border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > Front Page Polls

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you handle your snakes?
As often as I can, very frequently 28 13.86%
A couple times a day or so 37 18.32%
Once a day maybe if I can 56 27.72%
Only as necessary to maintain them properly 20 9.90%
once or twice a week 50 24.75%
once or twice a month 11 5.45%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-11, 06:23 PM   #31
Stormy Night
Banned

Re: How often do you handle your snakes?

Yea. My husband owns his own dojo, aikibudo. My son is into tang soo doo. And I'm all over the place. We all study pressure points and things that make ppl go boom. It is very true. Just like the Vulcan neck pinch in star treck. You hit...they go down.I have a friend that has a huuuge blood python. Its a thick as a damned tree. He wears it around his neck. If that snake decided to attack there's nothing I could do. Not That blood pythons aren't notoriously friendly and love to be held....<----sarcasm.
Old 05-04-11, 10:41 PM   #32
KD35WIN.AS.ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Night View Post
Its only a few months old. Maybe a lil more than a foot. I think I'm safe. There's no way I'd have a 6 footer wraped around my neck. That's insane.
wow i have 7 ft + snake around my neck all the time, never looked at it as "insane" though. LOL To each his own though.
Old 05-04-11, 10:50 PM   #33
Stormy Night
Banned

Very true. I have PTS (post traumatic stress) with snakes around my neck. I've seen a Guy get bit in the face by an 8' red tail and it wraped around him. It took 6 ppl to pull it off. Poured vodka in its mouth...they did all sorts of crap. They were just about to cut it off him and it let go. The last thing he said before the bite was "naw. She's lap dog friendly". And he patted her head on his shoulder. He has some serious scaring on his face. So my first issue is not wanting to get bit. But my more important issue is I'm by myself most of the time. If something happened and I couldn't get it off I'd freaking die. So call me a puss but I like to avoid situations that have the possibility of my death as a repercussion.
Old 05-05-11, 09:35 AM   #34
KD35WIN.AS.ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Night View Post
So call me a puss but I like to avoid situations that have the possibility of my death as a repercussion.
No... id call you smart, you stated more then enough reason. Keep in mind the 7footer i own is a Carpet Python, slimmer by a good margin to a Red Tail Boa. (at similar size.)
Old 05-05-11, 10:07 AM   #35
marvelfreak
Captain America

I had a 8 an 1/2 foot RTB get spooked while wrapped around my neck. She tighten up and in under 10 second choked me out. I fell, hit my head, was out cold, and tuning blue. I got lucky my brother in law and sister in law showed up just then. If they hadn't pulled her off of me i would be dead.
I am a big guy and i always thought i could easily pull her off. When you can breath you can really do much of anything. ONE VERY important rule is never let them make a complete loop around your neck. Anything over 7 feet you should always have help around in case something were to go wrong.
Old 05-05-11, 10:20 AM   #36
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Choking is one thing - they need a decent coil round to cut off breath - with the pressure points it is literally one finger tip used to put anyone on the floor unconscious - again not saying our snakes are ninjas - they could quite easily hit the points with no intent and put you out.
Old 05-05-11, 06:24 PM   #37
Stormy Night
Banned

Its amazing how hard they can coil. just looking at them wraped around a rat doesnt really cut it. when we tried to pry "muffin" off tony it was like trying to wiggle your fingers into concrete. theres zero give. *flash back* LOL! this other guy, tonys best friend grabbed a broom stick and started wacking muffin! but he was nailing tony to. when she struck he had his arm up and she coiled around him but under his arm and not on his neck. So anyway hes on the ground getting eaten and beat with a broom. He opens his hand ( the one over his head) and says "duude...stop the broom". so his friend did, And then came back with a bottle of vodka. Hes pouring it in the snakes mouth...thats biting into tonys cheek. tonys gasping and bubbeling, the vodka made his blood run more. hes screaming because it was in his eyes. LOL. god man. fun times. Rule #1. just like "dont drink and drive".."dont drink and hold giant snakes".
he refused to go to the hospital for some dumb reason. since i have a medical back ground i got saddled with cleaning, stitches and a drain. fun fun. Lucky him i happened to keep extra antibiotics around. ..And considering he was just going to duct tape his cheek and carry on...wtf man..
This may be one of those "you had to be there" moments. It was actually kinda funny. T was laughing the whole time he was sceaming...and bleeding.
Well kiddies. There are several morals to this story.
Old 05-05-11, 06:50 PM   #38
Reptile_Reptile
You can call me JR

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_lhu328TBKH1qe11kdo1_500.jpg (24.4 KB, 71 views)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. -John Lennon
Old 05-05-11, 08:22 PM   #39
Stormy Night
Banned

lmao. exactly
Old 05-16-11, 06:38 PM   #40
drtmgrt

I have a ball and a corn and if I hold one more than once a month its the ball. mainly just let um alone to explore, there such fascinating critters.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-03-11, 05:42 PM   #41
lambert

Send a message via MSN to lambert Send a message via Yahoo to lambert

I try to handle my snakes, all three of them, multiple times a day!! I think the more you handle them, the more less likely you are to getting bit by them and the more tame and docile they are. If I don't have time for more than once a day, they are at least handled once a day! Seeming how two are Burmese, and roughly 6 feet long and my one Ball who is just over 4 feet, I need them to remain my pets, and I really feel in order to have that happen, they need just as much attention as you would a cat or dog. Just my opinion!!
Old 06-03-11, 11:20 PM   #42
Jay
Bcc fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambert View Post
I try to handle my snakes, all three of them, multiple times a day!! I think the more you handle them, the more less likely you are to getting bit by them and the more tame and docile they are. If I don't have time for more than once a day, they are at least handled once a day! Seeming how two are Burmese, and roughly 6 feet long and my one Ball who is just over 4 feet, I need them to remain my pets, and I really feel in order to have that happen, they need just as much attention as you would a cat or dog. Just my opinion!!
You are most likely stressing your snakes out, they will never become tame.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayyboy16?feature=mhee
Old 06-03-11, 11:32 PM   #43
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0133 View Post
You are most likely stressing your snakes out, they will never become tame.
Jay speaketh the truth.
Old 06-04-11, 12:28 AM   #44
lambert

Send a message via MSN to lambert Send a message via Yahoo to lambert

I don't think I stress them out. They are more than willing to come out of their 100 gallon aquarium. If I open the lid to put fresh water in, which is a daily thing, they wanna come out. What am I suppose to do, tell them no, and shove them back in???? If it was stressful for them, wouldn't they just stay in the tank when I opened the lid???? Just food for thought!!! I don't "make" them do anything they don't want to do. They have minds of their own, I just let them do as they please.
Old 06-04-11, 08:42 AM   #45
Jay
Bcc fanatic

I am 100% sure that your snakes are not interested in being held. They are most likely attracted to your body heat, and are exploring. Unlike a dog who runs at you when you walk in the door because they are exited to see you.
Note: This animal is not tame, tolerable yes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayyboy16?feature=mhee
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread