border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Old 05-21-23, 06:04 PM   #1
wm460

Heating Options?

Which is more efficient a ceramic heat emitter or a heat lamp?
For Aussie Pythons.
wm460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 05-22-23, 01:41 PM   #2
chairman

Re: Heating Options?

Ceramic heat emitters are more efficient at creating heat than a heat lamp. This is because the emitter is designed to just create heat while the light is only emitting heat as a by-product of creating light.

You'll probably need to use a light with a ceramic heat emitter, so it is possible that your combination of light + heat emitter could be less efficient than just one heat bulb would be.

You can also look into radiant heat panels, they're a different kind of heat emitter that is quite efficient but are easier to mount inside a cage than a traditional ceramic heat emitter.

I've also found that my Aussie carpet pythons can get by with a heat cable wrapped on a perch as long as the room temperature stays around 22 degrees or more. The pythons move onto the heated portion of the perch for heat then move off when they don't need it. I keep my heat cable set to around 37 degrees.
chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-23, 05:29 PM   #3
wm460

Thank you for your reply, I’m wondering what wattage globe you would recommend?
Where I live, it is normally hot, 38°C plus most of the year, and just need warmth for the snakes for a month or so a year.
wm460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-23, 01:47 PM   #4
chairman

It'll depend on the type of bulb you use. A 20 watt xenon bulb (like for under cabinet lighting) puts out as much heat as a 45 watt incandescent bulb. A 60 watt CHE will put out more heat than either of two, though you can run those on dimmers to reduce output. And even a standard CFL bulb will raise a sealed/closed (no screen, just vents) enclosure's temperature by about 3 degrees C.

I prefer the xenon/halogen puck lights because they produce a lot of heat and are usually dimmable. A light (or CHE) on a dimmer can be set to provide the appropriate temperature, and you can plug it into an inexpensive on/off thermostat to make sure the heat cuts off before it gets too high.
chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-23, 04:57 PM   #5
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

[QUOTE=chairman;1048224]while the light is only emitting heat as a by-product of creating light.
/QUOTE]

this information is incorrect mate

light emitting bulbs come in various wattage,75 watt,100 watt,etc

they are designed to heat the tank,while giving light,the higher the watts,the more heat it produces

they only heat when giving light,so you would only use them with snakes who do not require heat at night,for example carpet pythons

i used to use natural sunlight 2.0 100 watt bulbs
Old 12-26-23, 08:10 AM   #6
ericmonroe

Thanks for this interesting solution!
ericmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-23, 03:25 PM   #7
ericmonroe

Develop a scalable and secure backend https://mlsdev.com/blog/outsourced-it-services-guide to handle user requests, manage driver availability, process payments, and store data securely. Use cloud-based solutions for improved scalability.
ericmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote