Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-13, 05:03 PM   #1
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55
I got fish!

I got 1 redtail shark, 2 iridescent rosy barbs, and 3 zebra fish. So far they all seem real happy. My local fish store checked the water etc and said I was good to go. It is nearly impossible to get a photo of them though.

I've ordered a background to cover the tank; it should arrive soon.

Here is a photo of the redtail shark; no name yet.

Login to remove ads
Old 01-24-13, 05:54 PM   #2
Jay
Bcc fanatic

Re: I got fish!

Awesome choice, I have a few in my planted tank.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayyboy16?feature=mhee
Old 01-24-13, 05:55 PM   #3
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Oh, I forgot to add. My fish store made me aware that my shark and the barbs will grow too large to share the 10gallon, so eventually they will need a bigger tank. Thankfully, I have a 55-gallon tank sitting in my garage at my parents' house for when the time comes. Just didn't want anyone to think I'm cramming these guys in there without a clue as to the size they'll achieve.
Old 01-24-13, 06:04 PM   #4
alessia55
Retired Moderator

I tried to get a photo of the other fish. This is the best I could do for now:

Old 01-24-13, 06:06 PM   #5
Hurrok

Awesome! I miss having a fish tank. I swear I could watch them for hours and hours while being amazed. It will be very rewarding to have some fish and when you set up that 55 gallon, you are in for a treat

Taking photo's of them are such a pain too, they always want to move! :P
1.0 Spider BP // 1.1 Pewter BP // 0.1 Pastel BP // 1.0 Lesser BP //0.1 Mojave BP // 1.0 Mojave Champagne BP // 1.0 Het Pied BP // 0.1 Phantom BP // 0.1 Western Hognose // 1.0 Cinny Sugar BP // 0.1 'Normal' BP // 0.1 Corn // 0.1 G. Rosea
Login to remove ads
Old 01-24-13, 09:54 PM   #6
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Keep an eye on the shark. They can be aggressive to your other fish. Namely the barbs as the danios are pretty quick.
Old 01-24-13, 09:59 PM   #7
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Keep an eye on the shark. They can be aggressive to your other fish. Namely the barbs as the danios are pretty quick.
That's exactly what the woman at the fish store told me. I watched during feeding time and it was all pretty calm. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 01-24-13, 10:32 PM   #8
Squirtle
Banned

They're so pretty! I think a video would be easier than taking pictures, so make a video when everything is set up and perfect!
Old 01-24-13, 11:24 PM   #9
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Typically they are not recommended for community tanks with smaller fish, because they can be quite hostile, even by themselves.

At least be sure you don't get more than one Red-Tail Shark. They become very territorial.

Anyway, nice that you're getting into fish - watch out though -fishkeeping is an addicting hobby!! I've been keeping fish for over 10 years now. Love all my scaly friends

Note of advice - stock up on meds. You will need them. Unless you want to buy lots of replacement fish, LOL. (I can give you more info if you're interested)
Instagram: pareeeee17
Old 01-24-13, 11:43 PM   #10
Corey209

Send a message via Skype™ to Corey209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pareeeee View Post
Note of advice - stock up on meds. You will need them. Unless you want to buy lots of replacement fish, LOL. (I can give you more info if you're interested)
I've never seen anyone use meds before and we kept fish for over 10 years with the majority dying of old age and we had at least 60 fish. What kind of sicknesses do they get and how do you tell?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-25-13, 08:45 AM   #11
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey209 View Post
I've never seen anyone use meds before and we kept fish for over 10 years with the majority dying of old age and we had at least 60 fish. What kind of sicknesses do they get and how do you tell?
You've had a very unusual experience with fish then. I've been member on fish chats and forums for years, and even veteran fishkeepers and breeders have disease outbreaks from time to time. Back in the day, I was often the one people would ask for disease advice, and it helped me learn a lot about treatments, causes, etc.
Larger tanks usually see fewer problems, smaller tanks are more difficult to maintain. Other variables apply, age of fish, fish species (fish like rainbowfish are very hardy, others, like discus, are prone to health issues if not properly maintained), number of fish, type of filtration, tap-water quality, pH, and so on. It's smart to always have meds on hand. After buying new fish is when sickness most commonly occurs. If at all possible, a person should have a quarantine tank for new and sick fish. I've treated worms, ich (easy to eradicate), bacterial infections, etc. The most common maladies are ich and tuberculosis. Tuberculosis, unfortunately, is almost impossible to cure, and very contagious (even transmissible to humans), therefore the fish in question should be destroyed.

I try to have these on hand: aquarium salt (multiple uses), parasite medication, Maracyn-Two (for bacterial infections), malachite green solution (for ich or velvet), Melafix and Pimafix. Read the instructions carefully, some meds kill catfish and crustaceans.

If your tank is well-cycled, you should not have many problems, except when introducing new fish. I've also found that live plants help a lot, for several reasons.

How big was your tank? If it was large, that could have been one of the reasons your fish were disease-free. For a person like me, with a relatively small tank (33 gallon) it takes a bit more effort, especially with tap-water which is not ideal... I also overstock a little, so it would be irresponsible for me to overstock and not have meds on hand.

Edit: I've learned over the years that adding a small amount of salt to the aquarium after each water-change helps a great deal in preventing disease. When fish are stressed they lose their slime-coat, which makes them vulnerable to disease. Salt aids in the production of this slime coat. (I put one teaspoon in my 33 gallon after each water change)

Last edited by Pareeeee; 01-25-13 at 08:57 AM..
Old 01-25-13, 08:50 AM   #12
Loucifer
Banned

Niiice! I love me some fiss! Haven't had fresh water for a long time, but loved Clown Loaches & Angels! Nice Red-Tailed Jaws! "I think you're gonna need a bigger boat"...XD
Old 01-25-13, 08:57 AM   #13
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pareeeee View Post
You've had a very unusual experience with fish then. I've been member on fish chats and forums for years, and even veteran fishkeepers and breeders have disease outbreaks from time to time. Back in the day, I was often the one people would ask for disease advice, and it helped me learn a lot about treatments, causes, etc.
Larger tanks usually see fewer problems, smaller tanks are more difficult to maintain. Other variables apply, age of fish, fish species (fish like rainbowfish are very hardy, others, like discus, are prone to health issues if not properly maintained), number of fish, type of filtration, tap-water quality, pH, and so on. It's smart to always have meds on hand. After buying new fish is when sickness most commonly occurs. If at all possible, a person should have a quarantine tank for new and sick fish. I've treated worms, ich (easy to eradicate), bacterial infections, etc. The most common maladies are ich and tuberculosis. Tuberculosis, unfortunately, is almost impossible to cure, and very contagious (even transmissible to humans), therefore the fish in question should be destroyed.

I try to have these on hand: aquarium salt (multiple uses), parasite medication, Maracyn-Two (for bacterial infections), malachite green solution (for ich or velvet), Melafix and Pimafix. Read the instructions carefully, some meds kill catfish and crustaceans.

If your tank is well-cycled, you should not have many problems, except when introducing new fish. I've also found that live plants help a lot, for several reasons.

Edit: I've learned over the years that adding a small amount of salt to the aquarium after each water-change helps a great deal in preventing disease. When fish are stressed they lose their slime-coat, which makes them vulnerable to disease. Salt aids in the production of this slime coat. (I put one teaspoon in my 33 gallon after each water change)
Not bad information but I've never needed meds on hand for my fish tanks and I've run a few over the last couple of years. My biggest was the cichlid tank and it did quite well even adding in new fish.

I think those vets and breeders may just have gotten complacent in what they are doing and had the idea that "it won't happen to me, I KNOW better" and then it does.

I believe the key is to be up on your tank and what's happening. Proper maintenance, doing water tests and the like will help with avoiding any issues. Also, doing homework on your species is IDEAL.

For example, mollies get ick a lot and that's because they are usually kept without enough salt in the water as they do well in a brackish tank. Easily fixable as you mentioned though but it's why I stay away from ever buying a molly.
Old 01-25-13, 10:18 AM   #14
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S
Not bad information but I've never needed meds on hand for my fish tanks and I've run a few over the last couple of years. My biggest was the cichlid tank and it did quite well even adding in new fish.

I think those vets and breeders may just have gotten complacent in what they are doing and had the idea that "it won't happen to me, I KNOW better" and then it does.

I believe the key is to be up on your tank and what's happening. Proper maintenance, doing water tests and the like will help with avoiding any issues. Also, doing homework on your species is IDEAL.

For example, mollies get ick a lot and that's because they are usually kept without enough salt in the water as they do well in a brackish tank. Easily fixable as you mentioned though but it's why I stay away from ever buying a molly.
I think water quality is a huge factor. As I mentioned, my water is not very good (well water with rust content - we do not drink it, it even stains our shower/toilet/sinks orange). I don't think my fish would do as well as they do if I didn't have so many live plants filtering the toxins. That's the one thing I've really noticed - and I give the plants the credit for it - my aquarium never has rust stains. Ever. The plants love the iron, but so does the algae. Ever since I've moved here, algae and I have fought tooth and nail.

I've also learned what fish work and which ones don't in my set-up - Rainbows are my favourite, expensive, but they live forever. Fish like platies...not so much.

lol Mollies. They are strange little fish. My friend had the magic touch for them - she kept them in freshwater too - and they would breed like crazy. They just kept multiplying like mad.

Livebearers in general are not my thing. I'm more into Rainbows, Characins and Cyprinids. I'd love to have an Oddball tank someday...when i have room

Last edited by Pareeeee; 01-25-13 at 10:26 AM..
Old 01-25-13, 10:29 AM   #15
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

I wish I knew latin names for fish as I'm not really on the up and up of them yet.

I now have only a 20 gallon tank with guppies in it. My 5 year old really likes the fact they are colourful and that they have babies all the time.

We've tried a few different other species recommended to us but these do well for her. I'd like to actually just do species specific tanks for the most part going forward. I would like to have a large school of tiger barbs.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread