border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-14, 06:41 PM   #46
bigsnakegirl785

Re: Another avoidable tragedy with live feeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
The look on the python's face is the hardest part to deal with. There are numerous photos all over the net where the snake is chewed up, but none where it's clearly visible the amount of pain the snake is enduring as it's eaten alive.

I am going to sticky the thread.
I know, I almost cried. The snake getting the mouse would have been much more humane than that snake being eaten alive for hours. I guarantee you that snake is still alive in this photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkedtongue View Post
This was off Reddit....

Guy said his room-mate put it in the cage and went to sleep, woke up and decided to take some cool brah pics and send them around.

(not sure if this is mentioned on the later pages, didn't get past the first page)
I was going to say the same thing. That's where I saw the photo first, and it's popping up everywhere now.
Old 01-17-14, 07:44 PM   #47
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Re: Another PREVENTABLE tragedy with live feeding

I'd almost guarantee that snake is dead.
Old 01-17-14, 07:48 PM   #48
bigsnakegirl785

I guess it could be, but it looks like it's lifting it's head up in the air. I know the gaping mouth isn't anything to go off of, but the snake would have to be alive to lift its head up. If it was alive, it wasn't alive for much longer. The photo could be misleading and it's head is actually against the glass, but just looking at it it doesn't look that way. Either way, it's a very inhumane way for that snake to die and I hope the owner learned from this mistake.
Old 01-17-14, 07:53 PM   #49
CosmicOwl

I'll play devils advocate here for a minute. What if that was somebody's pet rat that they decided to feed a snake to?
Old 01-17-14, 07:57 PM   #50
poison123

Mouse**** .....
Old 01-17-14, 07:57 PM   #51
poison123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl View Post
I'll play devils advocate here for a minute. What if that was somebody's pet rat that they decided to feed a snake to?
Where did you get that idea from?
Old 01-17-14, 08:19 PM   #52
CosmicOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison123 View Post
Where did you get that idea from?
It's a hypothetical question.
Old 01-18-14, 11:26 AM   #53
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl View Post
It's a hypothetical question.
I would not agree with it in the slightest if it was someone's pet. As long as it was bred/sold for the sole purpose of being snake food, it's fine. The snake has to eat, but there's no reason to use someone else's pet for food. I had plenty of chances to go get rabbits for Cloud this summer, but they were all pets whose owners would want them to go to good homes and be pets. I couldn't in good conscience feed one of them to my snake, so I looked for meat rabbits and I always let people know exactly what they were going to be used for.
Old 01-18-14, 11:33 AM   #54
erichillkeast

Edit - Post off topic
Old 01-23-14, 10:42 PM   #55
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Here is a link to the retic eating puppy story.

Leaving Facebook...
Login to remove ads
Old 01-23-14, 11:50 PM   #56
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

gruesome stuff Wayne

the ignorance or laziness of some keepers pisses me off,especially when as said,this entire incident was 100% avoidable

cheers shaun
Old 01-24-14, 07:13 AM   #57
kelzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post

Leaving Facebook...

Strictly idiotic.

Oh, reading his facebook posts were utterly painful due to his/her illiteracy.
Old 01-24-14, 12:16 PM   #58
CosmicOwl

Quote:

Leaving Facebook...
I'm sure it's been stated before, but people like that should not be allowed own pets, and they should have their children removed. This is how somebody's kid ends up getting killed and eaten by a python.
Old 01-24-14, 02:06 PM   #59
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:

Leaving Facebook...
People like that just need a freaking bullet in their head.
Old 01-24-14, 04:52 PM   #60
Snakefood
mamma bear

Re: Another avoidable tragedy with live feeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ink View Post
I have never bought into the whole they won't eat FT argument. 99% of all Australian snakes in captivity eat FT/FK. If a whole country can do it so can anyone else...
I used to think the same, I had bought snakes who had been fed live and easily transferred them onto F/T. Then I got my Mystic, who oddly enough was fed on F/T from hatching. I had him flown from Ontario-BC, and when he got here, I honestly thought he was dead, he was cold, didn't move a MUSCLE, even when I placed him on his back and his tongue was not only hanging out of his mouth, but literally plastered to the side of his head and covered one of his eyes!!!

Well, I was devastated. I phoned the breeder he came from told him that the snake arrived dead, and put the box in the car and went out for dinner (comfort food!) then I went home and decided I needed to send the breeder photos to prove that the snake was dead. When I opened up the box and took him out he was still cold but he moved!!

Anyways since coming home, I tried and tried for 4 months to feed him F/T, I used the anthem I learned here "wait him out", but as a baby, I was starting to be able to see the actual shape of his spine and ribs. I called the breeder and he suggested to see if he would eat live, obviously he told me to watch carefully until the prey was dead and never leave a live rodent alone with the snake. So I did and the Mystic jumped on the live food. I have tried many times to switch him over, to either F/K or F/T and he simply wont eat it, he'll eat it stunned as long as it still walks around, but if it is just laying there, he won't even look at it.

Out of all my snakes (21 in total) he is the only one who refuses anything but live. I can't explain it, and I agree it is a rare snake that won't take F/K or F/T, but it happens. It really does!!
Closed Thread