border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-16, 01:37 AM   #1
Sevvy

Exo terra/boamaster for jungle carpet?

Just wondering if an Exo terra X-tall (36x18x36") would be good for an adult jungle carpet python. I'm also wondering about the taller boamaster cage (48x24x15"), since I haven't fully decided what to get so a bigger cage means more flexibility (and I like that it's PVC). I'm only trying to choose now because, well, it's "almost" Christmas so maybe I can swing one
Login to remove ads
Old 09-20-16, 06:30 AM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Exo terra/boamaster for jungle carpet?

I have my IJ juvie in an exoterra. She's not shy and I think she 'likes' looking around through all of the clear sides. Not sure about a full jungle though.

Also, I dod research on PVC cages, and the Boamaster is pretry nice, but I will be getting all Animal Plastics caging over the next year or 2.

Good luck with whatever you choose =)

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 09-20-16, 07:42 AM   #3
Sevvy

Thank you. I just looked at AP and it looks like right now it'll actually be cheaper to go with them since they're on sale. 195 plus 20 for strip lights for the same dimensions as the boamaster. (The A20 is sadly not on sale though.)

Do you think your IJ would fit in the Exo Terra fully grown?
Old 09-20-16, 07:57 AM   #4
Minkness
Forum Moderator

IJs stay on the smaller side, so yeah, I think she will be fine. Jungles are a bit bigger though so I'm not sure about yours.

Old 09-20-16, 01:23 PM   #5
dannybgoode

Where's a photo of your IJ mink?!

I'm thinking of a 4x3 or 3x3 for Jerry when I do my viv upgrades-boy it's not going to be a cheap job with what I've got in mind for them all!
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Old 09-20-16, 02:43 PM   #6
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Haha. She's been shown around before, but here are a few pics anyway. =)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160817_100144.jpg (25.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20160901_000348.jpg (23.7 KB, 42 views)

Old 09-20-16, 02:48 PM   #7
dannybgoode

Stunning. Apologies I took a brief hiatus from the site and you must have acquired her then. Hard to keep up with your acquisitions!

How do you find her temperament-Jerry is soft as a brush. Had him out again tonight and he's very chilled. No defensiveness at all.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 09-20-16, 03:03 PM   #8
marvelfreak
Captain America

I would go with the Boa Master or AP. The bigger the better. Jungles can get quite big. I have a 15 year old male that is just over 8 feet and 16.5 lbs.
Old 09-20-16, 03:17 PM   #9
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Danny, she is pretty easy. Very inquisitive and a bit in your face when hungry, but she isn't iverly agressive and seems toreally lock onto the food and not my hand or tongs. She knows what's food and what's not. When handled she is really relaxed but active. =)

Old 09-20-16, 03:48 PM   #10
Sevvy

That is a beautiful snake!

marvelfreak, my only concern with the boamaster/AP is that they seem a little short for a snake that likes to climb (I can't afford the larger arboreal APs). Will this pose a problem or change the snake's behavior at all?
Login to remove ads
Old 09-20-16, 04:13 PM   #11
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Thanks Sevvy!

Depending on the size of the snake, you could wait and save up for the 'right' cage. I will say this. If you want a larger, more custom size, AP will usually take custom orders. =)

Old 09-20-16, 04:47 PM   #12
Sevvy

True. I haven't actually decided on a species yet (just leaning heavily towards a carpet python), so the fact that I want to raise a neonate might mean it's better to just use a sterilite tub until I actually know what to get/have some money. Christmas is just a good opportunity to ask for stuff
Old 09-20-16, 04:58 PM   #13
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevvy View Post
That is a beautiful snake!

marvelfreak, my only concern with the boamaster/AP is that they seem a little short for a snake that likes to climb (I can't afford the larger arboreal APs). Will this pose a problem or change the snake's behavior at all?
Even in the ones that are 1 foot tall they will climb. What i did was get a wooden dowel and cut it to fit from one side to the other. I then put it about 8 to 9 inches high in the cage. My Carpet always use them.
Old 09-20-16, 05:20 PM   #14
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Yeah. I kept my baby IJ in a 15 gallon tank up until about 2 months ago. But the tub with rods is probably a better set up lol.

Oh, and if space is an issue, go with an IJ. They have nice morphs available. Mine is just a normal but I plan on getting a male jag IJ at some point.

Old 09-20-16, 07:48 PM   #15
Sevvy

Space isn't a huge issue as long as I'm not going over 4 feet long cage-wise. I'll admit 3 feet might be more manageable an enclosure size, but it's really not a dealbreaker for me. Besides, I just love the yellows on the jungles.

(Note: I think jag IJs might be yellow sometimes? But I want to stay away from the jag morph for now because I'm sort of iffy about the ethics of them. No offense meant to anyone who keeps/breeds jags.)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
boa master, carpet python, exo terra