border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-16, 09:18 PM   #1
gp724

What snake is best for me?

I am brand new to snakes, but I have always had a huge interest in snakes, and lately I have been doing a lot of research on them. I recently got the chance to interact with a bull snake, and I fell in love with her. I love her size, her energy level, everything about her. Sadly, they seem to be very rarely available where I live. I do like colubrids, and possibly pythons. Is there a snake that fits the below requirements:

6-7ish foot range
Somewhat active(moves around the cage a bit, but is handleable)
Doesn't need super high humidity or temperature ranges(I can for sure supply heat mats under the cage, and I can mist the cage daily if needed)
Is a pretty good eater
Not likely to bite or musk
Is about the same girth as a bull snake (thicker than a corn snake, but thinner than a bull snake)
Typically has a reasonable upfront cost(around $100-$150ish)
Would a carpet python fit most of these requirements? I haven't done a ton of research on them, but they seem to fit most of the requirements.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-09-16, 10:36 AM   #2
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: What snake is best for me?

If it's a bullsnake you want, then keep looking until you find one. They're certainly around but not extremely easy to find. Where are you located in Canada?

Carpet pythons need higher heat and humidity, but nothing too crazy and they would be a great alternative. Research them and handle a few adults to see if they are a good fir for you.
Old 06-09-16, 11:46 AM   #3
albertagirl

This is pretty similar to what I was looking for. Being from Alberta we can't have bull or gopher snakes around here, but if you're from a province that allows them, gopher snakes are really pretty. My understanding is that they are really similar to bull snakes but just slightly smaller. Check out this website.
Another one you might want to look into is black milk snakes. Unfortunately also super hard to find, but not impossible. Larger than a corn snake, super docile, but I've never seen one IRL so I can't comment much on how active they are in their cages or how substantial they feel in hand. The great thing about these guys is normal indoor temps and humidity are just about right for them. Depending on how you keep your house, you may not even need to supply heat!

Carpet pythons are definitely easier to find but may be on the higher end of your price range.
Old 06-09-16, 11:54 AM   #4
phassin

Carpet pythons definitely fit your requirements. They do need some humidity and a mid 90s warm spot, but that's not so bad. Honestly, if you get a baby it would be cheaper and you can certainly find some for 150 if you stick to Irian Jaya, Coastal or maybe a Jungle.
Old 06-09-16, 12:15 PM   #5
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertagirl View Post
Another one you might want to look into is black milk snakes. Unfortunately also super hard to find, but not impossible. Larger than a corn snake, super docile, but I've never seen one IRL so I can't comment much on how active they are in their cages or how substantial they feel in hand. .
They are usually burrowed or hidden, but a bit less so than other milks. They tend to gain length over width the first 2 years and then they put on girth and muscle mass. Most adults are around the thickness of a golf ball and adult weight ranges from 1200-2000 grams, averaging around 1400 (roughly 3 pounds). Certainly bigger than corns.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-09-16, 12:21 PM   #6
albertagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
They are usually burrowed or hidden, but a bit less so than other milks. They tend to gain length over width the first 2 years and then they put on girth and muscle mass. Most adults are around the thickness of a golf ball and adult weight ranges from 1200-2000 grams, averaging around 1400 (roughly 3 pounds). Certainly bigger than corns.
Andy, you're a wealth of knowledge! I've searched and hunted and not been able to find this exact information. Thank you!!
Old 06-09-16, 01:58 PM   #7
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I have bull snakes and carpet pythons and I love them. I'd probably go with a coastal carpet python as my first choice. Both are great snakes to keep. I don't think humidity is that big of a deal for carpets either as long as they have fresh water to hydrate themselves. I've had perfect sheds and no RIs with humidity ranges of 30-60%. My ambient humidity is usually 40-50%. My bulls and carpets rarely hide but I think the carpets make better display snakes.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-09-16, 02:11 PM   #8
phassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
I have bull snakes and carpet pythons and I love them. I'd probably go with a coastal carpet python as my first choice. Both are great snakes to keep. I don't think humidity is that big of a deal for carpets either as long as they have fresh water to hydrate themselves. I've had perfect sheds and no RIs with humidity ranges of 30-60%. My ambient humidity is usually 40-50%. My bulls and carpets rarely hide but I think the carpets make better display snakes.
My carpets hide all the time! I actually caught them hanging out last night when I got home but as soon as I turned the light on they went under their hides. You keep yours in a dim lit room?
Old 06-09-16, 02:39 PM   #9
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phassin View Post
My carpets hide all the time! I actually caught them hanging out last night when I got home but as soon as I turned the light on they went under their hides. You keep yours in a dim lit room?
My carpets are in a fairly well lit room phassin. They're not out as much during the day as my bulls but they're perched out almost every night unless they're shedding or have just eaten a meal.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-09-16, 03:40 PM   #10
valkea

I've got an Irian Jaya Jag who's a year old. Fantastic little snake but he's still very snappy. I get bit whenever I take him out. Mind you they don't hurt and rarely draw blood. But something to keep in mind. I've been told he'll settle as I handle him more and he ages. I've only had him for two weeks so he's still super new to me!
Login to remove ads
Old 06-09-16, 04:30 PM   #11
gp724

I live in Alberta, I just read that sadly, bulls are illegal to own here. I don't really want to have to put up with higher humidity requirements, so I don't think a carpet python is really right for me. I am looking at ball pythons, and I have started to really like them. My local herp rescue has a ton of ball pythons, they are extremely well taken care of. I went to visit them today, and I really liked them. I'm thinking I'll go with a ball python, but do you have any other suggestions?
Old 06-09-16, 08:53 PM   #12
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkea View Post
I've got an Irian Jaya Jag who's a year old. Fantastic little snake but he's still very snappy. I get bit whenever I take him out. Mind you they don't hurt and rarely draw blood. But something to keep in mind. I've been told he'll settle as I handle him more and he ages. I've only had him for two weeks so he's still super new to me!
He should calm down for you V. My Bredl was a bit nippy for the first few weeks that I had him too. I didn't handle him much until he'd eaten a couple of meals for me. He's been great since then. I hope your guy mellows out.
Old 06-10-16, 12:33 AM   #13
toddnbecka

Bull, gopher, or pine snakes are all in the same family, and share the same general requirements and disposition. Rat snakes are also in that size range, and while not quite as "friendly" if you start with a CB baby it will likely grow into an easily handled adult. Carpet pythons are likely going to cost a bit more, and disposition is a bit more variable between individual snakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkea View Post
Takes more than 2 weeks to settle into the new environment. My little IJ female struck at anything that moved when I brought her home. After a few weeks she settled down quite a bit, though she still wasn't happy about being picked up. Now, months later, she's no problem to pick up and handle. Not flighty or defensive at all, though she'd really rather be left to do her own thing, lol.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 06-10-16, 12:35 AM   #14
SirHiss

I have a jungle carpet and she's basically everything in your 'criteria' she is not snappy at all surprisingly and I think that it would be a great choice I sort of had the same experience as you.
Old 06-10-16, 05:17 AM   #15
trailblazer295

Depending where you live in the country check online for a reptile expo in your area. You will see more variety than your local reptile store. You'll have breeders and stores from across the province and possibly the neighbouring ones as well. Carpets are a good choice to but if a bull snake is what you really want then I'd suggest don't "settle" and look for what you really want.
Closed Thread

Tags
bull snake, carpet python