sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-20, 12:42 AM   #1
dreamy

Proper care and terrarium for a CRS Garter

Hello everyone!

I'm aspiring to own a California Red Side Garter Snake. I've never owned a snake before, so it will be a rather new experience. I do not plan to get the snake for another year or two, but wanted to determine everything that I would need to do first. This will also be my first exotic pet (I currently only have experience with dogs, cats, and Betta fish). I honestly have no idea where to begin other than here. So what I'm looking to know is:

- What type of terrarium (?) would everyone suggest and please feel free to leave links! I'm leaning more towards attempting to find a baby female, though I would also like to own more than one possibly as well, depending on the experience of owning the one.

- Any great links on the proper care of these snakes, or your comments regarding it.

- Size, I guess? What their diet would be, how to sex them, the possibility of future breeding, what to look for in a breeder/seller, etc.

- Any general snake care that could contribute to this future snakes life quality.

I have already taken the time to look and make sure that there are some vets near me that would be able to see the snake, in case something were to happen.

Thank you everyone in advanced that gives advice as well! I tend to over-research things, so I'm definitely not going to jump on the first thing I see and take it as 100% truth, I'll most likely dig around for more credible info.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-06-20, 06:47 AM   #2
ReptiWorldWide

Re: Proper care and terrarium for a CRS Garter

I would recommend going to snake discovery on youtube. It is a big channel and has some good info on the subject. Good luck!
Old 08-06-20, 06:06 PM   #3
dreamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptiWorldWide View Post
I would recommend going to snake discovery on youtube. It is a big channel and has some good info on the subject. Good luck!

I've actually been watching her channel for a few weeks and so, that'sthat's how I wound up here. xDD Her female Garter is simply beautiful and totally took me by surprise because I thought they all looked the same in my area. xD I didnt know there could be others till I found her channel.
Old 08-07-20, 07:55 PM   #4
dreamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptiWorldWide View Post
I have already actually, that's how my interest in the hobby finally surfaced. xD In fact, I'm watching their new video right now. However, I love to find multiple sources of the same information so that I know I'm doing things the right way, but I'll check and see if she has a video on it at all. <3
Old 08-08-20, 06:17 PM   #5
ReptiWorldWide

Haha! She has a believe two videos serounding the subject but I don't think either of them were "garter snake care videos" so you might have to do some digging. I think that is really smart to look at multiple sources so that you don't just trust a possibly biased source. Unfortunately I don't know much about garters so I can't really help you. I hope someone else on this forum can, good luck!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
garter, terrarium