sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-17, 08:10 AM   #1
PeachyKeen

Send a message via Skype™ to PeachyKeen
Heating Question

So, I had gotten a UTH for my "soon-to-be" Boa's enclosure. I then upgraded my Ball Python to a 32QT and it fits that much better. Now, knowing I have to get a bigger one, I have to wait till next Saturday to receive it in the mail. My Boa is possibly being shipped Monday if the weather is nice to both me and the breeder. I can keep my room consistently in between 78F and 83F if needed be. Would this be alright on the Boa's part for at the most a week?

I do have a smaller UTH that isn't being used due to Sid's upgrade but I don't think it would do much since it covers very little of the huge tub for the Boa. TIA.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-04-17, 08:15 AM   #2
aaron_cg

Re: Heating Question

Yes and no. Your Boa will survive, however will most likely be a bit pissy with you since he wont have a thermal gradient.

Recommendation, obviously get a heat source ASAP.

No hard feelings to you, but that is why I keep a few extra's laying around along with a few temp probes and lamp dimmers. Mainly encase one of my heat sources fail me, but also in case of unexpected pickups.
Old 01-04-17, 04:43 PM   #3
PeachyKeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_cg View Post
Yes and no. Your Boa will survive, however will most likely be a bit pissy with you since he wont have a thermal gradient.

Recommendation, obviously get a heat source ASAP.

No hard feelings to you, but that is why I keep a few extra's laying around along with a few temp probes and lamp dimmers. Mainly encase one of my heat sources fail me, but also in case of unexpected pickups.
I wish I had a back up, but yes, I lacked preparation. This being my second snake, I don't really have extra "past" tools lying around. My ball python needed a more suitable enclosure and the UTH he originally had on his 16QT would not have been sufficient and his needs currently come first in this situation.
The Boa is currently being kept in a rack system. I do not know what the breeder is using for heat and such but I didn't see any thing on the bottom of the tub. I have not asked specifics but I do see that all his Boas are in top notch shape, the racks are clean, sheds are nice, and my Boa is certainly eating.
Old 01-04-17, 05:48 PM   #4
aaron_cg

Typically racks have heat tape running across the bottom of each shelf, in the back.

In all honestly, best thing for the animal if it is possible is have the breeder keep it for an extra week until you can get everything for it. If it's not possible, just bump your ambient up to the low 80's and the Boa will be fine for the short time.
Old 01-04-17, 06:20 PM   #5
PeachyKeen

I knew that the racks were being heated, just not by a UTH.
Thank you for your replies. I just got the shipping number and it'll be here a day after the Boa might arrive. I've been testing how hot I can get the ambient using foil and a space heater. It's now at a steady 84.5F.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-04-17, 06:46 PM   #6
bigsnakegirl785

Why is the breeder shipping in the middle of winter? Do you and the breeder live in warm climates or something?

Without a hot spot I'd keep the room 85-86F or so. That way it's still kept plenty warm to digest if it eats before the heat comes in. When you have UTH set up, the room temp can fall to about 80F. I personally don't allow my boas' ambients to go any lower than 80F, as temps in the mid to low 70's can cause an RI, and I feel a UTH is not a strong enough heating element to allow for any colder ambients than 80F.
Old 01-04-17, 06:54 PM   #7
PeachyKeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Why is the breeder shipping in the middle of winter? Do you and the breeder live in warm climates or something?

Without a hot spot I'd keep the room 85-86F or so. That way it's still kept plenty warm to digest if it eats before the heat comes in. When you have UTH set up, the room temp can fall to about 80F. I personally don't allow my boas' ambients to go any lower than 80F, as temps in the mid to low 70's can cause an RI, and I feel a UTH is not a strong enough heating element to allow for any colder ambients than 80F.
We do not live in warm climate areas. We've waited out the huge December snow extravaganza and the temps have risen to an "okay" point.
I try to keep my room, and working on the quarantine room, no lower than 80F. So far it has been successful. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-04-17, 07:29 PM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyKeen View Post
We do not live in warm climate areas. We've waited out the huge December snow extravaganza and the temps have risen to an "okay" point.
I try to keep my room, and working on the quarantine room, no lower than 80F. So far it has been successful. Thanks for your input.
If that's the case I honestly feel the breeder is being irresponsible shipping right now. I'm not sure how it is where you live, but where I live (NC) the weather is highly unpredictable. It can be 60F one day and then 18F another, plus random chances of snow. The forecast changes daily, what holds true of a day next week today could vastly change tomorrow.

Ultimately, it's up to you and the breeder if you want to risk shipping, but if I was the breeder I would wait until March or April at the earliest to ship.
Old 01-04-17, 07:54 PM   #9
PeachyKeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
If that's the case I honestly feel the breeder is being irresponsible shipping right now. I'm not sure how it is where you live, but where I live (NC) the weather is highly unpredictable. It can be 60F one day and then 18F another, plus random chances of snow. The forecast changes daily, what holds true of a day next week today could vastly change tomorrow.

Ultimately, it's up to you and the breeder if you want to risk shipping, but if I was the breeder I would wait until March or April at the earliest to ship.
That's why it's not a "for sure" thing. We ultimately have to wait till Sunday/Monday to even think about taking the chance. We've been very cautious with the weather and also have been communicating back and forth. The Boa is our main concern and if weather doesn't follow suit, I don't mind waiting.
Old 01-04-17, 08:03 PM   #10
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyKeen View Post
That's why it's not a "for sure" thing. We ultimately have to wait till Sunday/Monday to even think about taking the chance. We've been very cautious with the weather and also have been communicating back and forth. The Boa is our main concern and if weather doesn't follow suit, I don't mind waiting.
Ah. I thought the shipping number was for the boa - sorry! haha Waiting for spring would definitely be a good idea, not sure I'd risk a shipment in dead of winter even if the weather broke. Glad to hear you guys are being careful in the meantime.
Old 01-07-17, 10:26 AM   #11
pet_snake_78

When I kept boas, I gave them a hotspot via heat tape of 90-95. Although they didn't use it that often, they did use it. The ones I kept seemed to prefer to be on the cold side 78-80F but because they did use the heat tape a couple of times a week, I wouldn't feel right not offering one. Those were island boas, I would imagine mainland species would use the heat source even more. I also agree with others that you have to keep a close eye on temps on you might see RI's but at the same time you don't want to accidentally fry them. I would recommend using 2 tstats on the space heater to make sure it can't stick on the ON position. I use a ranco as the primary with a hydrofarm as the backup.
Old 01-07-17, 09:54 PM   #12
PeachyKeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet_snake_78 View Post
When I kept boas, I gave them a hotspot via heat tape of 90-95. Although they didn't use it that often, they did use it. The ones I kept seemed to prefer to be on the cold side 78-80F but because they did use the heat tape a couple of times a week, I wouldn't feel right not offering one. Those were island boas, I would imagine mainland species would use the heat source even more. I also agree with others that you have to keep a close eye on temps on you might see RI's but at the same time you don't want to accidentally fry them. I would recommend using 2 tstats on the space heater to make sure it can't stick on the ON position. I use a ranco as the primary with a hydrofarm as the backup.
I'm home most the time, so I wouldn't be leaving the space heater on 24/7. My room is in the back and is well insulated, so it retains the most heat. I would have constantly been checking on the heat with a temp gun and a thermometer/probe. Without the space heater my room is about 76F. With the space heater it staggers between 82F and 85F and if left on, will reach to 97F.
I'm glad I got answers, as I do want to ensure whats best, but I'm not in control of everything. My UTH actually came super early (Arrived today) and I just wanted to have alternates if it hadn't. I do have two thermostats. One is a Herpstat 2 and the other is JumpStart just for quarantine and then I would put both on the Herpstat 2.
How fast does an RI take place in a snake (Not sure how to word that better)?
Old 01-26-17, 05:15 PM   #13
reeny08

I have 2 carpet problems and I'm having trouble with the correct temps. On one end is the basking lamp and the other end the cooling area.

I'm getting a sparky in to do the wiring as I bought the enclosures second hand and bulbs keep blowing.

I would like to use a digital thermometer dual zone. What would you all recommend I use? I don't want to waste my money on something that will break down in a month.

Also, what would you recommend for a backup heating system?

The health of my girls is of the upmost importance to me.
Closed Thread