border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-13, 05:43 AM   #1
BrownSugar92

Stubborn Feeder

Sooo . . . My soon to be 8 month old ball python has decided to be a royal pain and take herself off of feed. I say that because I have wasted three rats from trying to offer her food on a weekly basis and she's declined each one. I've changed nothing to the way I feed her, she just doesn't want to eat. Which is alright I guess since she's surely not underfed (2.5 ft and 620 grams) and she is still very active and enjoys coming out to explore. How long though should she go without eating before I do worry? It's going on 4 weeks since her last meal (other than water)
I just find it so odd that she quit cold turkey so to say when she WAS the greediest thing in the house.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-12-13, 06:39 AM   #2
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87
Re: Stubborn Feeder

As long as she isn't losing weight I wouldn't worry.

In this situation, I would stop handling and wait 2 weeks before offering again. This is of course provided that the husbandry is correct. Would also double check that
Old 04-12-13, 07:34 AM   #3
bcoop1234

I had a similar issue with a juvenile mexican black kingsnake... She was eating just fine and then just decided to stop. I tried every week for at least 4 months and then all of a sudden she started to eat again... No change in anything either. I didn't handle her until she ate again and then i waited 3 feedings to make sure she would keep eating.
Old 04-12-13, 09:52 AM   #4
bcr229

Double-check to make sure her humidity levels are correct and her hot/cool sides are still the correct temperatures, it's unlikely but a heat pad or thermostat could have failed.

Otherwise, as long as she's drinking and maintaining weight I wouldn't worry, "picky" and "ball python" seem to be synonymous. I have one five year old male who causes me no end of worry, he's just not a big eater and has the size (or lack of) to prove it.
Old 04-12-13, 11:04 AM   #5
Mark Taylor

Send a message via Skype™ to Mark Taylor

I would not worry just double check the temps and humidity and continue to offer her food as normal, I know it's a waste of rats but its better that it is available. Not sure how you offer the food for your ball but 2 of my snakes I just put the rat (F/T) in and leave it 12 hours if it's still there take it out and throw it away.

Also less handling than usual.
Old 04-12-13, 01:23 PM   #6
BrownSugar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Taylor View Post
I would not worry just double check the temps and humidity and continue to offer her food as normal, I know it's a waste of rats but its better that it is available. Not sure how you offer the food for your ball but 2 of my snakes I just put the rat (F/T) in and leave it 12 hours if it's still there take it out and throw it away.

Also less handling than usual.
she will only take to live right now. Right when I was going to buy the frozen thawed she decided she wanted to be fickle. I didn't try anything dramatic yet, like changing to gerbils or splitting the rats head open because she's still fat, but active. lol
Old 04-12-13, 01:29 PM   #7
BrownSugar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug87 View Post
As long as she isn't losing weight I wouldn't worry.

In this situation, I would stop handling and wait 2 weeks before offering again. This is of course provided that the husbandry is correct. Would also double check that
She likes to come out to climb the fake tree in the house about every 3 or 4 days. Should I keep her from coming out of her cage period (for exercise) or limit it to just not handling her? And her humidity and temps are good, I check them nightly when I come home from work.
Old 04-12-13, 01:52 PM   #8
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownSugar92 View Post
She likes to come out to climb the fake tree in the house about every 3 or 4 days. Should I keep her from coming out of her cage period (for exercise) or limit it to just not handling her? And her humidity and temps are good, I check them nightly when I come home from work.
Leave her alone in the ideal conditions until she has fed a couple of times.
Old 04-12-13, 01:53 PM   #9
Hurrok

It's probably a wise decision to leave her alone for 2 weeks like Lady_Bug said just to at least let her settle in and rule out whether or not she is too stressed from handling.

If she isn't losing weight there is no worry, it is very common for a ball python to start going off of feed for months once they start to mature. My female BP went 6 months without feed and then randomly started up again with no problems. Just keep us updated!
1.0 Spider BP // 1.1 Pewter BP // 0.1 Pastel BP // 1.0 Lesser BP //0.1 Mojave BP // 1.0 Mojave Champagne BP // 1.0 Het Pied BP // 0.1 Phantom BP // 0.1 Western Hognose // 1.0 Cinny Sugar BP // 0.1 'Normal' BP // 0.1 Corn // 0.1 G. Rosea
Old 04-12-13, 02:14 PM   #10
BrownSugar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrok View Post
It's probably a wise decision to leave her alone for 2 weeks like Lady_Bug said just to at least let her settle in and rule out whether or not she is too stressed from handling.

If she isn't losing weight there is no worry, it is very common for a ball python to start going off of feed for months once they start to mature. My female BP went 6 months without feed and then randomly started up again with no problems. Just keep us updated!
Yeah it's probably for the best and I have no problem leaving her alone. I take nursing classes in the morning and work at night so she is -most of the time- by herself. Which is what puzzled me the most as to why she stopped eating because stress just seemed so unlikely and it's not like she's new to the house either.
My door remains locked when I leave too, so I know no one is playing with her.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-12-13, 07:05 PM   #11
Ivanator

Quote:
Yeah it's probably for the best and I have no problem leaving her alone. I take nursing classes in the morning and work at night so she is -most of the time- by herself. Which is what puzzled me the most as to why she stopped eating because stress just seemed so unlikely and it's not like she's new to the house either.
My door remains locked when I leave too, so I know no one is playing with her.
Balls are annoying and just stop for some reason. I just had the same problem with mine and he finally fed again last week after not eating for almost 3 months.
1.0 '08 sunfire retic, 0.1 '12 lavender albino tiger retic, 1.0 '12 platinum retic, 0.1 '14 goldenchild het albino retic, 1.0 '16 anthrax retic, 0.1 '16 graniteback het anthrax retic, 0.1 '16 normal HOGS retic, 1.1 amel atrox, 0.0.1 Nile monitor, 0.0.1 blue tailed monitor, 0.0.1 Mexican beaded lizard
Old 04-13-13, 12:09 AM   #12
BrownSugar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanator View Post
Balls are annoying and just stop for some reason. I just had the same problem with mine and he finally fed again last week after not eating for almost 3 months.
Did you isolate him and leave him by his lonesome?
Old 04-13-13, 03:19 AM   #13
Mark Taylor

Send a message via Skype™ to Mark Taylor

Quote:
she will only take to live right now. Right when I was going to buy the frozen thawed she decided she wanted to be fickle. I didn't try anything dramatic yet, like changing to gerbils or splitting the rats head open because she's still fat, but active. lol
So how have you wasted 3 rats if you feed live or have I missed something?
Old 04-13-13, 07:21 AM   #14
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Quote:
Did you isolate him and leave him by his lonesome?
Isnt he living on his own now? Is he sharing an enclosure?
Old 04-13-13, 10:08 AM   #15
BrownSugar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Taylor View Post
So how have you wasted 3 rats if you feed live or have I missed something?
I've wasted my money on three rats that she hasn't wanted
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, feeding, question