sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-04, 03:38 PM   #1
jglass38

Send a message via AIM to jglass38
Temperature/Thermostat question

I have a sterilite container with my BRB in it. I have a human heating pad directly under it. I have a digital accurite thermometer (in/out) w/ hygrometer. I have a thermostat. The directions on the thermostat say place the probe on the wall of the tank near the heat source. However, the probe from the thermometer is directly on the bottom surface of the tank because I figured the actual temperature measured there is what the snake is feeling (minus a hair for substrate, mulch in this case). So the question is, when I set the thermostat to the 85 degrees that I want it to be, it doesnt turn off and the thermometer shoots up to like 94-95 degrees. What do I believe and what do I go by? is the basking area supposed to be anj ambient 85 or a direct belly heat 85? If so, I should move the thermometer probe up to the wall. But wouldnt that put too much heat on the snakes belly? I am a little confused here and want to get it right. Sorry for the rambling post.

Jamie
Login to remove ads
Old 09-14-04, 03:43 PM   #2
Ptindy

Jamie, a direct belly heat of 85 if what you want. Not ambient air temperature. To heat the air with a heat pad is next to impossible. I use belly heat directly touching the pad or substrate as my temp reference. As with the thermometer shooting up to 94-95, try switching the in/out switch back and forth. With mine it changed up to 10 degrees ferenheit between the two settings and don't know the difference between them. When you switch it , if one reads around 85 I wouldn't worry about it. My two cents. I just bought a temp gun as I hated using that thing and it was the best 50 bucks i've spent in a long time. Take care.

Mike
Old 09-14-04, 04:19 PM   #3
jglass38

So that being said, I should have my thermostat and thermometer probes both under the substrate?
1.0 Hog Island Boa
0.0.1 Mali Uromastyx
Old 09-14-04, 07:53 PM   #4
Ptindy

I would but the probes in your boa's hide on the substrate. My ball python use to stay on top on his wood shavings and now he will move the shavings out of the way to get direct contact with the bottom of the rubbermaid so now I go by the bottom of the rubbermaid and i check it with my temp gun. If your snake doesn't burrow or move around your substrate then go with the temps on the surface of the substrate.

You will have to experiment with your snake a little. If you find he is always on the cool side lower the thermostat temp on the hot side. If he is always on the hot side and never goes to the cool side then you could raise it a little bit. If he is constantly going back and forth then you should be okay.
Old 09-14-04, 08:37 PM   #5
jglass38

Thanks for the help. I moved both probes (thermostat and thermometer) to the surface of the container under the substrate. I looked before and it had the temp at 95 which is into dangerous area for BRBs. I turned down the thermostat to 82 and I drilled 8 holes in the plastic top of the container. Now it is steady at 85 (for now). Apparently it was a little warm and he moved to the cool side. I am also experimenting with my A/C in that room. I have central air and most of the time keep the vents off in the snake room. I am now turning the on. I figure as long as the temps are reasonably ok, he will be fine until I can fine tune things. I just want to keep the warm side at 82-85.
1.0 Hog Island Boa
0.0.1 Mali Uromastyx
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread