border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-18, 11:01 PM   #1
SnakeFever

Quail or Bird Diet?

Currently have a 4 year old Jungle Carpet Python that was fed Live Guinea Pigs the last 2 years, I've had the snake for about a year now and have tried every trick in the book to get it to try to eat rats but nothing is working, live, F/T, prekilled, nothing at all!

Finally decided to try a f/t Quail 2 weeks ago and she ate it immediately, no hesitation what so ever. Tried again today and same result.

Now I have a breeder who can continue to provide Quail for me and at a better price than a rat. Can she just survive on Quail alone? I've read online many people have said yes, but wondering if anyone has had personal experience in this regards. Also, I have provided a picture of the size of Quail, if I go this route, how many do you think I should be feeding her and how often?

Side question, could it be another bird? Like a pigeon or duck, as I have a breeder for that as well. I plan on trying to do rabbit every 3rd feeding, as I get those for relatively cheap and I heard they are extremely good for snakes in terms of nutrients.

Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 05-12-18, 09:20 AM   #2
SnakeFever

Re: Quail or Bird Diet?

Old 05-12-18, 09:57 AM   #3
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I've only fed my carpets chicks as a supplement with rats being the staple of their diets. I'd keep trying to offer mice and rats along with your avian prey and hope your carpet transitions. I believe in a little bit of tough love when it comes to picky eaters. If you wait them out long enough they'll usually eat eventually. If your animal is healthy and eats birds consistently you could stick with that I guess. I think trying rabbits is a good idea too. Do you have pics of your carpet?
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 05-12-18, 01:00 PM   #4
toddnbecka

A couple of my adult Dominican mountain boas prefer quail (or chickens, doesn't seem to matter, suitable size is important though). Also, one of the 2016 babies refused to switch from anoles to rat pinks, that one eats day-old quail chicks now. You can always try scenting with quail or even cutting off a wing and feeding that along with the rodent.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 05-12-18, 03:14 PM   #5
SnakeFever

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah I'm going to continue to try but been extremely busy with moving to a new city, new job and kinda want to take a break from stressing over her not eating rats so I figured I'd ask to see if anyone is just on a bird diet.

Unfortunately can no longer post any URLs. But she's about 6.5 feet in length, pretty thick, definitely not skinny. Very active, poops normally, sheds great, overall I'd say very healthy snake.

Now the Quail I believe would be the size of a medium rat, do you think I should feed her 2 to make sure she's getting enough nutrition and then just push feeding her every 20 days or should be fine with 1 every 10-14 days. It does leave a lump in her body.

Thanks
Login to remove ads
Old 05-12-18, 04:00 PM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

From the sound of things she's a pretty big girl and if the quail are the size of a medium rat I'd think 1 every 10 days or 2 every 14 days would be a good feeding schedule.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 05-12-18, 04:17 PM   #7
SnakeFever

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
From the sound of things she's a pretty big girl and if the quail are the size of a medium rat I'd think 1 every 10 days or 2 every 14 days would be a good feeding schedule.
Yeah, I am not worried about her weight at all.
How often are you feeding your Carpet Pythons, do they take larger than a medium rat, I feel like a full grown Carpet can take a Large Rat?

Thanks for the help EL Ziggy
Old 05-12-18, 07:15 PM   #8
SerpentineDream

Should you decide to add chicks to your snake's diet, Big Cheese Rodent Factory sells day-old chicks in addition to mice and rats. I have always been impressed by the quality of their feeders.

After you make 5 posts you should be able to post photos IIRC.

ETA: I missed that you're in Canada. Not sure how practical it would be to ship from the US.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 05-12-18, 09:11 PM   #9
Jim Smith

Have you tried scenting the rats with quail? Perhaps that would trick hi long enough to get used to eating the rats. Just a thought...
Old 05-13-18, 03:09 PM   #10
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeFever View Post
Yeah, I am not worried about her weight at all.
How often are you feeding your Carpet Pythons, do they take larger than a medium rat, I feel like a full grown Carpet can take a Large Rat?

Thanks for the help EL Ziggy
I feed my carpets every 10-17 days depending on the size of their meal. Most of mine get medium or large rats. Sometimes they'll even get jumbos. They easily take these sizes. I don't have to feed them anything larger but I do want to offer them small rabbits at some point.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-28-18, 03:32 PM   #11
kazz

My carpet dont eat rats at all
Old 05-30-18, 08:02 PM   #12
pet_snake_78

I've been feeding my neotropical bird snakes on mostly chickens for many months now. Personally, I've not noticed anything negative about it. I can't see that they are doing any better or worse than on rodents other than they never refuse a chick and the rodents seems like they were pickier about when they wanted to eat. I try to feed a little variety of both sizes and food types to make sure my snakes get everything they need.

How to Save Money on Reptile Supplies
Old 06-01-18, 11:16 AM   #13
psychocircus

Couple more weeks with quail, then try to scent a rat with quail, even put a couple feathers in it's mouth.
Closed Thread

Tags
asf, carpet python, quail