border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-14, 12:07 AM   #1
Mack0331

Dumeril's boa food size question

Hello

I am new to boas. Last week my wife came home with a Dumeril's boas. I have been reading tons about them but figured it would be good to post some pics and ask here. We were told it's 2 years old looks a little small to me but like I said I'm new. We were told it's been feed live food it's whole life so that's what to feed it. We got a small rat with it about the size of a mouse. It ate it writhing a few hours. I'm not sure that size is big enough for it though. It didn't make much of a noticeable lump in it. It has a fairly small head though so I'm not sure if I should feed it a bigger rat next time. Here are a few pics. What's your advice? Are small mouse size rats ok or should I try a bigger one? Thanks for any advice. I'm new to this and don't want up do anything stupid. H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.0 KB, 84 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 01-27-14, 01:09 AM   #2
Boots
Forum Moderator

Welcome to our community.

While now a days most people would say not to feed it live, it take some training to get a snake to eat pre killed. Of course that is not your question, but I thought I would mention it before someone else jumps in and says not to. Twenty years ago, that is all we feed our snakes, but there was not much options at the time. We also never had the option of feed rats as live rats are illegal to own. That said, I would not expect to see any massive lump, but maybe a slight budge maybe a little bigger, and there is nothing to say that you can not feed more then one.

One thing that I did find a little worrisome, but I am sure I am not reading it right is the "few hours" as I would not want to leave any rodent in the tank for an extended period of time as I have seen issues when the rodent attacks a snake. Which is one of the reasons pre killed makes so much sense now a days.

That said, I am sure others will fill in any blanks I left, so I will just say again, welcome to our community.

Jason
Old 01-27-14, 01:29 AM   #3
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Re: Dumeril's boa food size question

Here are a couple of threads you may find relevant.

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/food-...-question.html

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/food-...e-feeding.html

I personally feed my boas (bci) larger meals less often and will try to find a picture of my albino eating a rabbit. I have never owned a dum but there are several threads on here about them.
Old 01-27-14, 09:22 AM   #4
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Looking at how young your snake is "it's whole life" hasn't been that long. I would look into frozen/thawed feeding right away before it vecomes difficult to switch. Congrats on the new boa and welcome.
Old 01-27-14, 11:40 AM   #5
limey

I would agree with what the guys above already said. Best to look into feeding frozen/thawed whenever it becomes feasible to do so, ie- as soon as possible.

Not that I'm saying this would ever happen to you for sure, but I have seen some horrible pics and videos of snakes getting mauled or attacked by live prey. It is very disturbing. Go frozen. Thaw it out and gently heat it up a bit in warm water, then feed it by doing the "zombie dance" - that is making the prey look alive by wiggling it around etc.

I would also say that of course in the wild dumerils or any snake would not always get the perfect size prey to cause a good lump, mostly they will eat whatever they can get... however, I have always found it simpler, better for the snake and better on your wallet to go for larger prey less often. Rather than multiple smaller prey. You'll notice over the long term buying lots of smaller feeders will cost you more.

Don't worry about the head size of your boa - trust me when I say the large constrictors are built for taking large prey. You would be surprised what a young boa or python can swallow. Maybe try frozen rat pups? If you go to your local pet store, you can look in the fridge and see what the next size up would be and buy that and give it a try.

Welcome to ssnakess. Hope you stick around!

Nice looking Dum you've got there!

Last edited by limey; 01-27-14 at 11:51 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 01-27-14, 01:14 PM   #6
Mack0331

Before I started looking up stuff about snakes when my wife brought this one home I had no idea people fed them frozen things. I assumed all snakes ate live food. I understand leaving a large rat overnight or something might not be good I guess my way of though is no one is serving them up frozen food in the wild. I'll be sure to keep a eye on it if I continue up feed it live rats. The shop we got him or her I have no idea lol sells rats for $2 so price isn't a issue. Thanks for the advice. I might try a slightly larger rat next time nothing crazy though.
Old 01-27-14, 04:06 PM   #7
LadyWraith

I didn't know people fed frozen either until I started doing research. And I think of it this way, in the wild a snake has the opportunity to escape from a prey item. In capitivity, the snake is locked in a box with it and has no where to escape that a rat/mouse can't get to. Also, rats are predatory in their own right. Frozen thaw is just a preventable way to make sure well documented accidents don't occur.

- 1.0 Spider BP (Jax) - 0.1 SSTP (Nik)- 1.0 Salmon BCI (Malcolm)
Old 01-27-14, 06:37 PM   #8
Mack0331

Yeah that makes sense. I never would have beloved a rat killed a boa if I hadn't seen the pics. Since the place we got it from said it only eats live and I guess in a kind of sick way it's fun to watch I mean weather the snake kills it or it's killed and froze it's still the same end result I think I will continue to do that and just be sure to keep a close eye on it when it's feeding time. As for my original question about size I think I got some good advice so thanks. I think I will try a slightly bigger rat next time nothing crazy though. I never thought of a snake as a pet and I really wasn't sure when my wife brought it home I'm not scared of them or anything. I was just worried about what we were going to do with it when it's 6 feet long. But I really like it it's a pretty cool pet and my 4 year old son loves it. My 1 1/2 year old daughter gets a kick out of it. So I think my wife did good.
Old 01-27-14, 08:49 PM   #9
Cruddown

My Dumeril's switched to frozen thawed with no problem. I didn't even have to wiggle it. It wouldn't hurt to try just leaving it on a paper plate after it's thawed and alone with the snake. I always turn off the lights in the room just in case, but I don't think my snake minds.

My dum is slightly bigger than yours and eats small rats that have the same girth as the snake. There doesn't seem to be a standard size for small rats, but the ones I buy are about 50-60 grams from Petco, probably a small, recently-weaned rat. It leaves a noticeable lump and she's never had an issue eating.

They grow slowly so you'll have some time to get a nice enclosure ready for when it's an adult. They seem to do well in enclosures that aren't too big and spacious. They're great snakes.

Last edited by Cruddown; 01-27-14 at 08:59 PM..
Old 01-27-14, 10:29 PM   #10
rocknhorse76

That snake can easily handle a small frozen rat from Petco or Petsmart if that's your only source for frozen. I'd highly recommend switching from live to frozen while the snake is still young in order to avoid possible injuries in the future.
As far as your concern about the size of the snake when its an adult, I wouldn't worry about it too much. My adult male is over 6 feet long and over 10 lbs, but you'd never know it when he's in his enclosure.
Old 01-28-14, 12:15 AM   #11
xSerpentGoddess

I have 2 dumeril's boas, and I've worked with probably 10 total. I find them to be on the picky side and don't generally like large meals. My 5 1/2 foot female typically skips a week if she does take a large meal. Because your feeding live you can't feed as large as you could if you were doing dead or frozen. They also seem to be particular as to weather they like frozen or f/k, babies in particular. I typically don't have a very hard time getting them off live food.
Closed Thread