main reason I am honestly so confused/worried is because of how Mopani's acting. My worry is stemmed off the fact that for the past two weeks he has not eaten, and even though he is not horrifically skinny I'd really rather he eat every week so he bulks up a little, considering his older owner wasn't able to feed him as regularly as he should have been fed.

I am confused however, because despite the obvious lack of effective heating for him (I still can barely get it up above 82 for the hot side) he seems to spend the majority of his time in the cool end of his enclosure in his cool hide, and only goes into his hot hide briefly during the night.
His behavior is worrying me, but also confusing the heck out of me. XD

~ I am sure I asked about this somewhere before, but have not yet bought anything to solidify the changes because I am still building up the proper funds for it. (CHE's are not very cheap, and I'll be buying more than just that) but I am also making sure I pick the best choices. Money is coming in slowly and I want to make sure I can actually provide for these buggers. X'D

Any imput would be greatly appreciated! I need to figure this out so I can stop fretting and driving myself mad.
Old 09-24-17, 01:14 AM   #7
Albert Clark

His behavior is a sign that something isn't correct in the enclosure. A 150 watt heat bulb is very excessive heat and unnecessary for Python regius. Your uth needs to be regulated with a thermostat to the proper 90F - 92F range for his warm spot and side. Absolutely unplug the uth if it's not connected to a thermostat. My guess is it's too hot in the enclosure even though your getting readings by the thermometer in the 80F range. What type of thermometer are you working with? Very important! A thermostat is the most important piece of husbandry equipment you absolutely need along with a ir temp gun and functional probed thermometer. Thermostats regulate heat and thermometers only measure heat.
Old 09-24-17, 11:40 AM   #8
Dmurphy95

The thermometer I'm using is the Zilla Duel Thermometer and Hygrometer.

I didn't quite trust the stick-on Guages, though I have been meaning to get a Temp Gun and separate Thermometers for the hot and cool end to keep better track.

I was guessing it was something with the temps but it didn't make sense to me considering they're reading lower than needed. I definitely will be getting a Temp gun, that is for sure. Though from what you say it's likely i need a different/better thermometer.
Would you have any suggestions? And I will get a Thermostat for sure to make sure things go well for him.
I'll be ordering hopefully the Thermomstat and Temp Gun as soon as possible so suggestions would be splended. X'D

The main thing putting me off so much is the weird temps I'm getting. I'd honestly be happy to know it's just broken and reading the wrong temps. Downsizing sounds easier than upsizing-- which is what I've been doing so far. x_x
Old 09-24-17, 03:27 PM   #9
Albert Clark

The Accurite brand of probed thermo/ hygro is kind of the most widely used and acceptable. Kill the 150 watt heat bulb and switch to a 100 watt until you get your thermostat hooked up. A hiding ball python is usually a comfortable one. One that is roving the terrarium is either hungry or uncomfortable for the most part or both. That is a very nice pinstripe you got there though. Grats. Temp guns go for like $7.00 on Amazon. Hobbystat thermostats are about $50.00
Other thermostats can cost as low as $29.00 though. Happy shopping!
Old 09-24-17, 03:46 PM   #10
Dmurphy95

Thank you! I found a widely used Temp Gun that has good reviews so I'm ordering that literally today-- hoping it comes fast so I can get the temps and see what's actually going on. Also gonna check out the Hygro/Thermometer you mentioned! I really need a reliable one for Mopani and Qizil's cage. Qizil is doing fine right now thankfully, but I'd still rather have both with relatively the same things helping their setups to make it a bit easier on me. X'D
Thermostat might be a bit harder, but I'll look for that Hobbystat one! (Qizil has been doing fine but I'm gonna use a Thermostat for him too. Obviously.)

-- Haha yea he hides a lot and I was a bit afraid he would never come out of that dang hide at first. He roamed around, then decided he hated my hand with a passion (never struck, just freaked out and turned into a scared noodle ball) and since then he has only ever moved from one hide to the other.
My main concern-- as above mentioned-- is the fact that he has been refusing food for the past two weeks now.

-- Again thank you for the imput! I'll post updates once I get things situated-- hopefully I'll really be able to figure out this dang temperature problem. X'D

Last edited by Dmurphy95; 09-24-17 at 04:01 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 09-30-17, 02:28 PM   #11
Dmurphy95

I've got a small progression update for you all!

Nothing major-- just still managing to get the things I need. I did get a Temp Gun-- Etexcity Infrared Thermometer/Temp Gun to be exact. That has more accurate readings and told me that not only was the previous one WAY off by quite a few degres, but apparently the temps are STILL kinda low??

The temps I got for his hot side were actually 84 degrees-- close to 85. So that's a lot better but still technically not high enough...Which dumbfounds me a lot honestly.

I also have bigger feed for him that I will be trying on Monday-- I got some nice fuzzies for him to try this time. Hopefully he was just beign a picky turd and eats-- but I am still working on the thermostat and getting a duel thermo/hygro to stick in his cage for overall readings. Mostly for humidity.

Any suggestions and imput would be appreciated still!
Toodles for now, will still give updates when I continue with my stupidly slow progression. X'D
Old 10-31-17, 01:08 PM   #12
Dmurphy95

HEY UPDATE AGAIN!

Also adding pictures that I promised like months ago but forgot to put up. X'D

Here's his viv now: Coco Fiber bedding and a slight re-make of the decorations. It looks nice~

Mopani Redone! 1.jpg

Mopani Redone! 2.jpg

Mopani Redone! 3.jpg

Humidity is not a problem at all~ High temps of his cage are still a bit low but in what appears to be acceptable levels?? He's had a perfect shed, poops fine, eats fine on the fuzzies I now have for him (thankfully) and everything is pretty much in order.

I'm still building up to get thermostats for him and Qizil's cage, and am eventually going to get a kind of DIY permanent solution to Humidity for Mopani and the big eventual Carpet Cage respectfully involving black-coated boards, but so far my little noodle is doing just fine now!
Old 11-01-17, 08:45 AM   #13
Albert Clark

Amazing, and congrats for getting the remodeling done! Can't wait until you get the thermostat hooked up. The other way to help keep the humidity up is to place a damp towel over the screen top as well as misting.
Old 11-01-17, 10:17 AM   #14
Dmurphy95

Thanks Albert! Yea it's a slow process but I'm getting there! All have those dang thermostats hooked up eventually, likely sometime early next year as I definitely don't feel like I'll have good fortune for the rest of the later 2017 months.

I do use a damp towel over the the other half of the top, which is a tremendous help in keeping that Humidity in like suggested. Couldn't see it in the pics cause I hadn't set it up on there yet~
Old 11-01-17, 02:35 PM   #15
Albert Clark

Well, if it's going to take time to get the thermostats definitely unplug the uth's. This way you will avoid the snake coming into contact with the excessive heat of a uth and getting burned on the belly. Or even worse having a electrical fire.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread