border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-04, 01:05 AM   #1
QueenHerper

Send a message via AIM to QueenHerper Send a message via MSN to QueenHerper Send a message via Yahoo to QueenHerper
New girl on the block

Hello my name is Sandy and I have never owned a snake in my life, but my husband and I would like to get a snake or 2 or 3....LOL We are private breeders of bearded dragons and would also like to venture out to snakes. We are trying to learn all we can about snakes before we actually decide if this is something we can or want to do. I have a few questions that may seem kinda dumb but please remember I have never owned a snake and dont know a lot about them. Ok first off we have been reading about snakes and have come across many terms or words we are not sure what they mean. If anyone would like to explain them to us. Melenistic, hypomelenistic, homozygous, heterzygous, amelenistic, anerythristics. I tried to look them up but not getting the info on them I want or something...LOL Would appreciate any help with that.
Second with our beardies we have to use UVA/UVB lights and we had read that snakes dont need these lights is that true? Also with the beardies we have to supplement them with calcium and vitamins by dusting there food. Do snakes also need to have these supplements? I have read no where that they do, but want to make sure of this. When feeding a snake why do some ppl feed frozen/thawed mice over live? Is it ok to feed live mice to the snakes? Well Guess thats enuf for now I will ask more later.

sandy
Login to remove ads
Old 01-07-04, 09:07 AM   #2
Frankie

Welcome to the site Sandy!!!!!! You'll find alot of helpful people here. Not much on the genetics thing but I'm sure somebody can help you. Snakes don't need special lighting unless you are cycling them for breeding. They don't need supplements either. Feeding frozen /thawed is the perfered method so your snake doesn't take a nasty bite. We've all seen pictures of what a rat or mouse can do to a snake it's not a pretty one. Hope thiswill help you some and once agian welcome to the best site on the net!!!
Old 01-07-04, 09:50 AM   #3
cletus

Hey Sandy I thought I would help you out on a couple of those words you were asking about

Melanistic- Darker than normal in colour (not always black) due to increased amounts of Melanin

Hypomelanistic- Being deficient in melanin

Homozygous-Having dominant traits because of identical gene pairs

Heterozgous- Having recessive traits because of differing gene pairs

Amelanistic- Lacking black pigment

Anerythristic- Lacking red pigment

Axantic- Deficient in yellow pigment

With the questions about lighting it depends on what your getting (sand boas , Tree pythons , Boas or colubrids its best to suit to species)
I personally try to feed my snakes on dead mice or rats . Only my baby kenya's get live pinkies until I can get them to eat frozen. Also problem feeders , I tend to give them live if they won't eat F/T mice

Hope this helps
Old 01-07-04, 11:30 AM   #4
Invictus

Send a message via MSN to Invictus
Welcome to the site, Sandy. All the info above about the terms (amelanistic, etc.) is completely correct, but I must make a correction on one thing - there is not one snake in existence that requires UVA/UVB lighting. Although most snakes are nocturnal, even the diurnal snakes like the Eastern Indigo do not require UV light in order to thrive in captivity.

As mentioned, giving live food is a huge no-no in the snakekeeping world, unless it is a pinky mouse, which cannot possibly harm a snake. It's best to get them onto prekilled prey (or purchase it already feeding on prekilled, be it fresh kill or frozen/thawed).
Old 01-07-04, 01:17 PM   #5
ruthupton

Hi there, Sandy. Welcome to the board. I'm a relative newbie too and have found the members to be really friendly and helpful.

0.1.0 Cali King 1.0.0 Pueblan Milk
Login to remove ads
Old 01-07-04, 05:47 PM   #6
CDN-Cresties

Welcome to the site!!!

-Steve-
Old 01-07-04, 06:24 PM   #7
mykee
Super Genius

I hope you enjoy the site and it's members.
Old 01-07-04, 07:05 PM   #8
Colin Friesen

Hi Sandy, welcome!!
Old 01-07-04, 07:21 PM   #9
jwsporty

Hi Sandy,

Welcome to the site. I will mirror what has already been said and I hope you will quickly find this to be your home away from home.

If you are hunting for a place to get some quality animals, you may wish to drop Brian Barczyk a line from BHB Enterprises. He is a great person to deal with and even better, he is in your neck of the woods.

bhb@comcast.net

Cheers
Jim

Last edited by jwsporty; 01-07-04 at 07:27 PM..
Old 01-07-04, 07:22 PM   #10
ANACONDASAURUS

Send a message via Yahoo to ANACONDASAURUS
Hi Sandy welcome to sSNAKESssssssssssssssssssssss!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-07-04, 07:58 PM   #11
QueenHerper

Send a message via AIM to QueenHerper Send a message via MSN to QueenHerper Send a message via Yahoo to QueenHerper
I would just like to thank all the ppl that welcomed me so warmly. I feel i will enjoy this forum alot. I'd also like to thank all the ppl that gave me information. It seems to have helped me...lol at least now when i look those beautiful snakes i have some clue of what they are saying..lol

sandy
Old 01-07-04, 08:10 PM   #12
the_frog_man

Send a message via MSN to the_frog_man
welcome sandy!
Old 01-07-04, 08:32 PM   #13
BoidKeeper

Welcome!
One word of caustion. Once you switch to snakes you may sell the dragons and never look back. Snakes where my third reptile after turtles and lizards and now I have 30+. Until recently when I added two leopards to my classroom my catch phrase was "Just Snakes." What I like most about snakes is how much easier they are to feed then most lizards are. For that matter snakes in genral are easier to care for.
Cheers,
Trevor
Old 01-07-04, 08:37 PM   #14
QueenHerper

LoL dont think I could get rid of my lizards they are awesome and were our first reptile pets. I wont deny that we may get a snake addiction to add on to our beardie addiction. We dont mind we already have quite the zoo going on here. Might as well keep it up right...LOL

sandy
Old 01-08-04, 06:20 AM   #15
BoidKeeper

Right!
Have fun and keep us posted! Have you had a chance to put up any beardie pics yet?
Cheers,
Trevor
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread