Re: Brb! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr226 View Post
Just curious, why was he banned?
Abusive comments
Old 03-20-13, 01:54 PM   #17
Snakesitter

Jarich, while I recognize planted enclosures can work, I feel that it takes an experienced keeper with strong due diligence to reach that point...and that new keepers who may not have that experience or time may try it and end up with a disaster. The high humiidty this species requires only make it more complex. Finally, the opening quanrantine should always be done in an enclosure that can be decontaminated if needed -- meaning nothing that cannot be bleached if needed -- and not many newer keepers have spare vivs laying around.
Website, Facebook
Old 03-21-13, 11:05 AM   #18
SnakeGirl94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarich View Post
Ideally a planted tank and a misting system like Mistking or Rainmaker is best. The reptifoggers and humidifiers are ok, but they breakdown quite easily and are a pain in the butt to have to refill all the time.

Cliff, Im surprised you would say that about planted enclosures. I know that you are a breeder so I suppose that with so many enclosures it might be different, but I have never had any difficulty with my planted/soil substrate enclosures. Live plants and a soil substrate both look great and are the best option for keeping the air and enclosure clean. Bioactive enclosures are much easier to take care of in my experience. Why would you ever need to sterilize live plants? Also, there are many plants that only require low light and so thrive well in a normally lighted enclosure, and its not difficult to provide brighter lights for those that need it with the LEDs available now.

Thank you, im still trying to decide what to do but i do know a few plants that i am considering if i do a planted tank. i was in a 4-H horticulture program when i was younger so with what i learned from that i believe i'd be able to take care of a planted enclosure without a problem, and spot lighting is always an option for plants that need more than others.
Old 03-21-13, 12:03 PM   #19
ReptiWoman

I have a brb and he is just about 2 years old. I feel that simple is better and mine has been thriving. I have him in a large plastic tub (dont remember the dimentions right now) it has a few holes on the sides for air. I use lots of newspaper for substrate. He has a large plastic water dish where he likes to bathe and poop in lol and a hide box. Humidity usually sits at 80-85% sometimes higher if he is in shed. Temp is kept at 80-82 in his hot spot and about 70-72 ambiant.

When I first got him I went crazy with his enclosure too lol
0.3 ball pythons(normal, het g stripe, black pastel) 1.1 boas(het albino, ultra golden albino) 0.1 carpet python(diamond x jungle) 1.0 sumatran python 1.0 brb 1.0 corn(blizzard) 1.0 bearded dragon 0.0.1 northern blue tongue skink 1.1 crested geckos 1.0 vailed chameleon 0.1 russian tortoise
Closed Thread

Tags
boa care, brazilian rainbow boa, brb