border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-17, 02:26 PM   #1
Mr.Nightmare

Unhappy Dried scales? Help please

My baby red tail boa went through a bad shed a couple of days ago and when I was done bathing him and taking the wet shed off I had accidently broke through another shed! I hadn't noticed until I looked at the color difference and it only happened at the tail. At first I just blew it off expecting for him to balance it out in his next shed but a couple days later (today) I come and see him and the part where the second shed broke had dried up and feels very strange.
Please help with this in any way, with advice on what to do mostly. I really don't want to take him to the vet because of money but if I have to I will.

Post any advice please
Login to remove ads
Old 06-18-17, 05:11 PM   #2
StevenL

Re: Dried scales? Help please

Without seeing and feeling it myself, I'm gong to take wild guesses here. You said it was a baby and with a baby comes some pretty delicate skin. It may be possible you didn't break through to another shed. You broke through new skin. Let's hope that isn't it. Secondly if it was an old shed on the tail area, there may be more than just one old shed. If that's the case, and with it being in the tail area, necrosis is a risk if old sheds pile up. I've had snakes for many years and what you describe I have never witnessed. With that said and I'm being honest here and not criticizing in any way. With any pet comes responsibility. Any pet I have ever taken to the vet I can honestly say I didn't want too. Nobody wants to unless it's for routine checks. I feel I owe it to everyone of my pets if an emergency arises they get the best care I can get for them. You have to choose and make your own decision what is best for your snake. I do know you will feel a lot better if you do take your snake to the vet even if your wallet comes out hurting. Good luck my friend.
Closed Thread

Tags
bad shed, dried, scales