border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-14, 04:10 PM   #1
snakekid6996

Question what morph?

I've had my corn snake for about 11 years now. I got him as a baby for my 6th birthday. I've never thought much of it, but recently I've been woundering if he could be a different morph.I think he looks a little different than normal or wild corn snakes. My mom thinks that he was labeled as a fancy corn at the pet store, but it's been so long it's hard to recall. He seems to be a bit brighter orange with a different style of sattles/pattern. Also, he has a plane belly, not a checkered one. However, it does fade from a very light orange starting at the tail, into a pure white more towards the middle and the front half of him. Although, this may be due to scaring from an accident with tape we had when he was younger. Anyways, my question is if anyone else thinks that he is a specific morph or just a normal corn snake? Thanks.

Old 08-04-14, 04:13 PM   #2
snakekid6996

Re: what morph?

Old 08-04-14, 07:24 PM   #3
Obsidian_Dragon

The saddle spots shaped like that make me think of motley, but definitely don't quote me on that!
Old 08-04-14, 07:34 PM   #4
BIGT FROM F.B.

I have no proof to back this up, but looks like a Everglades rat snake had a little night out drinking with a Corn.
Old 08-04-14, 07:37 PM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I'm not too familiar with morphs but that's a very nice looking corn. It's nice to see a well kept mature snake.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 08-04-14, 07:39 PM   #6
SnoopySnake

The patterning near the head made me think motley too, but I'm not real educated in morphs so I'd wait for someone more experienced to chime in. Also kudos to you for having him so long, nice to see an older snake.
Old 08-04-14, 07:42 PM   #7
snakekid6996

I've been looking at a few pictures of different morphs of corn snakes and it seems like a lot of them have the white that fades into orange on their belly. So Maybe it isn't scaring. The motley might explain the plane belly if that's what he happens to be. Hopefully someone will know for sure what he is. It doesn't make a big difference, but I'd just like to know and I was thinking about breeding him when I move out of my parents house.
Old 08-04-14, 11:50 PM   #8
CosmicOwl

The lack of markings on the ventral scales is a good indicator that it's a motley. Color wise, I don't see much to suggest that he's anything other than a very orange normal. Corn snakes can be highly variable in coloration without possessing a specific gene.
Old 08-05-14, 12:40 AM   #9
Frisky

He is a Normal (Wild Type) Motley. A lot of Normal Motley's tend to have that lighter orangey shade in adulthood, the clear patternless belly is a Motley trait.
Old 08-05-14, 12:58 AM   #10
snakekid6996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky View Post
He is a Normal (Wild Type) Motley. A lot of Normal Motley's tend to have that lighter orangey shade in adulthood, the clear patternless belly is a Motley trait.
Is motley a recessive or a dominant trait? And are they worth more than normal corns?
Like I said, it's not a huge deal, but I was thinking about breeding him someday.
Old 08-05-14, 05:34 PM   #11
Teal

What a handsome fella! He reminds me a lot of my older boy... he's an anery motley (so looks just like yours, only grey!) and he's about 15 years old (:
Old 08-05-14, 06:37 PM   #12
ssshane

I think it would be a hypo (reduced black) motley.
Old 08-06-14, 01:02 AM   #13
Frisky

As far as I am aware the gene is recessive. Motleys do fetch a buck or two more than just a normal. For instance, in my country a Wild Type Normal hatchling might go for R50, but a Wild Type Motley hatchling might fetch R65. Amel (Albino) hatchlings go for R100. I hope I have put a bit of perspective on the subject.
Closed Thread

Tags
corn snake, identification, morph