border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-14, 11:45 PM   #1
HT317

Exclamation Help?! Young Garter, Will NOT Eat Anything!

Hello,

I am new to the forum so please excuse me if I am in the wrong thread or have missed a rule, I am in need of advice for someone with some experience.

I am a registered pet care tech with tons of experience with turtles, however about three weeks ago I aquired my first snake. He (?) is a garter, approx 8 inches long. I have done TONS of research feeding but have had NO luck. I have the little guy in a 10 gal aquarium with a water dish, humid area ( damp hiding spot), plenty of dry area, hiding box, and climbing material. He seems to be happy in there hanging from his sticks during the day and not afraid to lay in the open but he just shows no interest in eating. I have tried frozen pinkies warmed in their bag in a cup of warm water and diced, whiting fish, tilapia, worms, pin crickets, all with no luck. I waited three days before trying to feed and since then I have tried every 2-3 days. I have introduced the food with tweezers, left him alone with it, he just isnt showing any interest. He did strike the pinkie while i had it with tweezers about four days ago but did not hold on and never showed anymore interest. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out if he is simply not ready to eat or if I am doing something wrong.

Can someone please offer some advice??

Thanks a ton!!

Holly
Login to remove ads
Old 11-12-14, 02:40 PM   #2
Obsidian_Dragon

Re: Help?! Young Garter, Will NOT Eat Anything!

Have you tried live feeder guppies yet? They may do the trick. (see this vid about feeding baby garters that don't want to eat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O36...og_usp_z21kPOQ)

What sort of worms did you try? Were they chopped up nightcrawlers? If that didn't work, is there any way you could get your hands on some earthworms?

You can try asking at/looking around thamnophis.com, for more garter specific info.
Old 11-12-14, 03:52 PM   #3
HT317

havent tried guppies yet, i will try that tonight and see how it goes. I have tried red worms and earth worms but i am thinking i may have left the pieces too big (1inch) so i will dice some smaller and offer them with the guppies. Thank you!
Old 11-12-14, 04:12 PM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Is this a wild caught garter snake? As suggested toss some live guppies into the water dish and see what happens.
Old 11-12-14, 05:01 PM   #5
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian_Dragon View Post
Have you tried live feeder guppies yet? They may do the trick. (see this vid about feeding baby garters that don't want to eat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O36...og_usp_z21kPOQ)

What sort of worms did you try? Were they chopped up nightcrawlers? If that didn't work, is there any way you could get your hands on some earthworms?

You can try asking at/looking around thamnophis.com, for more garter specific info.
I agree. Live fish was the only thing my checkered would eat when I first got him (wouldn't take nightcrawlers chopped or whole, fish filet, or mice). I wouldn't advise sticking to just live fish, though, due to the parasite load. Once it's been eating well, I'd start working towards either scenting mice/mouse parts or switching to fish filet with supplements.
Old 11-12-14, 09:19 PM   #6
Derek1

You might try putting cut up small pinkie/worm parts. Put in a small dixie cup on a known trail he travels, worked for my CalKing. Leave it overnight and see if it's gone in the morning. My Garter is traveling hard right now with the lights off looking for something to eat. Tomorrow is feed day.
Closed Thread

Tags
baby snake, feeding, garter