sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-22, 12:02 PM   #1
M.S.Teacher

Question Classroom Snake Options

Hello Snake People,
I am a middle school classroom teacher. I am seriously thinking of getting a snake as a classroom pet. I am looking for feedback, suggestions, or ideas. I have researched this for months, but could use a few extra brains to help figure some things out.

Question 1: Is bringing a snake into the classroom with 30 13-year-olds an, inherently, bad idea?

Question 2: I am considering rosy boas, ball pythons, and spotted pythons. Are there positives or negatives to these species you would like to mention? I understand the basics of each species; I am specifically looking for how you think they would do in a classroom environment.

Question 3: While I understand the “all animals can bite” cliche, I need to know which, if any, of these species is likely to bite a student. For obvious reasons, I cannot have a snake in school who occasionally bites students. I also need to know what “unlikely to bite” means. For example, if a ball python is “unlikely to bite,” does this mean it will probably live for its entire life without defensive biting, or it will only defensively bite once every few weeks?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts,
Login to remove ads

Tags
ball pythons, classroom, rosy boas, school, spotted pythons