sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-18, 02:52 PM   #1
charlotte.napz

Exclamation Research Question

Hey Yall,
So I am really trying to get a Ball Python so I have been doing weeks of research but this is the one question I can't seem to find an answer to! How often should I clean a BP's cage in GENERAL! I just wanna have an estimate so when my parents ask I don't seem like I don't know anything. Thank you so much!
Login to remove ads
Old 10-26-18, 03:34 PM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: Research Question

Welcome to the forum!!

Good work doing research before bringing a snake home!!!
The next piece of advice I can give you is to have your enclosure and equipment all set up and running before bringing your snake home.
Make sure your temps and humidity are dialed in and on point, your thermostat is functioning properly and all is ready before bringing your snake home.

To answer your specific question though, you're going to get carrying answers. But, I spot clean my enclosures as needed and do a full, thorough cleaning every 3 months or so.
Old 10-26-18, 07:03 PM   #3
chairman

The above-mentioned response is probably for a snake tank/enclosure that has a couple inches of substrate like eco earth or mulch.

For an enclosure with either no substrate or butcher paper, you're looking at cleaning 2-3x a week. They'll typically release urates 1-2x a week and feces once a week.

Ball pythons seem to be sensitive to dirty cages (they tend to refuse to eat when things aren't clean) so I keep mine in tubs with no substrate. I clean my tubs with a cleaner called F10SC every time I clean.
Old 10-27-18, 06:36 PM   #4
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Like Craig I spot clean as needed and do a complete bedding change about every 3 months. I use Reptile Prime bedding.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 10-27-18, 10:18 PM   #5
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman View Post
The above-mentioned response is probably for a snake tank/enclosure that has a couple inches of substrate like eco earth or mulch.

For an enclosure with either no substrate or butcher paper, you're looking at cleaning 2-3x a week. They'll typically release urates 1-2x a week and feces once a week.

Ball pythons seem to be sensitive to dirty cages (they tend to refuse to eat when things aren't clean) so I keep mine in tubs with no substrate. I clean my tubs with a cleaner called F10SC every time I clean.

Good point. I do use a mix of Eco Earth and Repti-bark. I've used it for years and love it. It holds humidity well, retains odor and looks naturalistic.

I'm not a fan of paper towels.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
snake