border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-21, 08:36 PM   #1
Zelg

How do people pull their more arboreal snakes out?

Simple title to a more complex issue

So I have a carpet python (4 years old now I guess?) and I currently have him in a large tub setup (new cage should be arriving mid-late April). Anyways, normally hes in his hide and I take some things out, remove his hide, pick him up. No problem.

However in the interest of getting him a little more calmer/used to handling I've been taking him out more often lately to sit with him and all that. However I needed to clean his cage the other day and he was on top of his little cross section of wood and immediately began backing up and reeling himself up like a fishing poll, quickly just becoming one with the wood.

I ended up just setting the wood in my living room and spend like 15-20 mins sitting there letting him try to explore, hoping he'd move off but he was too nervous I guess and didnt let go, however at on point I finally caught him w/ his tail and body just resting on top of the wood so I picked him up and proceeded to clean the tub.

So my question, as I've considered snakes like ATBs and other more arboreal snakes, when you need to pull these guys/gals out of their cages when YOU want them to come out, how do you go about it? I tried tickling my guys tail and that just made him wind up even tighter. Of course I'm concerned about hurting him so I dont try very hard to unwrap them if I dont have to but it just got me thinking about the snakes that are constantly up in a "tree" setup, how you guys get them out.

Maybe this should have been in the ATB section but I have a carpet sooooo here I am.

Anyways, heres a pic of my guy Nygma. Hope it comes out ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nygma 2.jpg (388.7 KB, 4 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 02-25-21, 08:46 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: How do people pull their more arboreal snakes out?

Most people have removable branches in their tubs or enclosures and remove those, put it in another bin for cleaning and then put it back.
Old 02-25-21, 10:11 PM   #3
Zelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Most people have removable branches in their tubs or enclosures and remove those, put it in another bin for cleaning and then put it back.

Guess I should just get a bigger holding bin then. Thanks.
Old 02-26-21, 06:06 AM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelg View Post
Guess I should just get a bigger holding bin then. Thanks.
That works or you'll have to untangle the snake with force and they sometimes get defensive with that
Old 02-26-21, 10:48 AM   #5
poison123

As mentioned I use removable perches for my ETBs and GTP. The more tolerant ones I cant just tickle off of their perches but the others I use plastic shower rod holders from amazon and just cut to fit the perch into it.
Old 02-26-21, 06:15 PM   #6
Zelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
That works or you'll have to untangle the snake with force and they sometimes get defensive with that

I would hate to have to do that by force. Also what inspired me to make this thread was simply pulling him out of his tub, he was able to grab on to the underside of the outside lip of the tub and hold on for dear life and even though he didnt REALLY have anything to grab on, it took a good effort just to get him pulled away from the tub itself lol. Like I said though, its not normally an issue. Mostly just wondering how others manage these things. It sounds like removable items are the solution.
Old 02-26-21, 06:16 PM   #7
Zelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison123 View Post
As mentioned I use removable perches for my ETBs and GTP. The more tolerant ones I cant just tickle off of their perches but the others I use plastic shower rod holders from amazon and just cut to fit the perch into it.

I guess I just see a lot of the more elaborate setups where people use silicone and foam to lock in branches and stuff so I wonder how people with those setups deal with it.

Personally I'll be going with all removable perches with the new cage setup though.

Maybe a silly question, do you worry about perches coming loose somehow? Do you have a way to keep them locked in place until you're ready to remove them? I kind of imagine snakes pushing them around and knocking them off.
Closed Thread