border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Reptile Clubs / Societies > General Information

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-16, 06:40 AM   #1
Selena_23

Send a message via Skype™ to Selena_23
Exclamation Dosage "NutriBac"

After a course of antibiotics is necessary to carry out a course of prebiotics to restore the intestinal microflora.
What is the dosage in preparation for snakes?

Login to remove ads
Old 08-19-16, 11:22 AM   #2
Albert Clark

Re: Dosage "NutriBac"

Probiotics usually are incorporated along with antibiotic therapies. Nutri bac is just a brand name for the main ingredients. It's more accurately called lactobacillus acidophilus cultures. But are mostly dairy free. The dosagages of the different brands can vary but should be clearly printed on the labels. Depending if you are administering a powdered product or a liquid one your dosage will be different. Powdered can be sprinkled on and liquid can be given as drops into the drinking water or directly into the mouth. Both can be administered onto prey items if the animal is feeding.
Old 08-19-16, 11:34 AM   #3
bigsnakegirl785

The directions on the powdered NutriBAC I have says to completely cover the prey item in the powder. I completely cover it, but since it gets sticky, I also rub any excess off on a clean piece of paper towel by rolling it around a couple times.
Old 08-19-16, 02:42 PM   #4
RAD House

Just want to add I have had an issue with snakes not showing interest in a fully coated prey item. To avoid this I usually just coat the rear end.
Old 08-19-16, 03:31 PM   #5
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
Just want to add I have had an issue with snakes not showing interest in a fully coated prey item. To avoid this I usually just coat the rear end.
Another thing that works is re-scenting it. I do this by either rubbing the rodent on one my live mice, or dipping the nose/head back in the water I thawed it in. Usually works for my rainbow. I think the powder takes away the scent a little, and if it's too sticky my rainbow has a hard time eating it because he doesn't have the strength to pull it off of him.
Old 08-22-16, 11:22 AM   #6
Albert Clark

The probiotic liquid would probably be more efficacious. It comes with a eye dropper and can not only be administered into the fresh drinking water but can be given by mouth. Usual dose is 3 to 4 drops directly into the mouth.
Closed Thread