border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-15, 08:29 AM   #1
sophiedufort

Dumeril's boa losing scales, no mites.

I had this 2yo Dumeril's boa for a few weeks. She is very affectionate, and loves spending time wrapped around my husband's neck. What worries me is that I can see many scales on his neck, chest and back afterwards. She is perfectly healthy, doesn't have any mites, is strong and active, eats well.
I tried to find info in forums, but all I could find was about loss of scales due to mites, which is not the case here. There are no visibly missing scales on her, no bald patches, yet I can see at least a hundred scales stuck to my husband's skin.
The scales that our boa is losing are both transparent and dark in color.
Please help. Thank you in anticipation.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-21-15, 01:15 PM   #2
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Re: Dumeril's boa losing scales, no mites.

Old 04-21-15, 02:36 PM   #3
KyleKennedy

She is possibly dehydrated. Make sure she has clean water and mist the enclosure with warm clean water daily to up the humidity.
Old 04-21-15, 02:38 PM   #4
KyleKennedy

Snakes are not affectionate by nature. Just because she is docile doesn't mean she wants to constantly be held. Leave her alone for weeks and bump up the humidity.
Old 04-21-15, 02:56 PM   #5
FWK

I agree with Kyle. Sounds like a very dry, stuck shed that is slowly flaking off. Some pictures of the snake, its enclosure and the scales would help us determine what is going on and how to fix it. You say you've only had the snake a few weeks, was it a package deal with its enclosure or did you buy the enclosure separate? You may need five total posts before the forum will let you post pictures.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-21-15, 03:31 PM   #6
reptiledude987

I had a similar thing happen with the first shed on my hypo tangerine hondo when I brought her home from the store. She actually did loose scales entirely. She shed in all one piece so I didnt think it was a humidity issue but it is possible. From what your describing I'd agree with the previous posts that its retained shed due to humidity. Mine has since shed 4 or 5 times and the scales are regenerating.
Old 04-22-15, 05:40 AM   #7
sophiedufort

Thank you everyone for your replies. I can't post pictures as yet, but here are more details:
Enclosure is 50 gallons, with a very large water bowl, three hides, a thick tree branch and fake leaves. The substrate is astro turf. No heating at the moment, as we live in Orlando, Florida, and the room is constantly in the low to mid 80s. There's a UVB light above the enclosure, I turn it on during the day.
Always had issues with humidity, I am now using a fogger to bump it up as often as I can.
The snake fully shed the day after I got her, it was a great shed, so it's been a little over to weeks since she shed. She does look dry though, so I'll keep using the fogger.
Once again, thank you all.
Old 04-22-15, 01:14 PM   #8
Dan84

I would recommend replacing the astro turf with 2-3 inches of shredded aspen. Dumeril's like to burrow and the aspen will help to retain some humidity. Also, if you haven't already, cover the majority of the top of the aquarium with plastic wrap/plexiglass. This will help to bring the humidity up.

Post pics when you can. I have a 1 and a half year old Dumeril's an I always enjoy seeing others.
Old 04-23-15, 01:08 AM   #9
sophiedufort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan84 View Post
I would recommend replacing the astro turf with 2-3 inches of shredded aspen. Dumeril's like to burrow and the aspen will help to retain some humidity. Also, if you haven't already, cover the majority of the top of the aquarium with plastic wrap/plexiglass. This will help to bring the humidity up.

Post pics when you can. I have a 1 and a half year old Dumeril's an I always enjoy seeing others.
Thanks, Dan84. I will definitely follow your advice.
Old 04-23-15, 01:15 AM   #10
sophiedufort

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleKennedy View Post
Snakes are not affectionate by nature. Just because she is docile doesn't mean she wants to constantly be held. Leave her alone for weeks and bump up the humidity.
Thanks for the advice, Kyle. I will focus on the humidity.
With respect, I don't agree with you on the snakes' inability to show affection. I have six snakes, and they each have their own personality, as well as various levels of affection. They show it in many ways, and more often than not they seek it, instead of passively accepting it. Some are very clingy, some more independent, but they all are, without any doubt, attention seekers. I guess it all depends how they are treated. My husband and I handle our snakes every day, and we give them lots of love. They are not display pets. They are our kids. They return our love and affection a lot more than other pets. In truth,every creature is capable of affection. It is just a matter of nurturing it.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-24-15, 02:05 PM   #11
Snakesitter

Well said! Reptiles are much more advanced than traditional measures capture.
Website, Facebook
Old 04-25-15, 07:51 AM   #12
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan84 View Post

Aspen tends to mold. I would have said coco husk.
Old 04-25-15, 04:02 PM   #13
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiedufort View Post
Thanks for the advice, Kyle. I will focus on the humidity.
With respect, I don't agree with you on the snakes' inability to show affection. I have six snakes, and they each have their own personality, as well as various levels of affection. They show it in many ways, and more often than not they seek it, instead of passively accepting it. Some are very clingy, some more independent, but they all are, without any doubt, attention seekers. I guess it all depends how they are treated. My husband and I handle our snakes every day, and we give them lots of love. They are not display pets. They are our kids. They return our love and affection a lot more than other pets. In truth,every creature is capable of affection. It is just a matter of nurturing it.
Let's not do this all over again.
Old 04-25-15, 04:40 PM   #14
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
Let's not do this all over again.
Don't bring it up and we're good.
Closed Thread

Tags
loss of scales, no mites, scales