Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-14, 12:44 PM   #16
desipooh.12

Re: pet octopuses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrogman View Post
Very very interesting topic and something I have not looked into or even read about, great stuff !
I've always thought they were fascinating!
but I watched that show called "Tanked"
idk if you guys have watched it or heard of it
but they build aquariums for ppl but on the high end Tanks, anways...
the owner likes octopuses & they bought him one for his birthday & they made a tank in his office so that he can look at em all day long,
it was a mimicking octopus..
so I looked them up & became very interested in them..
Old 01-05-14, 01:06 PM   #17
desipooh.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
Had one for a couple months and the fish in the tank acrostic the room started to disappear. I would not believe it if I didn't see it first hand but it would lift climb out cross the room and want then return to its tank at night. I didn't have sealed tanks and I had no idea they would do such things he just came into the pet shop I worked at and I took it home to take care of a tank of damsels. When the damsels where gone he started to travel.
now that is crazy lol
how long did its life span last with you?
Old 01-05-14, 09:32 PM   #18
BryanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by desipooh.12 View Post
now that is crazy lol
how long did its life span last with you?
3 days after fish started missing he went back to the store. That's how long it took to catch him
Old 01-07-14, 05:48 PM   #19
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

I'm curious about what they will tolerate. For some reason I imagine them being hardy. I have a 120 gal acrylic i've wanted to start a temperate marine tank with, but there's no way i'm buying a chiller and that hardware. I almost want to catch one next time i'm out there and see if it lived in water in the 60's. 10-15 degrees warmer than where I would catch them from, why not give it a shot?
Old 01-07-14, 06:13 PM   #20
swolek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
I'm curious about what they will tolerate. For some reason I imagine them being hardy. I have a 120 gal acrylic i've wanted to start a temperate marine tank with, but there's no way i'm buying a chiller and that hardware. I almost want to catch one next time i'm out there and see if it lived in water in the 60's. 10-15 degrees warmer than where I would catch them from, why not give it a shot?
Can't say I agree...the worst that happens is the animal dies and that's kind of awful to me.

The thing with octopuses is that if they're stressed they might ink and that's pretty much a disaster. I would stick to captive bred specimens and make sure you have everything prepared. The animal deserves at least that, you know?
Other: 1.0 Red-cheeked mud turtle, 0.1 Crested gecko
Login to remove ads
Old 01-07-14, 06:28 PM   #21
Hannibalcanibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolek View Post
Can't say I agree...the worst that happens is the animal dies and that's kind of awful to me.

The thing with octopuses is that if they're stressed they might ink and that's pretty much a disaster. I would stick to captive bred specimens and make sure you have everything prepared. The animal deserves at least that, you know?
I'm not even sure anyone has bred octopi.... Most are wild caught, and the ones i've seen have been all from the caribbean.

Also, from what i understand, they are pretty much the hardest marine animal to keep alive, assuming that marine animals weren't hard enough to keep alive.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm not sure octopi are really not a good thing to have in an novice aquarium.
Old 01-07-14, 06:50 PM   #22
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:

And stabbing it in the water is better?
Old 01-07-14, 08:04 PM   #23
swolek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibalcanibal View Post
I'm not even sure anyone has bred octopi.... Most are wild caught, and the ones i've seen have been all from the caribbean.

Also, from what i understand, they are pretty much the hardest marine animal to keep alive, assuming that marine animals weren't hard enough to keep alive.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm not sure octopi are really not a good thing to have in an novice aquarium.
People do breed them. But yes, not for a novice.

Quote:
And stabbing it in the water is better?
Why not just leave them alone?

On a side note, consider cuttlefish. Much, much easier to care for and acquire .
Old 01-07-14, 10:08 PM   #24
Mikoh4792

Quote:

I'd say it's alright. After all, the exotic pets we have today all come from wild specimens that we had to experiment with in order to find out how to keep them alive. Many have died before we've figured out the correct conditions to provide for them.

Same with octopi. If people like RandyRoads experiment with keeping octopi many will probably die but in the end we can learn how to keep them.
Old 01-07-14, 10:21 PM   #25
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Because they are a game animal we frequently catch and kill for food anyway....

At 2:22 you can see my friend briefly fighting one before he bit it's eye and killed it.

Last edited by RandyRhoads; 01-07-14 at 10:31 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 01-07-14, 10:38 PM   #26
swolek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
I'd say it's alright. After all, the exotic pets we have today all come from wild specimens that we had to experiment with in order to find out how to keep them alive. Many have died before we've figured out the correct conditions to provide for them.

Same with octopi. If people like RandyRoads experiment with keeping octopi many will probably die but in the end we can learn how to keep them.
But we don't need to "learn" how to keep them, we know already. I was extremely active in the marine aquarium community so I've met a ton of captive octopuses. Bimacs, the most commonly kept species, are also already captive bred...they aren't often removed from the wild these days.

There is no need to "experiment" with wild-caught animals and sub-par living conditions.

Quote:
Because they are a game animal we frequently catch and kill for food anyway....

At 2:22 you can see my friend briefly fighting one before he bit it's eye and killed it.

Not sure about "we", I don't eat 'em. I just don't see the point in experimenting with wild-caught animals that will just die. Why not go purchase a captive bred octopus? Or keep something like a cuttlefish...just as interesting and low-maintenance as far as marine animals go .

To me, this is like getting a wild-caught ball python and keeping it in a small glass tank with no humidity.

But hey, just my opinion. I'm very much involved in marine conservation so I'm biased . I do hope you reconsider and look into captive-bred bimacs or one of the tropical species that can thrive at around room temperature...pygmy octopuses come to mind. They're rather hardy temperature-wise and readily available.
Old 01-07-14, 10:43 PM   #27
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

We, as in the diving community, people here. Not you....

The point was does anyone know if it would die. Some things are more hardy and can tolerate temperature change. Some can't handle one degree. If there is no information on it I may give it a try. If it dies, well now I have yummy Tako, like I originally took it for. If it lives, now we know....

Some people take home catches just to look at for a few days, keep it fresh for a while until it dies.....

The ball python was a horrible example, as there is plenty of info on that.
Old 01-07-14, 10:48 PM   #28
swolek

Quote:
We, as in the diving community, people here. Not you....

The point was does anyone know if it would die. Some things are more hardy and can tolerate temperature change. Some can't handle one degree. If there is no information on it I may give it a try. If it dies, well now I have yummy Tako, like I originally took it for. If it lives, now we know....

Some people take home catches just to look at for a few days, keep it fresh for a while until it dies.....

The ball python was a horrible example, as there is plenty of info on that.
What species were you planning to capture?

edit: Assuming it's a "common octopus", aka bimac, temperature drastically affects lifespan according to the literature out there. Any degree over their accepted cooler range decreases lifespan. This can be a problem because their lifespans are already super short. I would guess the same would be true for other, similar species.

Last edited by swolek; 01-07-14 at 10:57 PM..
Old 01-07-14, 10:59 PM   #29
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

If you read I said a giant pacific aka Enteroctopus dofleini

A search showed some info. Preferred temp under 60. But I wonder if it could tolerate 65.
Old 01-07-14, 11:14 PM   #30
swolek

Quote:
If you read I said a giant pacific aka Enteroctopus dofleini

A search showed some info. Preferred temp under 60. But I wonder if it could tolerate 65.
Ah, yeah, not sure why I thought you meant common.

Their optimal temperature, according to research, is 50 F and below...so I'd think 65 would be quite detrimental.

edit: This is based on scientific journals, by the way. People have kept them around 55-60 but even that is considered a bit warm for the species.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread