border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Photography Discussion.

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-15, 05:19 AM   #16
TxScarlet15

Re: What kind of snake is this?

Been silently stalking this thread , but out of curiosity what is the name of that facebook group Sylphie? Is it strictly corns or other species as well?
Old 09-03-15, 05:26 AM   #17
Sylphie

Corn Snakes Owners - Worldwide. Unfortunately it's only for corns, but there is also sister group to this one called Snake Owners Worldwide. I can also recommend group called Rat Snake Owners - Worldwide.

Sorry for a little offtopic
Old 09-03-15, 10:37 AM   #18
ManSlaughter33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
That are rather a big mices... it's weird that having one every week your corn is skinny, did he has a big enclosure, or something? I use mices around 2-3inch, and my corns are growing on them really fast (but they are 2yo so they still grow rapidly), unless when one of them was sick.
To be kinda fair my female corn snake (females tend to be smaller) is about 10+ years old.. shes really long and slender. but not sick looking..
I looked at my mice in the freezer theyre more about 3"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orville1.jpg (13.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-03-15, 10:51 AM   #19
chairman

The amount of food that a corn will need is quite variable. Age, sex, husbandry, and breeding status all matter.

I had an adult female corn that ate 5-6 mice weekly for about 6 months out of a year, 2-3 mice weekly for 3 months, and fasted the other 3 months (due to breeding/laying eggs). She was a beautiful, lean snake. During that same time period I had a male that wouldn't take more than 2 mice in a week. He was lean and healthy too.

Now I have a corn that would be a bottomless pit if I let him but I keep him to 2-3 mice a week. No weight issues there either, though his 4'x2' enclosure plays a role in that.
Old 09-03-15, 11:37 AM   #20
Sylphie

ManSlaughter wow, that's a big one, not weird that he needs more

And chairman I totally agree with you, it all matters, so that's why everyone should keep eye on their snakes and find out what's the best for them
Closed Thread

Tags
identify, snake, species