border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > Personal Websites!!!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-22, 01:22 PM   #1
Herp Husbandry

Re: My reptile care site

I appreciate your opinion, however, I disagree on most points.

There is no link to my FB page simply because I haven't had time to add it yet. I just started it recently and, at this point, it is basically where I post little successes I had with my leopard gecko breeding this year.

I chose chamaeleons, water dragons, iguanas and large monitors, and large pythons because they are widely available, but the drawbacks range from very specific care requirements that can be hard for a beginner to provide, and large, potentially dangerous animals that don't always have great tempers. I mentioned them in a beginners site because beginners don't know what they are getting into when they buy $30 iguana babies from the pet store. I have met several people who were gonna get them for their kids before I told them how big they get. I chose crocodilians because, although they aren't as widely available as the other animals listed, they are some of the worst pet reptiles a beginner could get.

My very brief descriptions were, as far as I am aware, correct and optimum husbandry, although I know they are not complete. They were not designed to be. Please point out exactly where it wasn't optimum so I can either explain or change it. The enclosure sizes are recommended sizes according to many keepers and breeders I have talked to.

The calcium info page was not my own, and I used it with permission from the author. I will talk to him and see what he thinks of it.

Recommended minimum tank size for a leopard gecko according to Ron Tremper is 10 g. According to many keepers and breeders, tanks larger than 40g will make it harder for the geckos to find their food. There is a lot of debate on this subject, but in my experience a 20g tank is large enough for a leopard gecko.

Although I think cage carpet harboring bacteria is a valid concern, I clean it once a week by soaking it in hot water/bleach solution and I have had no issues. When my gecko defecates, the liquid portion does not run through the carpet but the carpet absorbs it. Therefore there is no biofilm.

These heating devices are NOT stoneage relicts. I am aware that CHEs lower humidity levels, and that is part of why I use them. My leopard gecko enclosure was getting up to 55% humidity until I started using the CHE. Now it stays around 40%.

The UTH is a great tool for heating leopard geckos. Please explain why you seem to think it is outdated.

The blue light is on a dimmer and I use it simply to watch my leopard geckos eat at night. It is not a necessary part of her enclosure but I use it so there is a little bit of light, but not enough to bother her.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread