border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-17, 02:43 PM   #1
Scubadiver59

An Albert Clark Offspring...

Picked up one of Al's worms last week but forgot to post some pics...

The blue stripes are starting to come in now but it doesn't show up in the photographs yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red1.jpg (52.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg red2.jpg (63.0 KB, 98 views)
Old 08-08-17, 04:28 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: An Albert Clark Offspring...

Very nice addition Scuba. Looking forward to seeing more pics as the little one grows.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 08-08-17, 05:02 PM   #3
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Omg I can't wait for mine!

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 08-08-17, 11:51 PM   #4
Albert Clark

Thanks Sd! She looks amazing. Already missed over here. Glad she went to a good home.
Old 08-09-17, 01:37 AM   #5
dave himself

Beautiful snake mate, I'm looking forward to seeing lots more pictures of this wee one. @ Albert another fine specimen you produced there mate
Login to remove ads
Old 08-09-17, 08:34 AM   #6
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Awesome! Looking forward to more pics as colours develop.
Old 08-09-17, 08:45 AM   #7
dannybgoode

Very nice. I have a tank that'd be ideal for some garters kicking around and I'm tempted to get it set up as I can source some nice stock at the expo next month.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 08-15-17, 06:27 PM   #8
SerpentineDream

What a cutie!

I have a couple of freshly minted CRS garter worms from Albert too. They are beautiful but they won't hold still for love or money, which makes pics difficult. They've got speed, too. I could enter them in a NASCAR race and if they avoided getting run over they'd probably beat those cars. I'll get 'em one of these days though.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 08-15-17, 11:43 PM   #9
toddnbecka

I received my new baby from Albert last week. Haven't seen her outside of the ceramic cave since I put her into the tub. Do the CA red sides take guppies from their water bowl like some other species, or should I try chopped earthworms first?
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 08-16-17, 04:58 AM   #10
Scubadiver59

I tried fish first (make sure you do research on which species don't contain thiaminase which depletes vitamin b1), then mice parts, then mice parts scented w/fish...it didn't eat anything for the first few days. Finally, I tried chopped up night crawlers and she practically took the tongs with the food!

If you keep feeding worms, get some Reptivite to coat them with so the snake gets some calcium; or, do what I'm going to do tonight, scent some mouse parts with chopped up night crawler and offer that so you don't have to use the Reptivite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
I received my new baby from Albert last week. Haven't seen her outside of the ceramic cave since I put her into the tub. Do the CA red sides take guppies from their water bowl like some other species, or should I try chopped earthworms first?
Old 08-16-17, 08:53 AM   #11
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineDream View Post
What a cutie!

I have a couple of freshly minted CRS garter worms from Albert too. They are beautiful but they won't hold still for love or money, which makes pics difficult. They've got speed, too. I could enter them in a NASCAR race and if they avoided getting run over they'd probably beat those cars. I'll get 'em one of these days though.
Thanks.SD! They are blessed with the speed to do the impossible. Lol. Can't wait for the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
Yes they definitely take mostly any fish that they can fit into their mouths. Especially live flopping fish that will add to a feeding response. Remember, these guys are red legged frog eaters
in the wild and have a affinity for quick movements to trigger a feeding response. They were all pretty much accepting pinkie parts cut up and scented with silversides and occaisionally with minnows. Some actually took whole f/t extra small pink mice. Fish should really be used as a scenting tool for pink mice parts. Feeding f/t silversides mixed in with the pinkie parts is a great thing. Minnow scented pink parts is irresistible for them. Mostly it's easier to put all their food in a shallow dish on the floors and of the enclosure and allow them to feed at their own convenience. Nightcrawlers are great also but are mostly moisture with minimum solid nutritional value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
I tried fish first (make sure you do research on which species don't contain thiaminase which depletes vitamin b1), then mice parts, then mice parts scented w/fish...it didn't eat anything for the first few days. Finally, I tried chopped up night crawlers and she practically took the tongs with the food!

If you keep feeding worms, get some Reptivite to coat them with so the snake gets some calcium; or, do what I'm going to do tonight, scent some mouse parts with chopped up night crawler and offer that so you don't have to use the Reptivite.
True Sd, Reptivite should only be given occaisionally and not at every feed. Fish scented pinkie parts are a great choice as is nightcrawler scented pink parts. Try s entire a whole extra small pinky with either and see how quick the whole pink is devoured.
Old 08-16-17, 02:53 PM   #12
Scubadiver59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Minnow scented pink parts is irresistible for them.

True Sd, Reptivite should only be given occaisionally and not at every feed. Fish scented pinkie parts are a great choice as is nightcrawler scented pink parts. Try an entire whole extra small pinky with either and see how quick the whole pink is devoured.
Except for my worm...worms were all it had an interest in, and tonight I'm going to try worm-scented pinkie parts since I don't get XS pinkies where I order from. I'll let you know how that works out.

The good thing is that when I cut up the night crawler, I give the rest, and biggest part of the crawler, to my Anerythristic Plains Garter as a snack.
Old 08-16-17, 03:51 PM   #13
toddnbecka

I'm thinking to get some endler's livebearers to raise for feeders for a while, the feeder guppies at the lfs are usually infested with TB. Have a fair number of small cichlids on hand that will be suitable food when she's larger, good for scenting now though.

I haven't tried feeding her yet, was thinking to start with a small earthworm. Usually can find suitable size ones under the bricks outside the basement door. I remember reading somewhere that baby garter snakes eat earthworms for their first year. Seems to me they'd need calcium too though.

No red legged frogs locally, though I could round up a few small salamanders if necessary. There's a creek a short walk from my house, have found mountain dusky, spotted, and mud salamanders there back in the day.

I breed loads of mice, can easily snatch a few newborn pinks aka redhots out of a tub. How often should they be fed those?
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 08-16-17, 04:06 PM   #14
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

What is TB on a fish?

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 08-16-17, 05:26 PM   #15
toddnbecka

Tuberculosis, highly contagious disease, though fortunately the strain that infects fish doesn't affect people or other warm-blooded animals. I wouldn't want to experiment with feeding infected fish to snakes to see if it would infect them too. Feeder guppies are typically kept in extremely crowded conditions, and naturally it spreads more quickly and easily. Looks like little grey lumps or tumors on the fish.
Back when I had hundreds of fish I raised endler's for feeders for some of those for the same reason. Not sure whether it would be contagious from eating infected fish, but not worth the risk. Unlike most guppies, endler's never eat their offspring, so you can relatively quickly establish a large enough breeding population from a dozen or two.

On another note, I found 2 really small earthworms, and the wee garter snake happily ate those. I simply prefer suitable size worms to chopping larger ones up, and buying a dozen large ones at a time most would die before they'd get eaten by such a small baby.

Last edited by toddnbecka; 08-16-17 at 05:36 PM..
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread