border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Field Herping

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-15, 07:52 AM   #1
Jim Smith

In the act - so to speak

I came across something in my back yard this morning that I have never seen before; a pair of Eastern Box Turtles mating. Sorry that the photo is so poor quality, I was being very careful not to disturb them. You can't really see the female too well, but I was afraid to get any closer or to even focus the camera properly as I didn't want to take the chance that I'd interrupt their business.

My wife and I stop whenever we see a box turtle on the roads; usually to help them get across safely. That said, there have been a couple we found in very busy high-traffic areas that we relocated to our back yard which backs up to several hundred acres of wilderness.
Old 07-07-15, 09:21 AM   #2
Primal Rage

Re: In the act - so to speak

Very nice Jim! I have yet to see any box turtles in Fayette or Coweta counties this season. If you are lucky you might find some hatchlings this fall!!
Old 07-07-15, 01:26 PM   #3
Albert Clark

Nice picture. That is great and exciting. I wish I was there to see that! Thank you for sharing that.
Old 07-07-15, 04:24 PM   #4
Jim Smith

Primal Rage, Actually counting these two, I've seen six this week. The other four were on the roads and all were in the morning (8-10am) after an evening rain storm so the roads were still wet and the temperatures were not too hot yet. I think that there are "pockets" of these guys where the habitat has not been disturbed yet or at least for a long time. As the summer heats up, I'll see fewer of them, but I still keep an eye out for them to help them across the roads whenever possible.
Old 07-08-15, 05:31 PM   #5
Albert Clark

That's great! When I go to Va. to visit family I always see a lot of reptiles. Box turtles and lizards with toads and occaisional shed skin from a snake.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread