Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-12, 12:42 AM   #31
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Re: Reptillian Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I was hoping as a group we could find some information. Wayne said it best that nobody tests for "love" but I have a small lead on some brain activity of reptiles.

That's probably where to look. Not emotion but brain activity.

I am looking for the information so whenever this comes up I can post it so as to have some credit to what I'm saying
BwahaShahahaEhahahahahXhahahaha! Good luck with you being credible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ink View Post
Lets do one better to conclusive prove that snakes have emotions.... particularly the emotion of snakes "loving" their keepers.

Let's all take are snakes out into a suitable environment for them to thrive in and set them free...

afterall if you love something then set it free, if it comes back it loves you back... doesn't it?

We can all convene in a month to discuss our findings... we can not prove this without proper experimentation and proper statistical data to back us up?

Who's with me on this?
I'm in. I have three corns I can let go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Why is this important? Because someone is annoying? I believe the same as most of you, I just don't think it's important enough to give this much thought. If you have to start a concerted effort to track down information, and you don't have any luck... hello.
This is being discussed because we get all kinds of people coming on her that have snakes that just love them and them alone. Logical people get that that isn't how it works but these people get all upset and angry. So if we can compile some real evidence for those that lack the ability to use logic then we stop being haters and maybe they will gain some understanding.
Old 11-22-12, 01:39 AM   #32
Danimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
This is being discussed because we get all kinds of people coming on her that have snakes that just love them and them alone. Logical people get that that isn't how it works but these people get all upset and angry. So if we can compile some real evidence for those that lack the ability to use logic then we stop being haters and maybe they will gain some understanding.

I'm with you Korbin, my approach is just different. It is illogical and irrational, I just wonder how you are going to ever be able to have a rational conversation on that subject with those types of personalities. Outside of any imminent danger to the animal, is it really worth the effort?

I am not suggesting apathy here either, just pick better battles. We have quite a few to pick from. I think there needs to be more education to generate more interest in the hobby. I also think that we can't even talk to each other most of the time much less someone new to the hobby. Petty squabbling of the most insignificant difference of opinion on husbandry or semantics to make sure we have wiggle room out of a bad answer.
One disclaimer about the more negative part of my statement here.
I am not suggesting that no one ever gets helped here, but even in a helpful thread, it's the 3-5+ pages of infighting that seems counter productive.

Just saying that there are things that way on me more heavily than if Betty Jo thinks her lizard kisses her everyday when she gets home from work.
Old 11-22-12, 03:23 AM   #33
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
I'm with you Korbin, my approach is just different. It is illogical and irrational, I just wonder how you are going to ever be able to have a rational conversation on that subject with those types of personalities. Outside of any imminent danger to the animal, is it really worth the effort?

I am not suggesting apathy here either, just pick better battles. We have quite a few to pick from. I think there needs to be more education to generate more interest in the hobby. I also think that we can't even talk to each other most of the time much less someone new to the hobby. Petty squabbling of the most insignificant difference of opinion on husbandry or semantics to make sure we have wiggle room out of a bad answer.
I am not suggesting that no one ever gets helped here, but even in a helpful thread, it's the 3-5+ pages of infighting that seems counter productive.

Just saying that there are things that way on me more heavily than if Betty Jo thinks her lizard kisses her everyday when she gets home from work.
Lol! The problem is that some of these people are putting their pets and our hobby in serious danger. Now does that mean they will listen? Nope. If ignorance is bliss most of those people are orgasmic. So why would they listen?
Old 11-22-12, 06:45 AM   #34
StudentoReptile

Quote:

Well said. As long as Betty Jo cares for her lizard responsibly and properly, and doesn't walk around in public with it in a handbag like she's a Kardashian, I really could care less if she thinks it "loves" her or not.
Old 11-22-12, 07:18 AM   #35
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentoReptile View Post
Well said. As long as Betty Jo cares for her lizard responsibly and properly, and doesn't walk around in public with it in a handbag like she's a Kardashian, I really could care less if she thinks it "loves" her or not.
This is where I am at too, I may think it's a little fruity, but as long as the animal is getting proper care, it's needs are met and it's not getting mauled to death, then big whoop.

Savannahmonitor.net
Login to remove ads
Old 11-22-12, 09:52 AM   #36
jarich

I actually was enjoying the trend these last few comments were showing and so thought about not commenting further. However, I did find something rather funny about the certainty displayed in this thread, especially given that the foremost authorities in the world on this subject aren't that certain yet. Words like 'fact', 'logic', and 'rationality' keep getting used throughout, yet not a single person could come up with a single piece of research to back it up. Some simplistic case of an interpretation of animal behaviour that you assume to be right, but could easily be interpreted otherwise, is not research or proof of anything. The real shame of it is, that there is a great deal of interesting research on this topic, and the one person (Falconeer) who put up a starting point, was largely ignored.

So what you are all saying then is that you had an opinion, you saw some conjectural evidence to make you think its right, you assume your opinion is 'fact', 'logic' and 'rational', wont even consider a different opinion and you make fun of others for thinking otherwise.

I think its funny because its exactly what the people you are making fun of have done. They too started with an opinion, saw some conjectural evidence that made them think it was right, and assumed it was logical, rational etc. Which means, I suppose, the only difference between you and them is that they arent making fun of you for your beliefs.

I guess what I am saying is that you have your beliefs (that reptiles have no emotions) and that is all they are until you actually have some proof to say otherwise. So too with people who believe that reptiles can love them or whatever. Youre both in the same uneducated boat and until you decide to do something to get out of it, your ridicule of the other occupants seems ridiculous.
Old 11-22-12, 09:54 AM   #37
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

The overwhelming amount of evidence from experienced keepers of these animals is that they DONT have emotions so in that situation i would look to the opposers of thsi view to provide the evidence
Old 11-22-12, 10:38 AM   #38
jarich

Again Rob, that's not evidence, that's conjecture and assumption.
Old 11-22-12, 11:26 AM   #39
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarich View Post
Again Rob, that's not evidence, that's conjecture and assumption.
I attempted to find some published scientific articles regarding the topic. There weren't many, but I found a few, but I wasn't allowed access to the full text. I'll try again through my university's database later and see if I can find anything.

~Maggot
Old 11-22-12, 09:27 PM   #40
StudentoReptile

The tricky part is truly defining emotion, a very subjective concept within itself.

And we're trying to apply this to animals that have no means of facial expression, no vocalization (with few exceptions), limited gesturing.

Even comparing a lizard to a dog, you're going to come up short. Dogs wag their tails when they are "happy/friendly/cordial." What does a lizard do when its happy? I haven't a clue. So to prove they have emotion, you have to prove they can express it.

I think crossing the intelligence barrier is the first step, but my instincts tell me that there really is nothing there in the emotion dept when it comes to reptiles.

Let's look at the animals we do know have some level of emotion: canines, felines, cetaceans, elephants, primates, some birds. Most of these are animals that have established social groups, and all are species that have relatively lengthy time spans for rearing offspring (some for many years!). Yeah, there are a couple exceptions here and there of lizard species being communal or pair-bonding, or the offspring stays with the parent(s) for an extended period...but none of these really compare to what we see in the mammal and avian world. I just don't see it.

I don't have all the answers, but until there is sufficient evidence that suggests otherwise, there is a unique combination of intelligence and complex social behavior that allows for a particular species to possess emotion. I have yet to see it in any reptile.
Old 11-25-12, 01:27 AM   #41
Ryodraco

Quote:
Let's look at the animals we do know have some level of emotion: canines, felines, cetaceans, elephants, primates, some birds. Most of these are animals that have established social groups, and all are species that have relatively lengthy time spans for rearing offspring (some for many years!). Yeah, there are a couple exceptions here and there of lizard species being communal or pair-bonding, or the offspring stays with the parent(s) for an extended period...but none of these really compare to what we see in the mammal and avian world. I just don't see it.

I don't have all the answers, but until there is sufficient evidence that suggests otherwise, there is a unique combination of intelligence and complex social behavior that allows for a particular species to possess emotion. I have yet to see it in any reptile.
In all I've read I'd say the highest form of reptilian intelligence is found in crocodilians, and new discoveries about what they are capable of seem to be made all the time.

I recall a documentary that showed some remarkable behavior from a caiman (I think it was "Life of Reptiles"). Said caiman was the only adult left in a pond full of young caiman. She had essentially become their guardian, although most were not actually her babies. Nothing too strange there as crocodilians will protect young that are not their own, but her staying there while all the other females left was certainly strange.

It had parallels to the behavior of varous birds where one individual will remain to look after the young of many parents. The most amazing part came next though, when the pond got low. The adult caiman left the pond one night to seek a new, fuller water hole. Incredibly the young followed her out of the safety of the water and onto a large expanse of dry land. For some time they travelled. The adult was a good deal faster, but she would routinely stop, appearing to "wait" for the young to catch up. Eventually she led them to a new water hole.

Evidence of emotion? No. But behavioral complexity, even "thinking" rivaling the so-called "higher" animals? Perhaps so.

So I do think studying the limits and complexity of reptilian behavior is quite a worthy cause. Even if they are not capable of feeling things in a way that a bird or mammal might, I think it's fair to say there could be many surprises inside their heads as to what they are capable of.
Old 11-25-12, 07:00 AM   #42
StudentoReptile

Could be explained as such: while yes, the young caiman weren't her own, and therefore she had no obligation to further her own genetic material, the adult lone female may simply have been doing what she could to preserve/further the success of her species in general...which is why animals exist in the first place.

Mind you, do not be disillusioned into thinking that she was making these choices consciously. I would wager a lot was instinct, as was the young's action to follow her (self-preservation?).
Old 11-25-12, 07:40 AM   #43
Ryodraco

Quote:
Could be explained as such: while yes, the young caiman weren't her own, and therefore she had no obligation to further her own genetic material, the adult lone female may simply have been doing what she could to preserve/further the success of her species in general...which is why animals exist in the first place.
It's been my impression that the majority of animal behavior doesn't care much about the survival of a species in general, but the individual's own genetic material or closely related material (albeit there are many exceptions). It's why lion males who take over prides will kill or drive away all the young from the previous male.

Quote:
Mind you, do not be disillusioned into thinking that she was making these choices consciously. I would wager a lot was instinct, as was the young's action to follow her (self-preservation?).
A lot certainly was instinct, but if any of it wasn't instinct it still shows the amazing things the reptile mind might be capable of.
Old 03-12-13, 04:42 AM   #44
MH4C

Sorry for bumping up this 3 month old topic, but as a neuroscientist I find the topic of 'awareness/emotion' in all animals interesting, and as a snake keeper especially in snakes. The whole problem with thinking your snake is happy/sad or any other human emotion is that we project our own view of an experience on the snake. When your snake, or any other animal for that matter, is happily dozing away after eating a meal, we would call it content with it's position, because that is what we would be when placed in that exact position.
We don't know what, or even if, an animal feels the same way. Only for mammals we have an indication that something is going on at the emotional level, as extensive research has been done on brain activity during 'emotional' tasks or settings like relapse to an addicted state in rats or social interaction by rats that have been made 'depressed'. There are even what you could call 'clinical symptoms' for these conditions, which don't diverge that far from what we see in addicted or depressed humans.

To my knowledge there have not been any studies regarding emotional awareness or pathological emotional states in reptiles, however, my knowledge on this is still limited (thanks falconeer999 for the website...will be spending quite some time there ). What I do know is that many reptiles can learn and that snakes, widely regarded as the simplest of reptiles, can be trained to recognize spatial cues and efficiently navigate 3D space. This research group trained cornsnakes on in a round chamber with 8 evenly spaced holes in the floor around the rim. 7 of these holes were cover from underneath so the snake could not climb in, but the cover was only visible when the snake reached the hole, and a white card was placed on one side of the chamber. similar setups have also been widely used with spatial recognition training in mice and rats this is generally called the 'Barnes maze'. After training (placing the snake in the maze in the same orientation each time, leaving the same hole as an escape hole) the snakes became more efficient and goal-directed towards the escape hole, showing they can recognize environmental ques to efficiently navigate a familiar environment.

Although this doesn't answer anything about the question 'do reptiles have emotions or feelings' it shows that they have a complex brain which can learn and integrate somatosensory and behavioural patterns. Who knows what else we can learn about reptiles and cognition. I'll keep digging, this is pretty interesting stuff and I didn't know there was this much research about it out there, and let you guys know if I find something worthwhile to maybe answer this ever ongoing discussion .
Old 03-12-13, 10:08 AM   #45
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

I didn't know you were a neuroscientist, M4HC! I am too; it's great to meet another sciencey type on here! I'm actually just about to get my Ph.D. in a month (*cold sweat*) on the topic of how Ritalin exposure early in life affects cortical function and development. I have found this thread to be very interesting as well.

The fact is that we have no way of objectively measuring another being's perception of an event. Even when it comes to people, two humans can experience the same sensory stimulus, and interpret it differently;thus each having a distinct conscious experience of it. For example...poking two people with a wire might cause pain to one and tickle the other. What do they feel? Why? Why is it different? We don't know.

We have animal models of addiction, depression, and many disorders like schizophrenia and Alzheimer's disease, but these are just functional models...we can't say for sure the rat experiences depression in the same way that a human does.

A few decades ago, we all thought birds were stupid. "Bird brain" was an insult...however, Dr. Irene Pepperberg's work with Alex the African grey parrot changed all that and showed that Alex was capable of intelligent use of language and understanding the meaning of words. I own an African grey, and he is very clever and intelligent.
So who knows what we will find out about reptiles in the next few decades? I'm excited and curious to find out....
Closed Thread