border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-19, 08:08 AM   #1
Chaichai

What size heat mat should I buy?

I’ve decided to switch from CHE to under tank heat. It’s just not enough heat for some days.

My tank for my BP is 3ft x 16” x 1ft. I believe it’s a 30gal. Everything online seems to be to small. What would be the appropriate size.

I also have a Mexican black king in a 20gal. But I’m worried the glass will burn him because he burrows. Even with a thermostat doesn’t the glass get to hot when heating everything above it??
Login to remove ads
Old 06-16-19, 08:41 AM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: What size heat mat should I buy?

It's important to understand that heat mats aren't for ambient temps. They are there solely to provide a hot spot.

If your CHE isn't enough, your best bet is to use both (ALL heat sources regulated by a thermostat). Use the UTH for a hot spot and the CHE for ambient temps. If your current CHE isn't enough, you may need a higher wattage.

So, when using a thermostat you set it for a hot spot, not to heat the enclosure.
Old 06-16-19, 01:03 PM   #3
Scubadiver59

For a 30gal tank...a 20-gal size should be sufficient since you'll want to keep your hide small as possible and yet allow the snake to squeeze into it.

You put your thermostat probe between the pad and the glass to ensure that it doesn't get too hot. If you don't have a laser temperature gun, get one. That way you can lase the glass on the inside of the tank and confirm that your thermostat is working correctly. Since Kingsnakes are burrowers, lase the glass and not the top of the substrate. You can use a temperature gauge or LED thermometer on the cool side to track temps.

If you really want to ensure that all your temperatures are correct, basking temp and UTH temp, you'll really need a two port thermostat (i.e. Spyder Robotics Herpstat or Vivarium Electronics, or similar type) to monitor and control the temperature of your UTH and the basking light. You can always move your basking light (close to far) away from the cage to adjust the temperature, but the thermostat can throttle the electricity and keep things under control. Now then, some lamps might not be able to be dimmed/throttled, so you'll have to check the lamp specs.

Last edited by Scubadiver59; 06-16-19 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-16-19, 07:09 PM   #4
Chaichai

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
It's important to understand that heat mats aren't for ambient temps. They are there solely to provide a hot spot.

If your CHE isn't enough, your best bet is to use both (ALL heat sources regulated by a thermostat). Use the UTH for a hot spot and the CHE for ambient temps. If your current CHE isn't enough, you may need a higher wattage.

So, when using a thermostat you set it for a hot spot, not to heat the enclosure.
Yes, I know that all of my snakes have a hot spot and a cool spot with a hide on each. I just wanted to know what size would be good for my tank since I can’t find larger sizes online. I have a CHE with higher wattage but I don’t want to use it because I want to provide my ball python with belly heat. If the UTH isn’t enough heat I will use both.
Old 06-16-19, 07:25 PM   #5
Chaichai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
For a 30gal tank...a 20-gal size should be sufficient since you'll want to keep your hide small as possible and yet allow the snake to squeeze into it.

You put your thermostat probe between the pad and the glass to ensure that it doesn't get too hot. If you don't have a laser temperature gun, get one. That way you can lase the glass on the inside of the tank and confirm that your thermostat is working correctly. Since Kingsnakes are burrowers, lase the glass and not the top of the substrate. You can use a temperature gauge or LED thermometer on the cool side to track temps.

If you really want to ensure that all your temperatures are correct, basking temp and UTH temp, you'll really need a two port thermostat (i.e. Spyder Robotics Herpstat or Vivarium Electronics, or similar type) to monitor and control the temperature of your UTH and the basking light. You can always move your basking light (close to far) away from the cage to adjust the temperature, but the thermostat can throttle the electricity and keep things under control. Now then, some lamps might not be able to be dimmed/throttled, so you'll have to check the lamp specs.

Do you think 8” x 12” will be enough? I’ve been told it should cover 1/3 of the tank. 12” covers that but the 8” covers half of the depth of the tank.

So say I stick the pad under the glass (outside of course) I stick the probe in between so it’s touching the glass and the pad?

Also what temperate can burn the snake so I know. I’ve Never thought of this issue since I have been using CHE for 6 years. His temp for his hot spot is 88 degrees. What should I set my thermostat at to get inside of the hide to 88 but to also no burn him with the glass.

Also I have a laser temp gun use it all the time. Love that thing. Haha sorry for all the questions just want to be sure
Login to remove ads
Old 06-16-19, 08:35 PM   #6
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaichai View Post
Yes, I know that all of my snakes have a hot spot and a cool spot with a hide on each. I just wanted to know what size would be good for my tank since I can’t find larger sizes online. I have a CHE with higher wattage but I don’t want to use it because I want to provide my ball python with belly heat. If the UTH isn’t enough heat I will use both.
What I'm trying to tell you is that the heat mat WON'T be enough.
You only want to set your heat mat to achieve an 88-89° hot spot to aid in digestion.
In order to create enough heat to get the ambient temps above 82 your hot spot would have to be jacked way up. They're not designed to raise ambient temps.

And it's very important to measure the actual surface of the hot spot. Snakes burrow, push substrate aside,etc...

In order to get the proper ambient temps you'll need to use both. The heat mat for the hot spot and the CHE for the ambient temps. Both regulated by a thermostat.
Old 06-22-19, 02:52 AM   #7
Chaichai

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
What I'm trying to tell you is that the heat mat WON'T be enough.
You only want to set your heat mat to achieve an 88-89° hot spot to aid in digestion.
In order to create enough heat to get the ambient temps above 82 your hot spot would have to be jacked way up. They're not designed to raise ambient temps.

And it's very important to measure the actual surface of the hot spot. Snakes burrow, push substrate aside,etc...

In order to get the proper ambient temps you'll need to use both. The heat mat for the hot spot and the CHE for the ambient temps. Both regulated by a thermostat.

Gotcha, I thought you meant something else.
Closed Thread